Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When is a boat to big to use by yourself? >

When is a boat to big to use by yourself?

Notices

When is a boat to big to use by yourself?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

36 Concept here and leave it on the lift,it is so easy that way, but when I do take it out of the water and put it on a trailer, I do it all my self,but would not like to do it every day of boating. It's worth the extra money for a lift if you can put it on one to me.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the MTI by myself all the time. Did the same with the Tigers.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends soley on weather and location.

In great weather 35-38 feet. in a marina- With wind and waves and other such BS under 25-30 max.

A 30 foot boat can get out of shape quick with the wind blowing.

On a river- waaay different deal sometimes its hard to get a 21 ft boat on the trailer with the current by your self.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-19-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first boat was a 33 Viper and used it the CT. River ocassionally and the outgoing current was a *****. You had to drive up to the trailer(no dock) almost completly sideways to get the bow in center, than quickly do a full steer in the oposite direction and gas it.... It took a couple of tries and after a while I just went to a ramp with a dock. Live and learn. Now I am almost done with my 38 Scarab purchase and will be doing it all over again since I've had a snoozer cruiser for 4 seasons in a slip. Cant wait !!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, I am leaning towards a 36-40ft Skater, which there is not a chance it will go in a rack (too long, too wide) the ramp I would use is fairly steep, but triple wide with no divider and very quiet, (in the back of a marina so very calm)

I am assuming the type of boat makes a difference? how do the bigger cat's handle at docking speed's with 6's I assume with the engines being at extreme edges of the boat, they are fairly maneuverable?

I suppose worst case I can get the marina to use the travelift to take it on and off, but don't want to be at there beck and call all the time along with the assoc fees ($200 in, $200 out)

cheers
Old 10-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Like boating37 said, a lift is the way to go if at all possible. Our 29' is in a covered 32' slip on a lift. I have one of those remote control lifts which makes it even more convenient when solo. Plus at the end of the day we can take our time washing the boat while having drinks and listening to tunes. We have roofs over our slips in this part of the country which makes it real nice being shaded when hot or getting caught in the rain.

Speaking of solo, I'm playing hooky tomorrow and going boating. Finally some decent weather around here! Not many more good days left...
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Registered

A lift is not an option where I am as we are not waterfront, otherwise I would go that way for sure.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We like a "cat" trailer because it's easy to design-in a walk way between the bunks. The walk way can also add structural rigidity. Most drive their boats on, we're anal and walk it on.

Big power can provide a lot more speed than your "v" did. At some point you may appreciate a throttle person, that person can also walk the boat on.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Waterboy123
Thanks guys, I am leaning towards a 36-40ft Skater, which there is not a chance it will go in a rack (too long, too wide) the ramp I would use is fairly steep, but triple wide with no divider and very quiet, (in the back of a marina so very calm)

I am assuming the type of boat makes a difference? how do the bigger cat's handle at docking speed's with 6's I assume with the engines being at extreme edges of the boat, they are fairly maneuverable?

I suppose worst case I can get the marina to use the travelift to take it on and off, but don't want to be at there beck and call all the time along with the assoc fees ($200 in, $200 out)

cheers
Insurance prices may set your size!!! Then it depends on your the size of your balls! If you have never owned a cat before insurance is going to be a mofo.. Good Luck
Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I take my 30SS on the river by myself alot....usually put it in and pull up to the dock while im waiting for everyone to get there....When leaving the intoxicated girls are no help so I once again tie up, get my truck, back it in, and then pull her on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.