Notices

Mercury EFI Fogging Video

Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury EFI Fogging Video

Does anyone know where to find the Mercrury video showing the procedure for fogging EFI egines. I remember a 5 gallon gas can mixed with 2 stroke oil which is then connected to the fuel line just before the water separator. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the video,but it would be easier to pour some of the gas out of the fuel seperator and add 2 stroke oil and run the engine till it starts smoking...
Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered

Default Fogging

Originally Posted by snopro13
I don't know about the video,but it would be easier to pour some of the gas out of the fuel seperator and add 2 stroke oil and run the engine till it starts smoking...
Last winter Mercury released a video of using a 5 gallon gas can mixed with 2 stroke oil. Unhooking the fuel line and connecting the one from the can looks easier to me than even removing a filter. I was only interested in the mixing ratio and type of oil best for mercury racing engines-nothing else.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Found these on another site, use at your own risk:

"Personally, I do it exactly as the mercruiser manual states. I have set up two remote tanks (to be used year after year after year...) Mix 5 gallons of regular fuel, 2 quarts of Premium 2 cycle outboard oil, and 5 ounces of fuel stabilizer. I use two 3 gallon tanks, so make the appropriate adjustments.

After allowing the engine(s) to cool, disconnect the fuel fitting and attach the remote tanks. I found a brass plug to cap the fuel lines coming from the tank, but I can't remember the size at the moment.

Allow the engines to run for 5 minutes at 1300 RPM and you're done. What gas remains ends up being used in my tractor (fogging it), weed eater and snow blower.

Disclaimer: I have the cool fuel generation III, which does not have a spin on filter. On other engines, I have used the add oil to the spin-on filter trick with no problems, although I sometimes wonder if that method allows enough oil into the cylinders to adequately protect them. (after all, the mercury method has you run the engine for 5 minutes.) On the other hand, if you add too much oil to the filter, you risk trashing your spark plugs."

"1) Shut off the fuel line
2) Take off the fuel filter and dump a little gas out
3) Add 2 oz. of two cycle outboard oil
4) Reinstall fuel filter and run engine at idle speed until it quits
5) Take off old filter and replace with a new filter.
"
Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKSAE
Last winter Mercury released a video of using a 5 gallon gas can mixed with 2 stroke oil. Unhooking the fuel line and connecting the one from the can looks easier to me than even removing a filter. I was only interested in the mixing ratio and type of oil best for mercury racing engines-nothing else.
The mixing ratio is pretty much similar to any 2cycle engine. Just depends how much oil you want being imputed into the system...I use this technique as well but I make a mix of Stabil,Merc Fuel System Cleaner and 2 cycle oil with a gallon of gas and I let it run on this while I'm sucking in the anti freeze for winterization. This way its continuously cleaning as well as fogging...I've never had a issue with plugs being fouled and my fuel system is cleaned and fogged for next season.

After seeing a thread about the ethanol and corrosion in the fuel system I'm thinking that this is a good thing I've been doing this for years.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered

I put a few ounces of two stroke oil in the fuel sep and let it run while sucking up the antifreeze merc dealer told me to do it that way
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This maybe a dumb question but why can't you fog an EFI like a carborated engine???
Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SKRAMER
This maybe a dumb question but why can't you fog an EFI like a carborated engine???
Throttle position sensor will get screwed up from what I've been told...
Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Registered

what about adding sea foam with the 2 stroke oil in the fuel/water separator?