Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What warm state has the best freshwater boating? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/219926-what-warm-state-has-best-freshwater-boating.html)

GO4BROKE 11-11-2009 08:31 PM

What warm state has the best freshwater boating?

New York taxes and weather are getting old. Starting to think of alternatives. Wondering where there are large freshwater lakes elsewhere. I love lake Ontario but its getting a little cool now. Perhaps Meade or Havasu. Not crazy about super crowded boating either.

DrewDown 11-12-2009 01:29 AM

No crowds at mead and powell. Powell is a incredible lake. You can get lost, in a good way. Havasu is not so large.

Catmando 11-12-2009 01:37 AM

Lots of lakes in Texas and the boating season can run from April to November.

Audiofn 11-12-2009 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 2989701)

Dude we have that season up in Maine. You guys got to learn to tuffen up a little bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

masher44 11-12-2009 06:19 AM

Tennessee

boatman22 11-12-2009 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 2989701)

Lots of Lakes in Texas...This weekend we will be out on Lake Conroe...highs in the 80's Fri-Sun lows on the 60's at night. Lake Travis, Texhoma,. and many more...come on down for some Texas hospitality...:coolcowboy:

five cent worth 11-12-2009 07:35 AM

Good thread.

Lake Norman here in Charlotte has to be up there too. Very close to a major city (less than 15 miles from downtown). Not near as big as some of the lakes mentioned here and the season might not be as long as Texas.

Lots of mid-westerns here!!!

Dean Ferry 11-12-2009 07:36 AM

You would be surprised by all the freshwater lakes/rivers in Fl. The St. johns River is very long and WILD! And there is Lake Ockachobee, (sp?) alsoThere alot of lakes in central fl. but obviosly, the Fl coastal boating is some of the best in the world! :drink: I grew up boating on Lake Ontario, (Port Bay) at my grandparent's place, beautiful boating, but the water temp, even in the summer, would be too cold now for these old bones!
Good luck with your relo...
Dean
PS: Florida has NO state income tax either!:drink:

johnlomant 11-12-2009 07:40 AM

georgia is cheap fun and near florida

Wildman_grafix 11-12-2009 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 2989738)
You would be surprised by all the freshwater lakes/rivers in Fl. The St. johns River is very long and WILD! And there is Lake Ockachobee, (sp?) alsoThere alot of lakes in central fl. but obviosly, the Fl coastal boating is some of the best in the world! :drink: I grew up boating on Lake Ontario, (Port Bay) at my grandparent's place, beautiful boating, but the water temp, even in the summer, would be too cold now for these old bones!
Good luck with your relo...
Dean
PS: Florida has NO state income tax either!:drink:

I'll take you up on it but can't find work in FL!

Dean Ferry 11-12-2009 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 2989743)
I'll take you up on it but can't find work in FL!

Yeah I hear ya, the wife's co. closed last Friday, and she's now out of work. She's going on the Obama free loader plan :eek: until probobly after x-mas, then she'll go back to work!:drink:
Dean

Jupiter Sunsation 11-12-2009 02:34 PM

No carefree swimming in dark FL lakes/rivers......gators love them. Even at the Jacksonville PR lunch stop (Outback Crab Shack, 1/4 mile long dock) tons of boats around and gators swimming 5 feet off the dock.....and people swimming 5 feet off the other side of the dock!

Clear water doens't hold heat as well (freshwater springs) and colder water is usually not where you find gators.

Steve_H 11-12-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by boatman22 (Post 2989728)
Lots of Lakes in Texas...This weekend we will be out on Lake Conroe...highs in the 80's Fri-Sun lows on the 60's at night. Lake Travis, Texhoma,. and many more...come on down for some Texas hospitality...:coolcowboy:

No state tax in Texas either :)

bert4332 11-12-2009 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_H (Post 2989827)
No state tax in Texas either :)

Not only no income Tax, but no luxury taxes, registration for vehicles and boats is ridiculously cheap compared to the Northeast. The housing is VERY cheap, however, you don't get the kind of appreciation in a lot of markets. Buy cheap, sell cheap, but you get a LOT for your money compared to the N.E. Additionally some of the best looking women on the planet, "one" day spent at party cove on Lake Lewisville, you will never leave the Dallas area. :evilb:

I'm probably getting transferred to the D.C. area, damn, it doesn't take long to realize how good it is here until you start looking over there! Good luck no matter where you go.

2112 11-13-2009 12:17 AM

:worthless_without_p

socalstone 11-13-2009 12:46 AM

We moved from the DC area (montgomery county MD) to Lake Norman in NC. We love it. Been here about 3 years. I'm sure Georgia, Texas and others have a lot to offer, but this area is fantastic. Mild climate, but you still get change of seasons and a short winter, people are more friendly, traffic is a nothing compared to DC. housing costs are significantly lower, LKN is pretty big, plenty of other lakes nearby, and not far to the coast.

GO4BROKE 11-13-2009 08:16 PM

Thanks everyone.

bobbowobbo 11-13-2009 08:27 PM

good hope bay

Originally Posted by DrewDown (Post 2989699)
No crowds at mead and powell. Powell is a incredible lake. You can get lost, in a good way. Havasu is not so large.

powell isn't that where planet of the ape's spacecraft crashed

stormbauer 11-15-2009 01:06 AM

So what about the Sandusky area? I visited for a few days last year anf looked like a great area. Winter not real short but Lake Erie is very shallow and gets fairly warm. Anyone have thoughts on this area?

FIRST AFENCE 11-15-2009 08:02 AM

;) Lake cumberland Kentucky.

golfmaxgolf 11-15-2009 08:54 AM

Sandusky

The greater sandusky islands area is certainly amoung the best areas for great freshwater boating, cleveland and east 1-1-1/2 hrs, detroit river 1-1/2 hrs (cruisin) islands(kelly's) 20min. leamington ontario 1 hr + - There is alot of boating to get to very easily from sandusky! Also one of the largest concentrations of protected boathouses in all of the lakes! Many a go fast from back in the cove! Boating can be had aslong as there isn't ice! This all brought IMHO Rich

golfmaxgolf 11-15-2009 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by golfmaxgolf (Post 2990590)
The greater sandusky islands area is certainly amoung the best areas for great freshwater boating, cleveland and east 1-1-1/2 hrs, detroit river 1-1/2 hrs (cruisin) islands(kelly's) 20min. leamington ontario 1 hr + - There is alot of boating to get to very easily from sandusky! Also one of the largest concentrations of protected boathouses in all of the lakes! Many a go fast from back in the cove! Boating can be had aslong as there isn't ice! This all brought IMHO Rich

As an added bonus when the ice does come, Ride your sled into your boatwell