Notices

Destin...Florida

Old 04-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Destin...Florida

took off for florida last week for spring break with the family...it was a last minute deal so we took off with no reservations. anyway we ended up in Destin...real nice place! i just got back yesterday after a week and have all intentions of going back this fall (with the boat) anyway... i looked around for ramp access but couldn't find anything. anyone familiar with this area that could give me some ideas on where i could launch.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Steve,
You're right, there isn't A LOT of BIG public boat ramps in Destin, but there are a couple that should be able to handle your Boat. BTW, how big is your boat?
There is a public ramp on Hwy 98, right aross the street from the Boat Outlet boat dealer in Ft. Walton Beach, about 10 miles from Destin Harbor. There is another one on Hwy 85, (Eglin Parkway) right next to the Key Bank, in Ft. Walton Beach, which is a smaller ramp. The other nice ramps are on the AF Bases, which aren't open to the general public, which I used when I was there. The problem is there is no parking at these ramps, get there early if you want a parking spot. Maybe someone from FWB or Destin can give more info.
Hopes this helps,
MD
Old 04-08-2002, 01:33 PM
Registered

Talking

Steve
I am a transplant local @ Destin( I tow down about 2 weekend a month) and I use Bluewater Marina. It s right about 20min from Crab Is. by water and the afternoon parade of boats infront of AJ's is unbelivable, but the staff at Bluewater are extremly helpful and more than willing to accomodate they have lift capacity for large boats ad also good sized ramps of you choose to use. e-mail me for more info I can give detailed directions if needed. Also You can reserve slips reasonable w/great bar on sight get lit, fall into boat, great sleeping!!!
jrocket

Last edited by jrocket; 04-08-2002 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Registered

thanks guys,
i can't believe with that big ass harbor that there aren't any public access ramps in destin but everbody i asked give me that deer in the headlights look i never thought about fort walton area but it would be just as good.

dean...i have a 24' formula so just about any ramp i could make work...seems like i remember seeing the boat outlet when we drove to pensacola for the day

jrocket...i have no idea where crab island is and doesn't show on any maps i have? slips...ramp...bar sounds like where i need to be though. is it inside the harbor somewhere?

thanks
steve
Old 04-08-2002, 06:05 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!

Euby,

Send me your e-mail address, and I will pass on a ton of information that I received from a member of the BoaterEd site last year. cpqtim and I took his 25' Baja down there last year (August). We put in at a place called Joe's Bayou, which is off of Hwy 98 in Destin just before the Mid Bay Bridge (the big bridge between Destin & Ft Walton). Crab Island is actually a big sand bar that is visible as you cross over the bridge on the right if you are heading toward Ft Walton. Unfortunately for us, a small hurricane hit the first day we were down there, and the Gulf never did settle down enough to make it very enjoyable. You have to really watch the sky down there in late summer and early fall - huge thunderstorms blow up out of nowhere, and the pass going into the Gulf can get pretty hazardous with an outgoing tide and strong inbound winds. There are some shallow areas in the bay that you will want to watch for as well.

Send me your e-mail and I will send you some more info.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Registered

Euby

If you want to have a good time in destin,go down for the emerald coast poker run in august. Great bunch of people and lots of boats.If you want information on the run go to www.emeraldcoastpokerrun.com
Old 04-09-2002, 06:56 AM
Registered

There is a real nice boat ramp in Destin right of the main street. Go down past Holiday Island rd, there's a Texeco on the corner. Head like your going to FT Walton. Down past Texeco about 2 blocks you'll see a BP on the right and a Circle G store. Destin Fish market is next to the BP. Turn Rigt at the light before BP. Go down that street. Go through the stop sighn look on your right. I put my 40' in there. http://www.destinpointe.com/links.html http://www.midamericanboating.com/im...isks/img13.jpg Good luck see you down ther for the Poker run in June, Steve
Old 04-09-2002, 09:43 AM
Registered

thanks for the info guys....i checked out the pics from last years poker run and looks like a good time...love the looks of all the food. so theres a run in june and another in august? i'm going to print this page so i don't forget any info. i knew there had to be a ramp somewhere there in destin...its just a matter of talking to the right people

email: [email protected]

steve....uhhh nice ship

budman... shot you an email and i think i remember joes if it is at the base of the bridge on the destin side. seems like it was either that or a big kahunas

Last edited by euby; 04-09-2002 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:07 AM
29Fever

My parents have a condo down there. I put in at Joe's Bayou. Half the time we were not even charged to launch. It's only about 2-3 miles by boat to the harbor and Crab Island. There are quite a few shallow spots in the bay. Just follow the channels and you'll be fine. Great boating!!

Old 04-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Registered

No sweet, until June. Steve

Quick Reply: Destin...Florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.