Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What Sirius portable unit are you using? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/219696-what-sirius-portable-unit-you-using.html)

whoya 11-07-2009 09:44 AM

What Sirius portable unit are you using?

I was using a older Audiovox(actually went thru three of them over four/five years) portable unit to move from dock to dock and it went up in smoke.
Just wondering whats a good one to buy right now.
Thanx

LapseofReason 11-07-2009 11:15 AM

I have 3 sportsters and the Pioneer avic 3 in my Excursion. all over 5 years old with no problems, aside from a few ant. needing to be replaced but the sportsters docks have been moved 2-3 times each and I think thats what kills the ant. (I change cars alot.) I also have a getto blaster for the sporster and it's been fine too.

GO4BROKE 11-07-2009 12:05 PM

We have the starmate/replay. Stores the last 45 mins of what you listen to, can pause, ff, rw, just like tivo.

whoya 11-07-2009 12:06 PM

Are they still selling the Sportster?
Have they updated that unit?
I have to start looking to see whats out there.

whoya 11-07-2009 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 2987119)
We have the starmate/replay. Stores the last 45 mins of what you listen to, can pause, ff, rw, just like tivo.

How long have you had it? Any problems?
Thanks

LapseofReason 11-07-2009 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by whoya (Post 2987122)
Are they still selling the Sportster?
Have they updated that unit?
I have to start looking to see whats out there.

I am not sure, I have one of the first sportster 1 and then a few months later 2 of the #2's they are pretty much the same just more opps. on the # 2's that I never use. The only reason I keep the same thing was so they can be moved from car to car and anybody can use the boom box. The newer stuff is alot smaller and nicer. Go to TSSradio.com and look at what they have or call Sirius and tell them yours broke so your gonna turn your service off and I bet they give you a new one.

whoya 11-07-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 2987161)
I am not sure, I have one of the first sportster 1 and then a few months later 2 of the #2's they are pretty much the same just more opps. on the # 2's that I never use. The only reason I keep the same thing was so they can be moved from car to car and anybody can use the boom box. The newer stuff is alot smaller and nicer. Go to TSSradio.com and look at what they have or call Sirius and tell them yours broke so your gonna turn your service off and I bet they give you a new one.

I have a lifetime plan. Problem is they told me a while back you can only do 2 or 3(I for got what number it is) exchanges, As in changing radios/Portable units. I need a unit that will last, My last audiovox that I turned on, lasted 3 months. It was a older but new unit I was holding onto in case my other one went bad which it did.

LapseofReason 11-07-2009 05:52 PM

I didn't do the life time because they told me it was the life of the radio not me and I couldn't change the radio. That was before the XM merger maybe they changed the rules.I pay the whole year at once and get the free internet.

LapseofReason 11-07-2009 05:53 PM

I didn't do the life time because they told me it was the life of the radio not me and I couldn't change the radio. That was before the XM merger maybe they changed the rules.I pay the whole year at once and get the free internet

whoya 11-07-2009 06:48 PM

I actually have two lifetimes(Girlfriends and mine).
She bought a new car this year and Sirius said when we changed it over to her new vehicle (from a portable unit) that it stays the life of that car now and no more changing.
I was able to change a few months ago from portable unit to portable unit.