Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question on storing a stepped bottom boat. >

Question on storing a stepped bottom boat.

Notices

Question on storing a stepped bottom boat.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on storing a stepped bottom boat.

I have a 35 Lightning twin-step that we just purchased and I am keeping it at a local dry storage marina. I would like any advice on the best way to support the hull and steps to prevent hull bottom problems. As of right now the dry storage racks are two bunks about 3.5 feet apart. I always make sure when they put the boat up that it is slid far enough forward to support the aft of the transom. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

You need to have them tack some 2x4s or whatever thickness/dimension is needed to support each section of the step bottom perfectly.

You can bevel the forward section of each step of the wood down at a 30-45 degree angle. This will alleviate the fork truck from catching the step on the stepped bunks when removing the boat from the rack.

Anything less WILL damage the aft of the steps and worse over time. I guarantee it.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You need to have them tack some 2x4s or whatever thickness/dimension is needed to support each section of the step bottom perfectly.

You can bevel the forward section of each step of the wood down at a 30-45 degree angle. This will alleviate the fork truck from catching the step on the stepped bunks when removing the boat from the rack.

Anything less WILL damage the aft of the steps and worse over time. I guarantee it.
100% agreed as i have had to repair this type of damage all to often. It can lead to some major de-lam and structural issues. If possible see if you can have a bunk dedicated to your boat and cut them to fit the contour of your steps.

one other thing to note if your bunks are not full length make sure they are lifting the boat straight up off the bunks. If it is allowed to dip down to far or rock on the nose as its coming up this action can place a lot of pressure at the forward tips of the bunks and the rise at the bow. If the bunks extend past the flat running surface you should be ok. Try to watch them pull it a few times to make sure. I had a friend (Madcow here on OSO) that had this recurring stress damage at the bow of his boat and we had assumed it was internal and stemmed from an existing repair that may not have been done properly. I did the same cosmetic repair every fall and one time i happen to be present when they were pulling the boat to put on the work rack . . . . . mystery solved. As they lifted the boat the full weight of the bow rested on the corners at the front of the bunks momentarily as the forks flexed and equalized to support the weight . We rounded off the bunks and it was fine after that.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-23-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered

They both beat me to it. Call me if I can help John.

Frankie
Old 09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sellsman11
They both beat me to it. Call me if I can help John.

Frankie
Hey Frankie!!! Hope things are going well for you. You better call me if you get back to destin. This boat has been stored on this type bunk system for 2 years in the showroom. Do you think there is major hull damage?? Thanks!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
100% agreed as i have had to repair this type of damage all to often. It can lead to some major de-lam and structural issues. If possible see if you can have a bunk dedicated to your boat and cut them to fit the contour of your steps.

one other thing to note if your bunks are not full length make sure they are lifting the boat straight up off the bunks. If it is allowed to dip down to far or rock on the nose as its coming up this action can place a lot of pressure at the forward tips of the bunks and the rise at the bow. If the bunks extend past the flat running surface you should be ok. Try to watch them pull it a few times to make sure. I had a friend (Madcow here on OSO) that had this recurring stress damage at the bow of his boat and we had assumed it was internal and stemmed from an existing repair that may not have been done properly. I did the same cosmetic repair every fall and one time i happen to be present when they were pulling the boat to put on the work rack . . . . . mystery solved. As they lifted the boat the full weight of the bow rested on the corners at the front of the bunks momentarily as the forks flexed and equalized to support the weight . We rounded off the bunks and it was fine after that.

Wound anyone have any pics or drawings I could go off of? Thanks!!