WARNING !!! For those going to KEY WEST

Notices

WARNING !!! For those going to KEY WEST

Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation WARNING !!! For those going to KEY WEST

For those going to Key West or on any trip for that matter where you are staying in a Hotel that uses Card Access have a look at this !!!

Swipe here to steal ID

If Peter Wallace’s recent experience with hotel access cards is an indicator, leaving your electronic hotel room key behind when you check out could leave you open to identity theft.

Wallace, IT director at AAA Reading-Berks in Wyomissing, Penn. has been bringing a card reader with him on business trips to see what's on the magnetic strips of his hotel room access cards. To his dismay, a surprising number have contained his name and credit card information - and in unencrypted form.

What’s scary is how easy it is for even a novice to steal this information. He says he bought a $39 card reader at a local retail store and plugged it into his laptop's USB port. Now when he scans a card, the device inputs the data directly into an open Excel or Word document.

I asked Wallace how often he finds his personal data on the cards. “Certain chains have that information [on their cards]. I’ve noticed it on three different chains,” he says. While he declined to name specific hotels, he says the most recent incident occurred in June at a resort. In that hotel the magnetic strip yielded his credit card information, street address and full name.

Wallace adds that not all hotels are a problem. For example, a scan of a card at a Disney resort came up with a series of garbled numbers and letters. “It looks like just junk on the card. But it ties back that information to their computer systems,” he says.

To be safe, the next time you check out of a hotel take your access card with you and shred it when you get home, Wallace advises. He admits to even having considered taking a shredder with him on some trips. “The thought has crossed my mind. I’m a paranoid S.O.B. because I know the tricks that are out there,” he says.

Source:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/1016

This story was written 4 years ago but I had no idea that a hotel would have such information on an access key let alone unencrypted...

I certainly will never leave those cards behind again.....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoda thunk! Thanks for the heads up Tim
Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Sherlock !!!

I've had the "Bell Man" ask if I wanted him to turn in the card. My thought was, that's "special service", simultaneously, it didn't feel right. No, I have never accepted, but have had it happen more than once.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Many years ago I stayed at the Pier House in KW and my friend met an old school friend that lived in KW. He told him our room number and that was it. The guy run up a $2000 tab on our room. I had all I could do to get out of that one. They couldn't produce any signatures so I couldn't be held liable. It was security problem of the hotel not my problem. We spent our last two nights looking for the guy, but no luck.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
FPC Events
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, I always throw mine in the garbage.