Red/Green Navigation light location >

Red/Green Navigation light location

Notices

Red/Green Navigation light location

Old 10-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Red/Green Navigation light location

I'm removing my green/red navigation light from the front of the boat,bought 2 Livorsi LED lights,I want to mount them on the sides of the boat,was thinking about installing them somewhere around the front of the windshield above the rubrail , I like the looks plus I can always look at them to make sure there working,its a 30 foot boat,would that location be USCG approved?

I seen some cigs that have them there so I think it sould be ok,
Old 10-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not positive about this, but I think you are supposed to mount that type of nav light at the widest part of the boat, which is usually just in front of the windshield, just as you described.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just remember to make sure they can be seen from straight ahead of you as well. I know someone who moved their lights to the side and anyone coming right at them couldn't see any red/green. A near miss happened, and he switched his lights back. Wasn't a performance boat but the same principles apply.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Lights

Your location is good. Just make sure they are oriented so that each can be seen from boat bow centerline up to112.5 (but not more) degrees back from the boat centerline and can't be seen from the other side of boat bow centerline. It is not required that they be located at the widest part of the boat.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

When mounting them, take into consideration that the bow will rise. Make sure the bow rise does not block them. I almost had a head on with a cruiser that was plowing with its bow up and his front nav lights were not visible.