Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone have a Mitsubishi Eclipse? >

Anyone have a Mitsubishi Eclipse?

Notices

Anyone have a Mitsubishi Eclipse?

Old 04-06-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a Mitsubishi Eclipse?

I have a chance to get a '95 Eagle Talon 2.0 turbo AWD(Mitsu Eclipse) for $5200. It's an automatic (YUK!) but at this price with only 21,500 miles, I'm thinking about it for a daily driver. It was owned by a little old lady(No, not from Pasadena!) who had it since new, so I am assuming it's all carboned up, probably never seen 70 mph. I am just a bit apprehensive since it probably doesn't get that good gas mileage with the turbo, AWD, and automatic. How about reliability, I realize it's a Mitsu, so the engine is solid, but the rest of the car??

Any comments are appreciated,

Scared cause it's not a Dodge!!!!!!
boathead
Old 04-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A buddy of mine wife had one, they had a hard time getting it worked on here in Kansas City, because there isn't many dealer's for them. (There's went out of business)
He is a Chevy Mechanic but needed to take it to a dealer for some stuff.
Old 04-06-2002, 11:25 AM
JIM H
Charter Member

Thumbs up

i was a service manger at a jeep/eagle dealer they are very good cars didnt have many problems with them,as far as working on them it shouldnt be a problem i own a repair shop and i service a few of them no problem's getting parts.
i would get it they are a lot of fun to drive and cheap to buy
good luck
jimh
Old 04-06-2002, 02:33 PM
dallas01

Default A great car!!

I purchased one fore my daughter and after close to three years I only change the oil and put in gas. No problems whatsoever. I keep an eye on it and and no leaks, drips, rattles, etc.

Good luck!!

Old 04-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ot one for my ex-girlfriend. BAD idea. Turbo went out, and the Tranny hadto be rebuilt. All at under 100K miles. I was managing a shop at the time and my Tranny guy told me that they go bad alot. I still see her driving that POS around with a big smoke cloud behind her. Turbo's are pricey. I would think twice. This one was ingreat shape when we got it.
Old 04-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Had a Laser for years (same thing) non turbo, Watch for timing belts, they had a recall due to breaking belts. When it breaks it takes the valves out too. If you buy it, make sure its been changed or get it changed. My std tranny lost a bearing and 4th gear around 100,00. Otherwise, loved it. If you decide not to buy it, let me know, I would be very interested.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Registered

www.clubdsm.com Lots of info. The main thing to watch for is crank-walk. A certain number of the turbo engines had a problem with the crank wearing sideways through the bearings. I think a Mitsubishi shop could check this for you. My wife really likes her 95 Eclipse Turbo.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:34 AM
Registered

Default Thanks for the input, everyone!

I'm still undecided,but the car drives sweet and is very tight, I guess it should be with that kinda mileage. I think my biggest concern is gas mileage, and I hate automatics, but for the price.....

My wife put gas in it yesterday not realizing it is supposed to use PREMIUM and it really sucked the tank dry. Gotta figure out the mileage, I don't want to drive 60 miles each way to work and have to fill the damn thing up every day. I can drive my Ram Turbodiesel in that case.

I really want a friggin' volkwagen diesel like that 42-45 mpg !

Thanks for your comments.
boathead
Old 04-07-2002, 09:41 AM
Registered

My non turbo standard was pretty good on the highway, around 30 I think. It was considerably worse in the city. Amazingly my 3.1 Grand Prix gets better mileage.