Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Question on Alpha drive with 330Hp big block? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/217217-question-alpha-drive-330hp-big-block.html)

mslitti 09-21-2009 08:35 AM

Question on Alpha drive with 330Hp big block?

Question on Alpha drive with 330Hp big block? I have a 1989 250 sport Baja with a big block in it now, with out the out drive. It had a Bravo, but it is long gone (the out drive, Gimbel and transom plate) I have a chance to get a good Alpha out drive with the Gimbel set up for free, but what Alpha drive would I need with this set up? I was told that there is only one Alpha I can use because of the gear ratio. My questions is, will the Alpha Gimbel work with all the Bravo holes in the transom with out cutting or drilling anything? and what Alpha out drive can I use with the big block? if it is just the gear ratio, how can I tell what gear ratio a Alpha out drive has? Also can I use any year Alpha out drive and Gimbel for this set up?

Shorgasm 09-21-2009 08:43 AM

Basically, there are two Alpha's.Gen1 and GenII.You really want the later.The drive ratio will be stamped on the port side of the drive near the mercruiser stickers.

I'm not sure on the transom holes.I do know the alpha and bravo do not interchange gimbal/bellhousing/drive at all.two different animals.

On to the real issue.While 330hp is not the issue the torque is with BB's and that kills the Alpha's...well moreso with strong holeshots.

I would sell the free Alpha set-up and use the coin to fund a good used Bravo set-up.I wouldn't mess with doing the reverse conversion.It's a step in the wrong direction for many reasons.

Smitty 09-21-2009 08:44 AM

Don't bother with the Alpha.

It will not last behind a big block and a boat that heavy.

Look around for a Bravo and put it back together.

puder 09-21-2009 11:23 AM

unless it has the stouter 1.32 gear the alphas a no go. even with the 1.32 gears it's overstressed.

GLH 09-21-2009 12:45 PM

I had a Baja Sport 220 with a 365hp Big block and an Alpha, worked ok for me for a while but the 220 is much smaller boat than what you have. The guy that bought that boat from me blew the whole thing up after about a year.

I would not recommend an Alpha for your bigger boat, it will cost you more then the extra coin it would for you to find yourself a Bravo, that will do a fine job.

HTRDLNCN 09-21-2009 12:57 PM

while I run an Alpha/bigblock
if it had been set upfor bravo then I would use that.
Right now its a buyers market and used Bravos can be had for a song,
I have seen 5 nice Bravos sell for between $1000-1500 within last month.

mmareno 09-21-2009 01:50 PM

the bravo gimbal has two more holes then the alpha. I had a 1989 Baja that was an alpha boat with big blocks. I put the bravo's on it . In 1985-1988 they did that. Big blocks with Alpha..

It will work.. You can't hole shot it!! or free wheel it. It is for cruisin.. Easy does it when getting on plane. The did make a harder Gear... (I bought plenty for my old stinger) If it for free... I say try it. AS LONG as you are not planning on running hard!

But Like everyone else... Bravo is the way for you to go.. But you may get a season or two out of the alpha if you baby it!!

masi242 09-22-2009 07:08 PM

I would stay with the Bravo, I do have the BBC/alpha on a Formula 242 with a couple hundred hours and it`s fine. I would spend the money know you will be happier.

AIR TIME 09-22-2009 11:22 PM

that 250 weights 4500lbs or so don't do it I seen them on the 24 sport 87s the guys hated them. theres deals on here I am selling my baja ol without power has a hd gimbal and stock bravo drive still on it, but may sell the drive and gimbal for 3grand with rebuilt rams and I have hyd steering for 1200 more. what state you in I am in mass.

mslitti 09-23-2009 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 2958592)
that 250 weights 4500lbs or so don't do it I seen them on the 24 sport 87s the guys hated them. theres deals on here I am selling my baja ol without power has a hd gimbal and stock bravo drive still on it, but may sell the drive and gimbal for 3grand with rebuilt rams and I have hyd steering for 1200 more. what state you in I am in mass.

I am in Michigan