Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Counter Rotating on Cats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/220305-counter-rotating-cats.html)

Moving2Miami 11-20-2009 05:02 PM

Counter Rotating on Cats

I have a question for the Cat guys out there....Is it important to counter rotate the engines on cats with big power? I am talking boats like Skater, MTI, etc...

I am just curious...thanks.

Griff 11-20-2009 05:14 PM

Engines=NO
Drives=YES

Steve 1 11-20-2009 06:09 PM

On the early Arneson Cats we reversed rotation on one engine.

Moving2Miami 11-20-2009 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2993724)
Engines=NO
Drives=YES

Thanks, Griff...That's what I thought....

Now, with Arnesons or BPM drives, is it the drive that does this, or the transmission?

Steve 1 11-20-2009 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Moving2Miami (Post 2993752)
Thanks, Griff...That's what I thought....

Now, with Arnesons or BPM drives, is it the drive that does this, or the transmission?

That is a question for Rik in those days the drives were turned whatever direction the input shaft was turning and there were no reversing transmissions that could take the power and RPM of the racing Engines which BTW they did not seem to mind what direction they turned.

Steve 1 11-20-2009 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by OUTLAW11 (Post 2993823)
:party-smiley-004:ARE YOU FOR REAL??????????

No we always had a reverse rotation motor and the Dyno pulls showed not much difference no more that you would see between two standard or left hand rotation motors.

Which is great for the port side but what do you do for the starboard side? You need a right hand rotation motor.No Biggie.

Bear in mind this was when we had a crash Box connected Via a Jack Shaft to a drop case on the transom with the drive on the bottom of it no reverse rotation was built into it.

Beautiful setup, engine torque was perfectly balanced and you could spin the drive over with your fingers the drop box had ATF in it low loss Mr Arneson hid a great job on it. But That was then. Arneson #6 Boat Fayva Shoes Cat #2 The Surgen. everything that ran out front in those days.

Moving2Miami 11-20-2009 10:06 PM

I was talking to a guy today who makes 2-speed transmissions for performance boating and he mentioned that his transmissions can't counter rotate, so I was just wondering if this is a function of the motor, transmission, or drive....I am pretty new to this stuff, as you can see...lol

fountain4play 11-20-2009 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Moving2Miami (Post 2993752)

With Arneson's the drive is what determines the rotation...At least on ASD-7M's it is...One is gear driven and the other is Chain driven...

Moving2Miami 11-20-2009 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by fountain4play (Post 2993859)
With Arneson's the drive is what determines the rotation...At least on ASD-7M's it is...One is gear driven and the other is Chain driven...

Cool....do you know if its the same on BPM drives?

fountain4play 11-20-2009 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Moving2Miami (Post 2993862)
Cool....do you know if its the same on BPM drives?

Not sure if Rik Wimp is around I'm sure he has the answer...He's the expert....I'm just a customer and very happy with my Arneson's...:drink:

Rik 11-20-2009 11:39 PM

The Arneson's have counter rotating in the drive as do the Drop Box BPM gear boxes. So you can run two standard rotation (assuming it is a twin engine boat) engines and have counter rotating propellers.