Notices

marine surveyor??s

Old 12-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marine surveyor??s

what does a marine surveyor do when you contact him about looking at a boat?will he take the boat out and run/test it?will he do a comppresson test on the motors?i am looking at a few boats,all out of state.never bought a boat out of state or off of the net.what do you guys think?thanks,brad
Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
jfm
Registered

Just went threw it with a boat in Michigan and the answer is yes to all the above. The guy I had was excellent and I would recommend him to anyone. Picked up on the smallest of details and when finished sent me out a book of photos and write ups of the survey. Worth every dollar.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best money youll ever spend..
Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

How much would a good survey cost?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Registered

Some surveyors do just hull, including structural and equipment inspection, and some do both hull and engine. You'll have to research and then ask some questions, ask them for a sample report, check their references, check websites etc.

In my recent experience, while searching for a surveyor, I have found most charge per foot after 20' or 25', and you need to inquire if that price includes sea trial and/or engine diags. or maybe neither?! Prices start at $15-$20 per foot and go up in rate $1 or $2per foot as the boat size increases.

It is pretty much an unregulated industry, at least here in Northeast, so take that for what it's worth. Everyone I have spoken to has been very knowledgeable and professional and it was just a matter of my comfort level with them and confidence with their experience. Lastly, but not what I necessarily based my decision on, was the price. The guy I chose actually ended up being the most expensive, but I also feel he is the most competent and provided the entire range of services I needed.

Last edited by NJgr8ful; 12-01-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

what would be a general price range for a 35ft fountain,sea run and all?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
what would be a general price range for a 35ft fountain,sea run and all?
Probably $15-20 a foot. Some do complete mechanicals and some don't.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some surveys are done for your own personal knowledge and others are done at the request of your insurance co. Check with your insurance co as to which type of survey they require. There are several types of surveys each requiring different levels of inspection. Make sure that you get the one you need as well as what you want or you may have to pay for a second survey to meet your insurance co's requirements. Still will be the best money ever spent. You never know whats under all that glass.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered

My surveyor charged $X (can't remember) per square foot, I think $100/engine compression test, and I believe $150 to sea trial.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jfm
Just went threw it with a boat in Michigan and the answer is yes to all the above. The guy I had was excellent and I would recommend him to anyone. Picked up on the smallest of details and when finished sent me out a book of photos and write ups of the survey. Worth every dollar.
Dennis Biell by any chance? Had one done and well worth the $$$

most surveyors will test to what ever limit you want but it will effect the end cost. You can request a basic survey or a complete that includes sea trial and compression tests. The basic i hade done was around five hundred on a thirty four foot boat. Glad i had it done.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.