Notices

Boat shopping help

Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
how do you guys like your 32AT's? was on my list as well but havent seen any for sale i like the looks of
I really like my 32 AT. It has been a fantastic boat. There are not a lot of them out there, so when you find a nice one for sale, you need to jump on it. I closed the deal on mine within a couple weeks of it being listed. That also keeps resale good on them. Suncoast has a 32 that looks very nice, but a little overpriced IMO. They have had it for sale for a LONG time.

The decks are all the same, but cabin layouts can vary depending on the year and what the person who had it built wanted. BTW, the freeboard on my 32 is as deep as Top Gun. I have 5 & 8 year olds, so I understand what you're talking about with regard to feeling safe.

Last edited by Griff; 10-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent you an email. I have some nice options available at our Marina. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
if anyone knows of any good boats for sale that fit what im looking for feel free to let me know!
LOL I did.
FYI
Baja's.. light, relatively fast,, economical "Chevy's " of the water. Won't take the pounding on the Big Pond too long.
Fountains.. Ditto. A bit better built.. but too many out there. A dime a Doz. (sort of speak) and just forget about the beak. Just reduce about 2' from "claimed" size. Many has stringer and delamination issues.
Donzi... Good boats. Depands on the year.. jelcoat and fiber glass issues. Same with Scarabs.
Formula.. a bit heavy but great huls and boat. Need lots of HP to get them going.
AT.. Cultic.. good boats...Single step.. Depands on year step varies. Can get a bit tricky to hande.
Sonic... Great hull.. Deep "V" good rough water.. not the fastest hull around.
Hustlers.. well built boats.. Slingshot is pretty dafe to upper 90's. OK headroom.. Good choise.
Cigs.. Northtecs. OL's etc.. great hulls.. good boats.. Planty of $'s too.
Velocities,.. OK bot no headroom.. a bit strange deck design.
Powerquest,... OK hull.. heavy... good headroom... a bit slow for the HP's.Steps are worthless.
Power play.. OK boats.. over rated,, due to limited production...
Nordic... Pretty decent overall stuff.
And a bunch of other are hit and miss.
Now you got the boat market 101 , have fun shopping.. just remember... every one will tell you what THEY like. Select what YOU like, for YOUR use.

(I'm ready for the chit I will get after this. but it seems that every time there is a "boat buyer" inquery.. no one is being objective.)

Last edited by PARADOX; 10-21-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PARADOX
LOL I did.
FYI
Baja's.. light, relatively fast,, economical "Chevy's " of the water. Won't take the pounding on the Big Pond too long.
Fountains.. Ditto. A bit better built.. but too many out there. A dime a Doz. (sort of speak) and just forget about the beak. Just reduce about 2' from "claimed" size. Many has stringer and delamination issues.
Donzi... Good boats. Depands on the year.. jelcoat and fiber glass issues. Same with Scarabs.
Formula.. a bit heavy but great huls and boat. Need lots of HP to get them going.
AT.. Cultic.. good boats...Single step.. Depands on year step varies. Can get a bit tricky to hande.
Sonic... Great hull.. Deep "V" good rough water.. not the fastest hull around.
Hustlers.. well built boats.. Slingshot is pretty dafe to upper 90's. OK headroom.. Good choise.
Cigs.. Northtecs. OL's etc.. great hulls.. good boats.. Planty of $'s too.
Velocities,.. OK bot no headroom.. a bit strange deck design.
Powerquest,... OK hull.. heavy... good headroom... a bit slow for the HP's.Steps are worthless.
Power play.. OK boats.. over rated,, due to limited production...
Nordic... Pretty decent overall stuff.
And a bunch of other are hit and miss.
Now you got the boat market 101 , have fun shopping.. just remember... every one will tell you what THEY like. Select what YOU like, for YOUR use.

(I'm ready for the chit I will get after this. but it seems that every time there is a "boat buyer" inquery.. no one is being objective.)
I'll start:

"AT.. Cultic.. good boats...Single step.. Depands on year step varies. Can get a bit tricky to hande."

Tricky to handle??? Couldn't be farther from the truth.

Have you driven all these boats?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm ready for the chit I will get after this.
It will be well earned.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
It will be well earned.
Yeaaah I know.. Sometimes thruth hurts. But no disrespect for any boatowner.. or boat.. just some data, and info. for boat buyers.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by slboatdrinks
I'll start:

"AT.. Cultic.. good boats...Single step.. Depands on year step varies. Can get a bit tricky to hande."

Tricky to handle??? Couldn't be farther from the truth.

Have you driven all these boats?
Great example of why I posted my summary. And yes. I drove most of them. I have not driven a Nordic to date.
As far as the AT's my comment stands. I have driven them before and I know Pat personnaly as well as Harry who designed the step/hull. I drove AT's back before Pat ever got the wind of the AT's in Chicago (North Subberb actually)
The step hull is a decendent of the Challanger Offshore hull designed for the Black Hawks. (originaly ownd by John Simpson, in MI) We tested the hull in lake "X" with twin 502 Black Hawks, and I drove hull no. 1 in the Pier 33 Poker Run in 1995, (With John) Later the AT hulls were pretty similar in design. (By Harry S) Later years the step decreased to make the hull better handling. (I think it's 4.5" now, but not 100%) Did not drove the new reduced step AT yet. Most step bottoms needs special care with driving. Due to the AT's as single step.. it's a bit more squirmy then double or tripple steps. Nothing wrong with it, good hull, but most people. (probobly like you) don't really know the charachteristics. If you REALLY know about the hulls, you would have said. "you right.. it is a bit tricky, but one can get use to it and the additinal lift and speed it's worth the learning curve".. And I would agree with you. AT's have a real nice free board design, but that adds weight. There is NO perfect boat for all boating needs. PERIOD.
Any more questions?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

None of the 32 AT's have/had a step.

The 37 stepped hull(DDC) did not even get produced until 1998 or 1999. The standard step is 4". There is more info in the AT forum from Pat on the step height and what subtle changes do.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great example of why I posted my summary. And yes. I drove most of them. I have not driven a Nordic to date.
As far as the AT's my comment stands. I have driven them before and I know Pat personnaly as well as Harry who designed the step/hull. I drove AT's back before Pat ever got the wind of the AT's in Chicago (North Subberb actually)
The step hull is a decendent of the Challanger Offshore hull designed for the Black Hawks. (originaly ownd by John Simpson, in MI) We tested the hull in lake "X" with twin 502 Black Hawks, and I drove hull no. 1 in the Pier 33 Poker Run in 1995, (With John) Later the AT hulls were pretty similar in design. (By Harry S) Later years the step decreased to make the hull better handling. (I think it's 4.5" now, but not 100%) Did not drove the new reduced step AT yet. Most step bottoms needs special care with driving. Due to the AT's as single step.. it's a bit more squirmy then double or tripple steps. Nothing wrong with it, good hull, but most people. (probobly like you) don't really know the charachteristics. If you REALLY know about the hulls, you would have said. "you right.. it is a bit tricky, but one can get use to it and the additinal lift and speed it's worth the learning curve".. And I would agree with you. AT's have a real nice free board design, but that adds weight. There is NO perfect boat for all boating needs. PERIOD.
Any more questions?
You have alot of info there, but I stand by my statement and you have not driven the current Active Thunder. You have no knowledge of the ride characteristics or handling of this boat.

Not sure why you would state that "most people. (probably like you) don't really know the charachteristics."

I owned the first 33 AT with the DDC hull for 4 years and have been in many 37 AT's with the DDC hull. I REALLY do know this hull and it is not tricky, nor does it take any getting used to. In fact, it is the complete opposite.

Steve
Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Registered

Steve. I'm not knocking AT's or any other boat.
In fact see post no. 25.
Glad that you know your hull. (Not knowng you and based on your post why I said "probably" like you)
But for a first tme boatowner or some one stepping up to more performance, stepped hulls need different attention.
"Tricky" by no mans it's bad.
I would hate to see some one jumping in a single stepped hull (Specially a 7+") want to make a sharp turn,.. tuck in the drives and spins the boat, (not knowing anything about "pivot points")
That's all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.