Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can I just drop a blower on my 540's???? >

Can I just drop a blower on my 540's????

Notices

Can I just drop a blower on my 540's????

Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have 540 cu. and put a 1071 roots type blower on top, drive it 1 to 1 , you will get about 5 lbs boost. The biggest problem you are going to have is keeping exhaust valves from looking like they were from Holland. Go to inconel valves and aluminum heads if you can afford the cost. At the very least pop for the better valves. Keep in mind that the aluminum is going to deteriorate in salt water.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

forget the idea, i dont want to spend a ton of money, they run perfect right now, and they only have 20 hours on them since being rebuilt...............
Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosco
check out pro-chargers marine systems tought a 40 % power increase. yes you will have to improve fuel delivery and lower compression. they shouls have all the info as they have sold piles of them.
Bosco
Not sure why all the hate about Prochargers. They seem to be working just fine in the drag racing world, Street Outlaw division, and the tech guys at Chevy Hi Performance Magazine seem to think that it is a good product, and they know a whole lot more about making horsepower than I do. Is the ProCharger marine application a dog? Hard to believe.

I do prefer the roots blower(s).

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ght/index.html

PS -- maybe the reason the ProCharger is not as popular in the marine application is exactly what the title of this thread states, "Can I just drop a blower on my 540's????" That about sums up why people may be dissatisfied with a product that fails.

Last edited by Smarty; 01-21-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

i agree with smarty, most people who put prochargers on their motors just drop them on, and dont do anything else to the motor
Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I would not just install a thicker head gasket to lower compression. You will lose your quench and that will make the engine more susceptable to detonation.
Eddie
I hear that!!! When I bought my boat and we rebuilt the engines I learned they were 9:1 with a .060 head gasket... I wound up buying dished pistons and using a .040 headgasket got the compression down to 8.3 with iron heads.

How do you feel about running 9:1 blown engines on low boost? Do you think you get the best of both worlds reaping some of the benefits of NA and blown???
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quench is key in a quality marine engine build thats for sure. Blowers need to spin a certain min rpm to be efficient panther. If you can make low boost and spin the blower above its min effic rpm, you will have a nice setup in the marine evironment. That's why my setup works well.