Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake George Fall Poker Run Cancelled due to LGPC Request... >

Lake George Fall Poker Run Cancelled due to LGPC Request...

Notices

Lake George Fall Poker Run Cancelled due to LGPC Request...

Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM
It's a Wicked Rush!!!
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by penbroke
Maybe a change of venue is in order.

Frank
You know you want to... ;-)
I can't agree with you more Frank.......I think we know of a little pond nearby that could probably handle an event such as this!!!

Jim
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should send a copy of the letter to all the small businesses in the area.. That sucks.. Those people count on the revenue from the poker runs, car shows, bike runs.. One to two day events are huge for a small town..

I aggree with Scott B.. Should parade through town on the way to somewhere else. Tell the local police no more donations to the "jelly of the month club" They all got their hands out for some donations for there events..

Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://poststar.com/articles/2009/09...0670272218.txt
Old 09-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldnt bother and I would stay far away from L George. No one has any business bringing a 130 mph boat to a 40 mph lake especially with the politics that appear to be in that town.

They should do away with all events. Motorcycles are noisy with lots of pollution.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pro1
I wouldnt bother and I would stay far away from L George. No one has any business bringing a 130 mph boat to a 40 mph lake especially with the politics that appear to be in that town.

They should do away with all events. Motorcycles are noisy with lots of pollution.
Is your name Ralph Nader ?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

No man I would not financially support that whole area. The town is anti everything.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My letter to the group that GLH sent to:

Bruce E. Young
Chairman
Lake George Park Commission
75 Fort George Road, PO Box 749
Lake George, New York 12845

Dear Mr. Young,

I know I am not the first and am confident that I will not be the last to write to you expressing the disappointment over the cancellation of this event. My brother already wrote to you about how my family had 3 boats and 12 people lined up to attend this event including my sister’s fiancé who is flying in from Jackson, MS for what was supposed to be his first ride on a high performance powerboat. I guess he will have to wait until next year.

My issue is not so much that you are not allowing this event to happen; it is that you sought to revoke the approved permit 2 weeks before the event was scheduled to occur. If you had shot down the poker run organizers back in June, I’m sure there would have been some minor flack and some “that sucks” comments, but at least people would not have booked their schedules and planned a long weekend on beautiful Lake George. Also, as of today I hear that some people are having a hard time getting their deposits back from some of the hotels up there. That is the last thing anyone wants to deal with at this point.

I am no stranger to Lake George. My family has had a house 5 miles outside of town since the 1970’s and I spend 40-50 nights a year up there mostly in the winter because my boat is not welcome on Lake George, which is fine with me…I boat in Long Island Sound and do not have to worry about noise limits, speed limits, trailering time/expenses, launch passes, season permits, etc. My point is I have seen what is happening up there over the last 10 years as far as the economy goes. I went to a college in Albany which is less than an hour away and my friends and I would head up there from time to time to check out the scene in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. Hotels were sold out and there were $20 covers at some bars with lines around the corner. If a bar in Lake George tried to charge that today, forget it…they would be closed in a month and I do not see many “No Vacancy” signs up either. I do not think that the economy is doing so well that you can turn away the amount of money that this poker run would have brought into the local economy in the form of hotel rooms, fuel, meals, nightlife, souvenirs and apparel.

I know that safety was one of the main reasons for the cancellation. First of all, the speed limit was never raised from 45 MPH, so we were going to abide by that. Secondly, we all know what we are doing behind the wheel of a performance boat. I have no doubt in my mind that we would have been safer as a group than the people who go to Lake George and rent boat. I still can not believe that NYS does not make people get a boating license like they do here in Connecticut. The things I have seen rental boats do in that lake over the years boggles my mind. The LGPC should be more concerned with those people.

Again, this is very disappointing. It is just another incident that is going to push people away from Lake George and leave a bad taste in their mouth.

Submitted respectfully,

Peter Aitkin Jr.

Pete Aitkin
Director, Client Development

21 River Road Suite 2000
Wilton, CT 06897
Old 09-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
No man I would not financially support that whole area. The town is anti everything.
I'm beginning to think you are right.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mmareno
I think you should send a copy of the letter to all the small businesses in the area...
I cc'd one of the local establishments that was going to host the party fri/sat night and this was the response I got:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Aitkin:

On behalf of King Neptune’s Pub in Lake George, I want to thank you for copying us on your email to Mr. Young of the Lake George Park Commission. We appreciate you taking the time to so eloquently put into words what I’m sure many people are feeling. It is definitely a loss for businesses in Lake George but more so the participants and the community that would have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the boats.

We were hoping this would be a successful annual event and while we hope this will take place in Lake George in the future, we understand and share your doubt. Should the powers that be see fit to reverse themselves in the years to come, we hope you and your family will try again to visit beautiful Lake George.

Sincerely,

Kevin D. Griswold

Director of Marketing & Sales

King Neptune's Pub · Shoreline Cruises · Shoreline Restaurant
2 Kurosaka Lane
Lake George, NY 12845
(518) 668-4644 or (888) LG-BOATS
Fax: (518) 668-3882

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess there are some people that want us there!

Last edited by Big Time; 09-29-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Everyone should read this article, for once the paper gave us a fair shake. Please leave comments as it will get noticed as the article most commented on. You have to register but it's painless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.