Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sea Strainer recommendations.... >

Sea Strainer recommendations....

Notices

Sea Strainer recommendations....

Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sea Strainer recommendations....

Well after my overheating problems with the seaweed, im thinking a sea strainer wouldnt be a bad option.

Is there any recommendations for my setup?

94 Baja 272 w/ 330hp Merc 454 and Bravo drive.

Thanks!

Pros and cons of different models would be great, as I have never used a strainer before.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I have Marine Machine strainers - they seem to be a REAL nice piece....
Attached Thumbnails Sea Strainer recommendations....-new-engines.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I have Marine Machine strainers - they seem to be a REAL nice piece....
Are those the ones with the aluminum tops and the stainless can? If so have you had any issues with the tops galling?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
STAINLESS MARINE ,,,,, nothing else ,,TOP OF THE LINE !!!!!!!!!!
agreed.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Are those the ones with the aluminum tops and the stainless can? If so have you had any issues with the tops galling?
Yes - mine appear to have coated aluminum tops and the Stainless cans.

I haven't had any problems with them at all - look brand new.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Get something you don't need a tool to open. I got those for the MTI...

Hardin marine bought them through Keith Eickert Marine

http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=8918
Attached Thumbnails Sea Strainer recommendations....-sumpnstrain2.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boat was built with Marine Machine strainers. They are very solidly built units and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. My years of experience with them tells me that it is critical to use a lot of anti-seize on the lids to prevent them from seizing up given that the buckets are Stainless and the lids are Aluminum. There have been threads here with some ugly pics of lids needing to be cut off. I had to cut mine off about 3-4 years ago. I had the lids off to clean them out and wiped off what I felt to be excess anti-sieze off the threads. Then I hosed down the bilge to clean it. The open spaces between the vanes on the lids trapped water which seeped down the threads and they seized up. Had to remove them which was awful in my boat and used a die grinder to carefully make two cuts in the edges of the lids to get them off. No problems since because I make darn sure I goop them up real good. This was entirely my fault. For what its worth....
Old 06-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GLH
Get something you don't need a tool to open.
Good Point - that is one drawback to mine is that you need an open end wrench to get them off.

Originally Posted by Lmarth
My boat was built with Marine Machine strainers. They are very solidly built units and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. My years of experience with them tells me that it is critical to use a lot of anti-seize on the lids to prevent them from seizing up given that the buckets are Stainless and the lids are Aluminum. There have been threads here with some ugly pics of lids needing to be cut off. I had to cut mine off about 3-4 years ago. I had the lids off to clean them out and wiped off what I felt to be excess anti-sieze off the threads. Then I hosed down the bilge to clean it. The open spaces between the vanes on the lids trapped water which seeped down the threads and they seized up. Had to remove them which was awful in my boat and used a die grinder to carefully make two cuts in the edges of the lids to get them off. No problems since because I make darn sure I goop them up real good. This was entirely my fault. For what its worth....
Thanks - I am going to put some antiseize on mine next time I take the cover off.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Registered

Default Im happy with the livorsi unit as well.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/sea_strainers.htm

Very happy with my Livorsi sea strainer.

Definitely get one you dont need tools to open.

Chasing sockets and wing nuts in a dirty bilge is a bummer when your trying to get back underway.

Cant imagine boating without a sea strainer anywhere- there is so much crap everywhere these days. Lakes, ocean kelp beds it all ends up in there.

Uncle Dave
Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/sea_strainers.htm

Very happy with my Livorsi sea strainer.

Definitely get one you dont need tools to open.

Chasing sockets and wing nuts in a dirty bilge is a bummer when your trying to get back underway.

Cant imagine boating without a sea strainer anywhere- there is so much crap everywhere these days. Lakes, ocean kelp beds it all ends up in there.

Uncle Dave

Oh yeah- I also like the fact that the the nut, lid, and strainer basket all come off as one piece ( you can separate them later if you want) but its a quick process with no small parts to lose.

Get an integrated flush out so you can screw the hose right into the boat, it will help dramatically with flushing and keep the impellers running longer-

Make damm sure you keep the length between the strainer and teh impeller as short as possible- too much length and youll lose impellers left and right.

Uncle Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.