GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA >

GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA

Notices

GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA

Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Looks good, how much were they asking? Headers included? Headers and reversion issues due to agressive (or mild) camshaft ?

I realize I have lots of questions, but I would think if the motor is marinized, then, with the headers in the market place for this motor that the cam shaft profile would be taken in account. I am not well versed in small aftermarket exhaust, though I have been following the SBC thread.
You have a PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you have in mind for the small block? With it being all alum would this be a problem. Seems like a great idea all power!!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hannibal41
What do you have in mind for the small block? With it being all alum would this be a problem. Seems like a great idea all power!!
My pockets are not full enough to do what I want, just gathering information. Closed cooling solves most of the aluminum concerns. I pull the boat out at fresh water ramps, now and in the future, so that helps in corrosion reduction.

I would think two of these (LSA or LS9) in a 27' Magnum, or plug a 34' Phantom, and make it a 32' boat with updating and redesign. Just ideas. I have lots of ideas, they just cost alot....

Newer technology, great design, weight savings, fuel efficient, ect.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW !!! I cant wait to see some boats test with a pair of these!! Anybody read or seen any postings?

If this engine weights in a 467 lbs waht does a 496HO weigh? How about a 502?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Here is what they look like in order and what they are used for by GM: LS9 (Covette ZR-1), LSA (Cadillac CTS-V), LS7 (Corvette racing)

I will have to check with GM Performance Parts Plus for pricing, but that will only be a street motor. LS9 = $22K
Attached Thumbnails GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA-ls9.jpg   GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA-lsa.jpg   GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA-ls7.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 11-01-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: LS9 Price
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Square Peg In a Round Hole!

Right Here Now!
Both of these GM engines are in question now even for sales for car applications and even marine use will be a problem if you need the 500 ft/lbs of torque since the engines would be in boost all the time to deliver those numbers. This is the real reason Raylar & Mercury opted not to use or develop marine engines based on these smaller cubic inch supercharged engine platforms. Small cubic inch engines no matter how light in weight that can't deliver big torque numbers without boost are just small blocks of limited power and if they are in boost all the time to deliver these higher torque numbers, they are not going to live in marine high performance use no matter how COOL they look or sound!

THERE AIN'T NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!! In Boats Anyway!

This is why Raylar developed the LSM550 in a 434cu.inch size normally aspirated in an all aluminum version that is fresh water cooled and delivers over 500 ft/lbs of torque from 3800 to 5400 rpms.
This is the torque and power that is needed in performance boats and is what variable cam timing in a bigger inch aluminum small block can deliver. The only real problem for Raylar at this time with this motor is no one seems to have the money to buy new engines of this type in this economy so we'll just have to wait for the recovery?? If you've got the dollars, we've got the answer and the engine!

You guys figure out how to get a 365cubic inch or so small block to make 500ft/lbs of torque OUT OF BOOST and we'll start making them as quickly as we can!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Cost seems to be the chief factor. Twin small blocks have been installed in a 27'-32' boats for over 40 years with success, in racing and nonracing applications. The advent of a big power single with a drive that can handle it over small block twins has decreased that application and made it a affordable and one less motor to worry about.

Is your 434 cu.in version based on the Generation (LS7 above)small block? What does your version cost with exhaust? Horsepower peak at what rpm? Warranty?

I am a tire kicker and not a real prospect at this time, but a real prospect may be reading this thread, you never know.

PS - The JIMKID thread about his 30' Skater and the twin LS7 small blocks is pretty interesting, here is a quote,"722 hp at 6500 531ft of torque at 3500 and peak 645 ft torque at 5800 this thing is stillmaking 600ft of torque at 6300 rpm."

Impressive.

Last edited by Smarty; 11-02-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink How Much Is That Doggy In The Window??

Cost is always with most performance boaters the determining factor when they repower a boat and is always influential when the spec out a new boat.
The Raylar LSM550 engines are start out as LS7 blocks, but nothing internal is GM other than the block. Everything else is forged quality specially Raylar designed parts and specifications except the variable cam control system which is a GM part with our ECM control.
The LSM550 currently,prices in the $26K-$29K range depending on equipment and configuration.
Good reliable, warrantied 500HP EFI electronic power is not cheap so don't plan on buying big power cheap unless you want to curse your project.
When you are ready to proceed on an upgrade call me and we will get you the pricing on our engine packages.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
...don't plan on buying big power cheap...Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Whose avatar says "Fast, Cheap, Reliable - pick two"? So true. Seems to me LS series engines would be far better than old-school mouse motors in small-block applications, though, especially singles. More power and less weight.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Cost is always with most performance boaters the determining factor when they repower a boat and is always influential when the spec out a new boat.
The Raylar LSM550 engines are start out as LS7 blocks, but nothing internal is GM other than the block. Everything else is forged quality specially Raylar designed parts and specifications except the variable cam control system which is a GM part with our ECM control.
The LSM550 currently,prices in the $26K-$29K range depending on equipment and configuration.
Good reliable, warrantied 500HP EFI electronic power is not cheap so don't plan on buying big power cheap unless you want to curse your project.
When you are ready to proceed on an upgrade call me and we will get you the pricing on our engine packages.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Ray,

Thank you for the response. As you said there is no cheap way to reliability and horsepower, I agree and understand. I like what JIMKID did with his motors, that is some nice hardware. Your LS7 is also very nice.

Do you need a test boat for this idea (twin application 27'-32')? I will supply the rest, just an idea...

Chuck,

I am with you on the older style SBC. Before my father passed he was kicking around the idea of going to 540's for the Magnum, or going the other way and having a set of Bill Mitchell (World Products) 427 cu.in. SBC motors; the small block idea would have been costly, new exhaust, new everything for the SBC. He could have done short blocks 540 cu.in. He never got around to either idea, but he was once a hardcore small block Chevy guy, before the Pantera and Magnum ownership.

JIMKID,

I had to post the pictures of your hot-rod LS7's beautiful (hope you do not mind). That is what I am talking about, and a great boat for that motor application. Outstanding!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Smarty; 11-03-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.