Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Handling comparison, 28 Skater vs. 30' single V (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/217725-handling-comparison-28-skater-vs-30-single-v.html)

Pure Energy 09-29-2009 09:42 AM

Handling comparison, 28 Skater vs. 30' single V

First off, I love my Superboat Y2K. However I'm on the line of reliability vs. speed. Best top speed was 90, everday top speed 85 +/-. It handles rough water surprizingly well and is alot of fun to drive.

I've got a bug in my a$$ about cats. I would like to break 100 mph and thinking a 28 skater with OBs would be my best bet.

I know nothing about cats and courious how they handle. I'm sure this has been discussed, but would like info on this size range.

Thanks

offshoresteve 09-29-2009 09:58 AM

I have owned a few v's... 22 scarab, 33 fountain, 28 Pantera race boat. None of them even compare to the 28 Skater in rough water. The Skater is a smoother more consistant ride through the rough. I have raced so many V's with "Big power " and beat them badly!! The only problem is now, not many will run with me :) They see me coming and turn the other way or come off plane.
I bought my Skater with 2.5's stock went 110. Modified by Diamond Marine to 122. Now I have the new 300xs and run 110, but burn 30gals per hr cruising @90mph.
In my opinion the only boat better than a 28 is a Larger Skater:drink:

OL40SVX 09-29-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pure Energy (Post 2962678)
First off, I love my Superboat Y2K. However I'm on the line of reliability vs. speed. Best top speed was 90, everday top speed 85 +/-. It handles rough water surprizingly well and is alot of fun to drive.

I've got a bug in my a$$ about cats. I would like to break 100 mph and thinking a 28 skater with OBs would be my best bet.

I know nothing about cats and courious how they handle. I'm sure this has been discussed, but would like info on this size range.

Thanks

Have you been in a cat? If not well take u for a spin in the Motion on the Hudson run. Once you run a cat you'll be hard pressed to run a vee bottom again. Its all about going fast!!:D:D

Pure Energy 09-29-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by offshoresteve (Post 2962690)
I have owned a few v's... 22 scarab, 33 fountain, 28 Pantera race boat. None of them even compare to the 28 Skater in rough water. The Skater is a smoother more consistant ride through the rough. I have raced so many V's with "Big power " and beat them badly!! The only problem is now, not many will run with me :) They see me coming and turn the other way or come off plane.
I bought my Skater with 2.5's stock went 110. Modified by Diamond Marine to 122. Now I have the new 300xs and run 110, but burn 30gals per hr cruising @90mph.
In my opinion the only boat better than a 28 is a Larger Skater:drink:

That just about sums it right there!! Thanks

Pure Energy 09-29-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 2962730)
Have you been in a cat? If not well take u for a spin in the Motion on the Hudson run. Once you run a cat you'll be hard pressed to run a vee bottom again. Its all about going fast!!:D:D

I will definately take you up on that!!!

dreamboater 09-29-2009 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pure Energy (Post 2962678)

Thanks

It depends on what you normally like to do. If your into putting a lot of people in the boat and cruising around at 60 mph you may not enjoy the 28 all the time. The 28 is an amazing boat but they are built to run fast. I have to cruise below 50 or above 70 because of the hop. If you are into all out performance, pound for pound a 28 Skater will be really hard to beat.

Pure Energy 09-29-2009 11:34 AM

It is usually me and my buddies in the boat. Faster is better! Somtimes I take my 5 yr old daughter, but only for short rides. However, she always says "Faster Daddy, Faster!!!" My wife has a bad shoulder and can't handle bumps, so she doesn't go on the boat.

ActiveFun 09-29-2009 11:51 AM

How is it getting insurance these days? What is the cost compared to a 30ft Superboat?

Brad Zastrow 09-29-2009 03:19 PM

Cats and Vees have their good and bad points. The 28 Skater rides really nice and almost never hits hard after a big wave. They float. Even your wife may ride again with you. Insurance and storage space (no cuddy) are problems for sure. Go for a ride and decide. The Motion will be very similar in ride. Take the offer for a ride.

Gladhe8er 09-29-2009 03:35 PM

I took a 28 Skater for a test drive before I bought my 28 AT. It did well in the chop and ran 96 MPH with 250XS's. The problem is that the GF at the time(now the wife) wanted a bathroom and cabin. Oh well, I love my AT. I think I remember the owner of the test drive boat telling me the thing was great in 2-3 footers, but if anybody told you they were great in 4 footers they were lying.