Carbon Fiber Vinyl pros and cons >

Carbon Fiber Vinyl pros and cons

Notices

Carbon Fiber Vinyl pros and cons

Old 11-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Vinyl pros and cons

I am going to redo my vinyl this winter. I really like the look of the carbon fiber looking vinyl, but it seems like it would be a pain to keep clean. All of those little indents in the vinyl to trap dirt.

How hard is it to keep clean, I was planning on going with off white and graphite, 3with the bulk of it being white.

Has anyone had problems with the vinyl fading quickly?

Any info you can provide would be great..

Thanks.
Rob
Old 11-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on this question

Chris
Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

contact glassdave.. he did some kick ass vinyl work on a sled for me and used some of it.. I have not got it dirty yet though..
Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

1st generation silver CF vinyl had fading issues when the BACK of your Sunbrella cover would get wet. For instance, if you put the cover on really quick after it just started raining. The waterproofing chemical destroyed the silver dye.

The CF vinyls are actually a weave of vinyl fibers that are glued to a solid backing. IMHO, they scratch and scuff very easily.

There is a newer material that is a pressed pattern vinyl. Craig Barrie was the first one that found the material about 2 years ago and put it in the Donzi ZRC factory boat. A few of us have kept our eye on that boat to see how the material has been holding up, and it still looks pretty good. We just put some of it in a redone interior on a 2007 AT and it looks great.

The newer generation CF vinyls are much better than the 1st generation stuff.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I did the newer pressed CF vinyl last year. I went with silver and black. You are right about keeping it clean. It takes a little more elbow grease to get everything out of the pattern. Not that big of a deal though. I suspect that the off white would require more attention when cleaning compared to colors though. But it does look great.....
Old 11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered

My all carbon came from PPI and I have found that it cleans up easier I have had no issues over one season, just rember it will be darker than your original color...Here is the Differance in my old and the new
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Vinyl pros and cons-img_0370.jpg   Carbon Fiber Vinyl pros and cons-img_0477.jpg   Carbon Fiber Vinyl pros and cons-img_0367.jpg  

Carbon Fiber Vinyl pros and cons-img_0480.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Registered

Redline, the new vinyl is silver though right not off white?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdub
I did the newer pressed CF vinyl last year. I went with silver and black. You are right about keeping it clean. It takes a little more elbow grease to get everything out of the pattern. Not that big of a deal though. I suspect that the off white would require more attention when cleaning compared to colors though. But it does look great.....
thats good to here john, I was wondering how it would clean up. just any vinly cleaner, how was your bird day hope it was nice thanks again for helping me on the travel and pics your what OSO is all about we need to hook up this summer at a race or you come up here with the family to check out cape cod , told the wife last week did you find a ride yet. if anyone is looking for a boat in the future and john is selling it, he has nice stuff.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Leathl_WS6
Redline, the new vinyl is silver though right not off white?
Yes it is silver
Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Registered

Give Mike at Fineline a call. We just finished formulating a vinyl cleaner and conditioner with a UV blocker exclusively for him, they have tested it extensively and it is an amazing product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.