Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Single vs. Twin Engine Cat >

Single vs. Twin Engine Cat

Notices

Single vs. Twin Engine Cat

Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the only ones I have of the cabin..The pics of the guy in the cabin working, thats Wayne of RPM and he is 6'3" tall, a big guy
Attached Thumbnails Single vs. Twin Engine Cat-100_0524.jpg   Single vs. Twin Engine Cat-100_0525.jpg   Single vs. Twin Engine Cat-100_0564.jpg  

Old 11-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you the same Plum Crazy from the Viper world?
Old 11-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy mine, build up the motors a little for you trip dig requirement and pocket a large chunk of the cash in savings!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Single vs. Twin Engine Cat-sportcat-grharbor.jpg  
Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+3 on RPM

I honestly feel that the RPM cat is the nicest single engine cat I have ever had the opportunity to drive. There is no way to go wrong with this package, and Steve... the owner, is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. He would bend over backwards making sure a customer is happy. He helps me out, gives me advise, and I havent even bought a boat from him.......yet.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 11-22-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a look at HTM, The SR24 meets or exceeds all of your requirements. Not a boat out there in its size that has near the room inside the cabin and cockpit.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Take a look at HTM, The SR24 meets or exceeds all of your requirements. Not a boat out there in its size that has near the room inside the cabin and cockpit.
I forgot about the HTM SR24. That is a single engine cat that definitely has a roomy cabin. It is one TALL boat. Different style, but definitely fast and spacious.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Forget the HTM in rough water. At LOTO that boat will beat you up. It is a nice lake boat. I prefer twins in a cat. To go 100 mph in a single you are going to need a blower engine and that means you will have drive issues. Getting towed in is not fun. With twins you can get to 100 with mild power and if you break a drive you can limp on one. Going fast in a cat with mild power will take some skill in rough water to not break bravos. In and out of the water is hard on drives. A used 28 Skater with twin outboard 300's or 300x's is about as nice as it gets for going 100 mph for under $75k. I like the Eliminator hull for no porpoise and the creature comforts. A 28 with twins or a 33 would be nice. There are better rough water hulls like Skater, Nortech and MTI but the cost will be far more. You get what you pay for. Sorry but the AO 31 (all the Chris Cat knock offs) are old school and a little scary to drive. There are much larger differences in cat hull designs than say V-bottom comparisons. For what you want the 28 Skater is the best boat for the buck by a long shot. Nothing else will even be close in ride quality or speed. No cabin, but most other cats have lousy cabins anyway.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 11-24-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A U.I.M. Class 3C racecat (23-24ft/ 1800lbs/200Xs) is a 100+mph boat...but it will set you back more than 75K...

If it was me IŽd forget the idea of a cabin in a cat and look only for speed...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 11-24-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure there are some very nice smaller cats out their but personally I wouldn't look at anything under 30' or so if you plan on spending any time at LOTO. I'd also definitely have twins for all the good reasons that Brad mentioned... Heck I even bought a small 280 Dancer for my wife with twins for that very same reasons...

There are quite a few Eliminators down at the lake that seem to work pretty well.

As for a cabin mine has one and we only use it for storage of life jackets and floaties... It's pretty large but without vents you can get pretty claustrophobic, it would work in a pinch to get out of a downpour but I'm not to sure I'd spend time down there for an overnighter.

Right now is a perfect time to check out your options there are a ton of boats available at the best prices we've ever seen. I'd take my time and do some research and if you can go on as many test rides first.

Good luck

Jim
Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer twins too personally and if it has to carry those close to you ..go a tad bigger than I stated.. a 28 Skater with twins would be good.
You can run one in heavy seas, it just takes skill to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.