Looking for good SBC exhaust? >

Looking for good SBC exhaust?

Notices

Looking for good SBC exhaust?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spilman
For the money, hp increase, weight decrease from stock, looks and durability I found the Stainless Marine to be the best value....I was purchasing 2 sets though. In my application 99' AT28 w/350magMPI's-Bravos they added 200-300 rpms/1.5-2 mph.
For a single I might go with something more pricey...
Yup, Stainless Marine !!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Looking for good SBC exhaust?-img_1997.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I went the cheaper route on mine and bought a set of $250 GLM aluminum manifolds off from Dennis Moore. They have the individual runners like the more expensive manifolds. I used a set of FastGlass/Imco Stainless short risers and welded on 22" extensions to prevent reversion and also to help with power. The water and exhaust do not mix until inside the tip. While not the prettiest, they flow plenty for 500hp and the boat runs 80.5 GPS. Not bad for $250 plus some custom fab work on the risers.

Dry exhaust sounds better too......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxT0vfMSJDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbnBNN3NjGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORkMT3JMWu8

If I were going to spend the $$ on better exhaust, I would probably go SM. I like the way their riser setup is placed. Dry and adjustable. The CMI's look sweet but man the horror stories.......

Last edited by Ryan00TJ; 10-29-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like the tube style headers need to be replaced every few years I don't want to mess with that I want to do it once and do it right. All of hem seem to be in the area of $2000 so that doesn't matter much. I was thinking the lightning ones but again I hear bad things about tube headers. So far im thinking EMI or IMCO but nothing forsure yet Too bad Dana does have any for small blocks

Last edited by twistedvelocity; 10-30-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Imco's on my 406ci SBC that made 850hp. Never had a problem.
That being said if I were doing it now I would go with the CMI. They did not make a SBC set of headers when I built my motors.
MP

Last edited by Cat & Mice; 10-30-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
I haven't seen the words "CMI" and "fantastic product" in the same sentence for a long time unless the sentence was "The CMIs on my 525s leaked and I bought Stainless Marine which have turned out to be a fantastic product"
I've had multiple boats with them (and one boat now with them) and never had a problem with anything other than the price tag associated with buying them.

If I did Id slam them.

Did you have a problem with CMI's?

UD
Attached Thumbnails Looking for good SBC exhaust?-710-bay.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by twistedvelocity
it sounds like the tube style headers need to be replaced every few years I don't want to mess with that I want to do it once and do it right. All of hem seem to be in the area of $2000 so that doesn't matter much. I was thinking the lightning ones but again I hear bad things about tube headers. So far im thinking EMI or IMCO but nothing forsure yet Too bad Dana does have any for small blocks
Do a little digging around to see what Eddie young from Young performance has to say about EMI's. He has a lot of experience with them.

You can also call Eric at Teague and ask him about them he used to work at EMI.

Lightning makes a great product. So does Imco.

The Stainless Marine header is a little easier to fit as you can rotate the elbow ever so slightly.

Lots of great product out there the stuff Chris used (cb-blr) seem interesting as well.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=Uncle Dave;2982599]Do a little digging around to see what Eddie young from Young performance has to say about EMI's. He has a lot of experience with them.

??????
I have sold EMI Exhaust for years and never had a problem with a set of Exhaust from them. All the customers seem to be happy they did not have to spend more $$$ for the same performance.
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 10-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=DiamondPerformance;2982737]
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Do a little digging around to see what Eddie young from Young performance has to say about EMI's. He has a lot of experience with them.

??????
I have sold EMI Exhaust for years and never had a problem with a set of Exhaust from them. All the customers seem to be happy they did not have to spend more $$$ for the same performance.

All the poster needs to do is a little searching.

Have you read Eddie Youngs postings about his experiences?

(http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...o-exhaust.html)

Eric at Teague did work for Eddie Marine and is a good source of info about them.
Its the posters money - free to cheap research is a good thing.

Are you suggesting either source of information isn't legitimate?

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-30-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
I've had multiple boats with them (and one boat now with them) and never had a problem with anything other than the price tag associated with buying them.

If I did Id slam them.

Did you have a problem with CMI's?

UD
I have three friends with 525s and each has had the leaking problem. No shortage of complaints about them on the forums either.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
I have three friends with 525s and each has had the leaking problem. No shortage of complaints about them on the forums either.

bummer- like I said never had a problem with their products.

Probably more complaints than Stellings or lightning, but CMI sells a lot more headers than either.

What are you running?

UD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.