this really pisses me off - new BS law

Notices

this really pisses me off - new BS law

Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 PM
GDM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this really pisses me off - new BS law

this is complete bullshhitt . whats next , is someone from the government goanna hold my had evereytime I cross the street

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beginning November 1, 2009, Section 40, Subdivision 1 of the New York State Navigation Law shall be amended by adding new paragraph (e), which reads as follows:

No owner or operator of a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks shall permit its operation, between November first and May first, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened United States Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device of an appropriate size when such vessel is underway.

Failure to wear a lifejacket on such vessels will be considered a violation under Section 73-c if the Navigation Law and is punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $250, applicable to either the operator and/or the owner of the vessel.

Information provided by:

www.safeboatingamerica.com
Boating and Personal Watercraft Education and Certification
Merchant Mariner Training
Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the law. Small boats are easy to capsize. Think of it like wearing your seat belt in your vehicle.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too. Very easy to upset a little boat like that.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

So, your 20 mako CC is easy to upset as well?

GDM is right, when is it going to stop, just another assualt on freedoms.

I'm sorry, too many people like you two guys think it's OK if it saves a life, doesn't put a child in danger or offend someone - this law offends my intelligence so who is lobbing for my rights not to be offended?

When will we have a federal law mandating helmets for motorcycles - please ask your congressman to start pushing that.

I'm sorry bad things happen to good people sometimes and just because it does, doesn't give these elected people the authority to control our lives and make our dicessions for us - or does it?

Let me ask all of you question, why did you put the elected officals we have in office - I bet not one of you wanted them there so they could pass laws to protect us from ourselves - you wanted them there to make your life better, work with eductating our children, fix our roads, get bad people off our streets, etc.

I know that all sounds idealistic but for the most part they are not there to hold our hand & pick us up everytime we do something stupid - we're letting them go to far and not enough people want to step-up and stop them.

Sorry, but when you live in this NJ/NY area you see too much of this ridiculousness everyday!

I wish I had the reosurces to step up and do something - but I don't?

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 10-07-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Just an extension of the seatbelt laws. It's not great but the idiots are out there in their small dingy's, no experiance and falling into the water. Makes it easier to find the bodies. Who cares from Nov. to May? Just buy a boat 20'6"
Old 10-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Registered

I wear my seat belt, have my helmet on when on a motorcycle and also wear a PFD when underway. Why? Because I want to. I think the laws making us do these things are not right. It should be up to me. I hate the Idea that a law makes me do any of these things. It should be my choice. I am with Habanajoe 100% on this. We don't need any laws tell us to do these things.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Registered

guys you need to re-read the law...i thought it was going to be a problem but this law is geard twards duck hunters and late season fishermen. its form NOVEMBER 1st to May 1st....any of you guys plan to boat when the lakes are frozen and its snowing? also the fine is only $25 to max $100

Navigation Law Updates
Life Jacket Wear Requirements
Beginning November 1, 2009, Section 40, Subdivision 1 of the Navigation Law shall be amended by adding new paragraph (e), which reads as follows:

No owner or operator of a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks shall permit its operation, between November first and May first, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened United States Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device of an appropriate size when such vessel is underway.

Failure to wear a lifejacket on such vessels will be considered a violation under Section 73-c if the Navigation Law and is punishable by a fine of not less than $25 nor more than $100, applicable to either the operator and/or the owner of the vessel.

Last edited by Slinky; 10-07-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Slinky
guys you need to re-read the law...i thought it was going to be a problem but this law is geard twards duck hunters and late season fishermen. its form NOVEMBER 1st to May 1st....any of you guys plan to boat when the lakes are frozen and its snowing?
That is how it is reading now, wait until they think it was such a great idea that they make it a all year law with an amendment buried on the 70th page of some other law.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Slinky,

To play devil's on this, no one down here on the bay or sound fishes for stripers after Nov or flounder in the spring?

The fact that you say it "only $25 - $100" says to me you are saying "just break the law and pay the fines and shut up you can afford it"

It's not the money and whether or not it's directed at duck boats it includes a 20' Cigarette or 18' Donzi.

I'm sorry but it's your attitude that keeps these things coming at us, it's just one more law, just one more fine, one more everything.

I don't want to sound like a crazy but it is out of hand and getting worse.

When Obama runs on the promise of no more troops, no more war and now says oops more troops have to go - why can't we the people sue him for breech? He either lied or did not have the mental capcity to understand the situation either way why can't we fine him if even just $25!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We'll wait until that actually happens before getting upset.

For now, this makes a lot of sense; the majority of boating fatalities are from falling overboard from small boats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.