Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette >

Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Notices

Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Old 04-09-2002, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

And I suppose you'll say next that I converted Boat Nut into a Thunder fan also You will see our transom, allright,
Old 04-09-2002, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ScreaminDemon

Let me start by saying that Cigarette is an outstanding ride. The new step hulls fly level, and are great in rough water. The Active Thunder not only flies level, but also has a much softer landing than Cigarette.
On 4’-6’ seas, the Active Thunder never landed on it’s side, or out of shape regardless of head on, quartering or following seas. I have heard that a twin step hull, especially a Cigarette, has the ability to stay in the water better than a single step, therefore able to go faster by keeping the prop in the water. I did not find this to be true. The AT was able to remain in the water just as well as the Cigarette if not better. I hope you understand that the Cigarette Top Gun and the Gladiator both ride great. I just feel the AT is better. I know this is hard to believe. I found this difficult to believe myself. That is why I requested a second ride from AT. It did not take long on that second ride to know that my feelings where right. If you can get a ride in a Cigarette and an Active Thunder on the same day, under the same sea conditions then I think you will get the best comparison. Again some say they went with AT because it was the better value. I would have bought a Cigarette if the ride and handling where better. But they where not. If you remember my original thread, ride was my first priority. The cabin amenities where least important. I also had a concern about value. I searched Boat Trader on line, Yacht World, BUCNET, OSO and a handful of well-known dealers. They’re where less then three 37’s available across the US, and maybe eight 25,28,32 boat’s available. Since AT has been building boats for 13 years. I am guessing they have built 300+ boats. That is not many used boats for sale. The owners appear to be happy with them and it appears the resale is quite good. I do agree that an AT in F2 would be great proving ground, however having been involved in auto racing I also know a team can make or brake you. Take a ride, only you can decide what is best for you.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:46 PM
Registered

As I posted on the AT thread, MOST Excellent. It would be great to meet you at the Thunder Run in October.

Your comments about the ride are right on. I also looked at several different makes but could not believe the AT. The efficiency of the hull in addition to its rough water capabilities, we were in 5' to 6' seas as well, were what made the deal for us.

If I could add (screaminDemon's question) Pat and Steve have been the absolute best to work with on this boat. We did not want the new side entry cabin, so they are making a center entry for us. Even beyond that, excellent customer service.

Congrats on the purchase and look forward to seeing you on the water on the way to Key West.

For those that do not believe, Remember

Last edited by h2owarrior; 04-09-2002 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:13 AM
satisfaction69

There is a 37' At running in Factory II the boat is a 37' AVH Active Thunder and the name and number are F2-44 Team Outlaw, Blue and white graphics. I've only seen the boat race on the SBI Circuit and it ran good considering the 4 canopied F2 boats in that same class.
Later Sat69

P.S. If I were'nt so Addicted to Cigarettes I'd probrably have an AT 37' AVH.

Old 04-10-2002, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default active thunder

I TOURED AT'S FACTORY ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO WHEN I WAS PICKING UP MY SLINGSHOT...THEY REALLY HAVE STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE I THINK ALL OF THEIR STUFF IS HIGH QUALITY, I DID CRAWL AROUND IN THUNDER DAN'S BOAT ( I THINK ) IT WAS NICE TO SEE HOW THEY WERE PUT TOGETHER IN RAW FORM. I REALLY WANT A 42' WHEN IT COMES OUT BECAUSE OF THEIR CABINS I AM 6'4" SO THAT PLAYS A BIG ROLE. THE ADDED BENEFIT IS THEY ARE FAST AND IF YOU GUYS DONT KNOW YOUR HISTORY THE HULL IS A DDC FROM HARRY SCHOELL WHICH WAS USED ON MULTI MILLION DOLLAR MEGA YACHTS(INFINITY) AND ITS PATENED WHICH IS NO BS. I THINK ITS GOOD THAT THEY TEAMED UP WITH HIM AND ANNOUNCED IT INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SELL THE HULL AS SNAKE OIL.......IT GIVES THEM CREDIBILITY!
Old 04-10-2002, 09:04 AM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I thought active thunder has been around for only six or seven years and before that was owned by a company in RI.? and was called just active?.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Skypirate, the one determining factor you did not address in your evaluation was resale value and market. I agree that both companies build a quality product. But it is my thought that when it comes time to sell or trade your boat you may have an easier time and get better resale from the cigarette, as there is probably a large market for these boats. I also agree that cigs ammenities are not good as other companies as I started out looking for a 28 foot cig and ended up with a formula 302 ls for those very reasons . With two young kids head room, a galley and enclosed head are as important as offshore handling I believe that trade offs have to be made. Not withstanding had I bought the cig I would probably get better resale than my formula. Just my thoughts on the matter, by the way congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy to the max. Rick G.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ike,

Active Thunder has been around since the 80's. They were built in N. Illinios. The current owner boat the company in 94 after buying a 32' for himself. He moved the business to its current location a couple years later. But he could give you the history better than I can.

They have always made a rock solid boat. In the last few years however, they have stepped up to build one of the finest finished boats as well. I don't think skypirate could have really made a bad choice with the 2 boats he was looking at. He just made the choice that fit what he was looking for better.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

SP,
Congrats. on you new boat purchase. I just sent you a private message, from one "Islander to another" I good to see another Hi-Perf. boater on OSO, who is from MI, FL. Check your mail.
MD
Old 04-11-2002, 12:13 PM
AC
Registered

Congratulations - but did you take a good look at the fit & finish on the AT - nowhere near the Cigarette! AT is not consistent - I had two - now I have a Cigarette!
Hope you get a good one!

Quick Reply: Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.