Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should have known better......... >

Should have known better.........

Notices

Should have known better.........

Old 04-10-2002, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should have known better.........

Well........I really did it this time.......I recently bought a 14 ft. fishing boat from a local marine parts store that was going out of business.......It was a small time operation and he had a left over 14 ft. fishing boat.....I was able to get it at a good price and he gave me a reciept and told me that he would file for the mso.....well that was three weeks ago......and now I cant register the boat without it.......and he is not returning my calls.........is there a way around this guy to get the mso myself???? I dont know what to do at this point......
Old 04-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to check the title laws in your state but it is possible to get a new title usually.

First I would start with the Mfgr and see if they will issue you a new one. If not then try at the local court house and see what they say regarding a new title. Your state probably doesn't title boats that are that small anyway, I think I would just ask how you register the boat with a bill of sale, if it isn't a title state you may not have a problem.

My concern would be, does his bank have the MSO and did he pay it off or keep the $$ and now the bank is going to come looking? You should be able to do a UCC filing search, most states have this online and see if there is a bank that had a filing for inventory, which this would be. They would likely have the MSO.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:50 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Well Spit........You live in Florida man.......go to the tag and title office and do a title search.....bring your recepit and tell them you don't have the title.........let them tell you what to do......trust me it works.....

Especially if it is new........and at least you'll find out if it has been double sold......which my friend is not what i hope you find out....

Then again he might just be trying to get away with the tax.....either way you need to jump on this......
Old 04-11-2002, 05:05 PM
Registered

Well I did like you suggested...I went to the title agency and they did an abstract search.....it hasnt been titled previously in the state of Fla............. however without the mso, I cant register and title the boat.....I then tried to call Rogue Boats......an appropriate name in this case......and it seems that they have gone out of business.......so no help there.....the tag agency rep thought that I might have to go to small claims court and file......what I dont exactly know.....I am going to call the Fl. dept of motor vehicles and see what they say..... thanx for the input though......
Old 04-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Sorry bro.........good luck though........ask questions at the nieghbors of where you bought it......they might know where the guys went or how to contact him........
Old 04-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Registered

Yeah.......I did that already......it appears this guy is downright popular right now.....I guess I am not the only one looking for him......I have his cell # but he wont return the calls....I have been to his old shop and talked with the other business owners and they have agreed to call me if and when he shows up......I guess he is in the process of being evicted.......I cant understand what he would have to gain by not giving me the mso if he indeed did have it........it makes me think either he doesnt have it....or the boat is stolen from another state......in either case I am @#$%**..........
Old 04-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Registered

Gee---I think you just got yourself a homemade boat. See what you have to do to get some numbers assigned to your "new, homemade boat".
Old 04-11-2002, 10:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I agree, sounds like a home-made boat to me.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Registered

From the FAQ on Fla fish & Wildlife
(shor love the avatar, red's my favorite color)

What should the purchaser of a vessel do if he is unable to contact the titled owner to obtain the certificate of title or an executed bill of sale?

"Notify the Bureau of Vessel Titles and Registrations in writing stating the existing problem and furnish the Florida registration number of the vessel. The Department will provide the name and address of the titled owner with the necessary instructions for transferring the ownership of the vessel."

I think that would be my next call, while not exactly your case you could call the F/W office and see.

Also check out this form it has a place for lost titles ect so it may be of some use
http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/hsmvdocs/dmv82040.pdf

Here is a link to all the county offices, I'd give the local one a call and try to talk to the department head, not some clerk that doesn't deal in these things. I am sure it's come up before and it's just getting to the person in the know. http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/offices/
Old 04-13-2002, 10:20 AM
Registered

Thanx for the links.....I will try and follow them up on Monday......appreciate the help...Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.