fresh water tank winterization >

fresh water tank winterization

Notices

fresh water tank winterization

Old 10-20-2009, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default fresh water tank winterization

This is my first season with a fresh water/sink system. What are you guys using to winterize them? I've heard stories of the pink antifreeze staining the tank. Has anyone thought or tried using windshield washer fluid?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They are bopth just dye.... Windshield wsher will just stain the tank blue ifit all. In the spring just run some ammonia or bleach through the system and rinse it a few timers. To be extra safe you can even retain a sample out of the sink and get it tested. I just put like 4 gallons in mine and run everything until pink comes through.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I've always used the non-tox.

One question; Do you have a hot water tank?

If not, run the water system until the tank is empty, then pour roughly a 1/2 to 1 gallon of water in the tank and run "all" the fixtures one-at-a-time until you see pink.

If you have a hot water heater you need to bypass the heater and drain the heater down completely and leave the petcok open on the water heater over teh winter..... Then do the same as above but be sure to open the hot water and cold water fixtures.