Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette >

Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Notices

Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Old 04-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Ozzie, Those are some big Torque Mongers, WHEW!!!! Strong, very strong I am going to have a hard time keeping up with you, My motors should be done in a few weeks, when I get the Dyno sheets I will let you know what they pulled. I also went with the same drives as you did , Advatage SC.

The Poker Runs I am going to try and attend this year will be the Lake Cumberland, The Delaware river run, The one in Destin Florida, They have another one in Louisianna, and the one in Key West, Thunder RUN. Im in my busiest season right now, it will be a miracle if I make all of these, but I've been know to come up with a few miracles here and there

I did call Thunder after I read your post, the guy you were talking about, I did speak with him, He actually laid my hull up, I thought he was very knowledgable, and was very straight forward with Sandy and I, we talked about the racing background, super nice guy, never did he say or even bring up PP, all he talked about was how he loved working at Active Thunder, Pat was a fair guy, and thought it was a class act shop, I never thought to ask him where he previously worked at, I was so excited to see our boat and learn the process in which it was being built, which was mostly what he talked about.

Which PR are you attending Jeff Jassby

Last edited by JASSMAN; 04-16-2002 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:00 AM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post ?????

WHO CARES?
WHO CARES??
WHO CARES???
LET IT REST FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 04-17-2002, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By Bosco -------------> Why, you ask do they still use lumber in there transom and stringers? Becouse about 10 years ago they built race boats with foam, and they simply would not hold up. Simply put, all the fasteners used on motor mounts and transom assemblies would wollow out and parts would become mis-aligned and break.

You see, the space between the cells on even the most dense foams is air that eventually breaks down. Good lumber holds better becouse of the chris cross of grain as well as the fibrous nature of a tree.<--------------------- This seems to be nearing the end of the spasm thank God!!

Ah Man!! where does one start with this type of Ignorance?? First off what kind of plywood are We Talking about Here ?? A Cheap Sheet of Fir? Or something like these; Okoume Marine, Meranti Marine Plywood ?? Well lets go the *cheap Fir Bosco route ,Curious whats the Fc of the fir?? Bet you Its around 320# ! thats it !!three hundred twenty pounds of compressive strength !!What a bolt sees when its tightened.. Now for that Expensive Plastic core That you dont like, The Range would be from 1250-3000 # and better Depending On the Selection made.

*A Non- Marine grade - Example Exterior A-C Fir you Know the One With lots and Lots of Internal Gaps and Voids !! Which Is also cool by the grading Standard ,For a House Hell I guess its ok, But as we Know it Is a real No No For a Boat! Now thats where all the Nasty Pre-Broken down Air Is Hiding at Ill Bet you, Man! No Lloyds Register of shipping Approval Stamp Here ever !! Oops Almost Forgot Deduct 20% from that 320 Number if the Wood is wet!!

In closing Bosco The cells (which are filled by the way with an inert Gas) If you Plan on Living the next 300 Years or so Maybe you can catch the Plastic breaking Down,,But If I were You I would stay with the cheap Fir a Couple months outside on the ground and bye.. By the way The high density Foams are used on deep diving Submersibles ,3 Miles down or better does not seem to harm them..But you Knew that Right?

Ahh the void thing ! Rub your hand over that Damp exotic Fir plywood and Listen for resonance,Betcha you will find a lot..

Veritas Kyrie
Im Done Here
Old 04-17-2002, 04:17 AM
Blueman

I think some of you would be suprised. There was a article posted about a survey that had link. If you go to the site it had a article about fiberglass, putty,composite and wood. It is good info.

Different strokes for different folks

Old 04-17-2002, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a link http://www.yachtsurvey.com/HullFailPart1.htm

Now my next job is to find the Name of the Poor Example!!

Veritas Kyrie
Old 04-17-2002, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Steve for ENLIGHTNING us, that was a good article if you have anything else to further my education on the the building process post some links for us to read, again I apprieciate it, thanks, Jeff Jassby
Old 04-17-2002, 02:46 PM
Blueman

Here is another http://www.yachtsurvey.com/HiTech.htm

Enjoy

Old 04-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great article. I have always enjoyed Pacoes writings as a no nonsense, tell it like you see it sort of guy.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Cuda worded it best. There are a lot of great boats out there, each with different personalities to suit the owner. I can't understand what all the fuss is about. You own an AT, and love your boat. Great. You own a Cigarette, and love your boat. Great. You own a 16 foot aluminum Lund, and love your boat. Wonderful. No need to take pokes at the manufacturers.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Let's take this discussion to the Active Thunder forum. Cuda and HP-J are correct. Anything that floats is good. Better than being stuck on land! There have been many different opinions here and what an interesting thread! Fun to watch evolve and grow. Thanks to everyone involved, even the antoginists (John, you're on my ****-list, Hyundai, huh?) but it's been fun and informative. One boater's experience in buying a new toy. The economy has come around, summer is close. Let's have some fun!

Quick Reply: Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.