Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead >

Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead

Notices

Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead

Old 10-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Boating must remain fun and not Deadly!!

Very sad and condolences to the families and all involved and our prayers for a good and speedy recovery for those injured!

Being a diesel and in this kind of confusing waterway at night means this could have been any deep v-hull cruiser or otherwise doing 50-60 mph- if it hits a mud bottom at those speeds and there most likely would have been serious injuries and perhaps deaths in any boat of size at those speeds in that area.
Lets not blame performance boating here on this type of tragic accident.
It just points out though that driver error was most likely the cause and that should speak volumes to all of us that when boating especially as the driver with passengers that the responsibility to navigate safely any any speed is the responsibility of the boat owner/skipper and should never be done carelessly or irresponsibly!
Never, Never, Never risk you or your passengers by boating carelessly or irresponsibly!! The results can be Tragic!!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Isn't marsh mud and weeds? not like hitting a solid object. I would think that would be a gradual stop?
No such thing as a gradual stop,used to live and boat in Long Island.My father was driving a cabin cruiser and we went onto the marsh and it was like throwing an anchor out. We went flying from the cockpit into the cabin instantly.The occupants of the hustler were ejected and probably landed on there heads or impacted the gunnels on the way out.Never saw it coming no way to prepare for that.

Sad nonetheless
Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Registered

Isn't marsh mud and weeds? not like hitting a solid object. I would think that would be a gradual stop?
On a real high tide(at least years ago), you could run right up to the marsh and not hit mud under the right conditions. I have seen some high tides were large parts of that marsh were covered in water, so I would think thats would might have happened here, If there is no buoy still in front of that marsh and you were to draw a straight line between the two that existed years ago, I think the line would cross right in front of the tip of the marsh. Again, its been a few years, but thats how I remember it being around there
Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Remember that it was full moon the other night. Tides are really low during full moon and on either side of.

As for the sensationalism in the media; it pisses me off. That's like having an accident in a Chevy Cobalt, and the media putting in the article that the Chevy Corvette ZR1 is capable of 200mph--stupid and senseless.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-06-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bert4332
My theory is the same, he had a seizure, slumped on the throttle and rammed the marsh. It's just a theory, I'm gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt until the Popo's findings, especially given the quote from Hustler. The are a few survivors but who knows if they were paying attention to say what happened. Just plain suxs :-(

Yep, none of us were there, so it's hard to really tell. It's all speculation and I certainly don't want to case dispersion on the deceased or his passengers.

Reading more recently, it seems he was an experienced and safe boater with local knowledge. So the latter theory is certainly more possible.

I've investigated upteen hundred auto crashes and a few boat crashes.

I'm certainly for leaving the findings up to the locals that have the evidence.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by elvisali
On a real high tide(at least years ago), you could run right up to the marsh and not hit mud under the right conditions. I have seen some high tides were large parts of that marsh were covered in water, so I would think thats would might have happened here, If there is no buoy still in front of that marsh and you were to draw a straight line between the two that existed years ago, I think the line would cross right in front of the tip of the marsh. Again, its been a few years, but thats how I remember it being around there
I boat there all the time. You are 100% correct about the possibility of navigating on a straight line betwen 2 bouys, causing you to run aground in a hurry. This scenario is possible in too many spots to even begin to list on the South Shore. Instead of boarding me every few months, the DEC, Coast Guard, Nassau or Suffolk P.D., etc... really needs to get their act together and move or add some bouys in those narrow channels.
At this point, its all speculation. The tragedies are the facts. Lets hope the rest of us can learn something here.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Registered

Kinda-sorta.

Marsh can also include trees and other obstructions.

I run a rescue airboat and we run marsh and dry ground regularly both in training and on missions.

When running marsh, you have to watch "the green stuff" or you stand a good chance of either coming to an abrubt stop, or flipping your boat And this in a boat designed for that type of terrain.

Considering the design of the boat and any speed involved, combined with the previous post on hitting mud with a V bottomed boat, it's not at all uncommon to see people ejected or thrown to the deck, into bulkheads, etc, rather violently, even at low speed
Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I boat there all the time. You are 100% correct about the possibility of navigating on a straight line betwen 2 bouys, causing you to run aground in a hurry. This scenario is possible in too many spots to even begin to list on the South Shore. Instead of boarding me every few months, the DEC, Coast Guard, Nassau or Suffolk P.D., etc... really needs to get their act together and move or add some bouys in those narrow channels.
At this point, its all speculation. The tragedies are the facts. Lets hope the rest of us can learn something here.
Yea, I was talking to a buddy just now and he said the buoy set up is still the same there. The green buoys on the left are lets say every 150 -200 yards, the red bouys on the right coming out the bridge are like that, then there is a big gap in them , right in front of that marsh.

Such a shame, I can only offer my condlences again to the families. A guy I work with knows one of the people who passed away (old neighbor of his), said he was just all around good guy
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the water ways in that area can be tricky, i've been boating there for 20 years and look what i did...i missed the channel by 6 feet, lucky nobody got hurt.

Oz
Attached Thumbnails Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead-whoops-.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered

This just sucks...a terrible shame when anyone dies in a crash no matter how it happens. My condolences to anyone involved. Trying to avoid things like this is when I depend on re-tracing my GPS line in the dark..at lower speeds in my case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.