Notices

baby on board

Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Had my son out at 6 weeks old. plenty old. My daughter was a bit older because I was boatless at the time.

The biggest thing to worry about is the heat. I take the life jackets off of them if we are going slow and it is very hot. I did it even with the smaller Donzi when it was technically illegal, although the boat cops around here never stopped me because it was understandable. In FL it is legal for kids to not wear jackets if the boat is over 26 feet.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I had my daughter out when she was 7 months.. The only reason we waited is because he was born in mid-October and the boat was already out of the water.... We're safe and sensible.... I agree about the heat, that was the biggest concern of all!

We boated the whole summer while she was pregnant. I didn't travel the ocean with her so we basically ran up and down the rivers and out into the bay. On Saturdays it was my day and I would make ocean runs with my buddies and on Sunday's I spent the day with my wife.

We have a 2nd baby one on the way, due in April (find out the sex tomorrow).... I'm not nervous about taking the kid out on the boat, that's easy, I am nervous about having a 2 1/2 year old running around with a new born in my wifes arm while I'm driving the boat and controling the 2 1/2 yr old.

I bet we'll have some stories to share and I'm sure it'll be a handfull but I wont let it stop us!!! Worse case scenario I'll grab my sister or have grandma watch the newborn while we go out on the boat with my daughter

As for myself, I was on my parents boat at only a few weeks old, we were a total of 3 kids.

Last edited by Panther; 12-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I had my daughter out when she was 7 months.. The only reason we waited is because he was born in mid-October and the boat was already out of the water.... We're safe and sensible.... I agree about the heat, that was the biggest concern of all!

We boated the whole summer while she was pregnant. I didn't travel the ocean with her so we basically ran up and down the rivers and out into the bay. On Saturdays it was my day and I would make ocean runs with my buddies and on Sunday's I spent the day with my wife.

We have a 2nd baby one on the way, due in April (find out the sex tomorrow).... I'm not nervous about taking the kid out on the boat, that's easy, I am nervous about having a 2 1/2 year old running around with a new born in my wifes arm while I'm driving the boat and controling the 2 1/2 yr old.

I bet we'll have some stories to share and I'm sure it'll be a handfull but I wont let it stop us!!! Worse case scenario I'll grab my sister or have grandma watch the newborn while we go out on the boat with my daughter

As for myself, I was on my parents boat at only a few weeks old, we were a total of 3 kids.
Congrats on the baby Frank!

Ours is 3 months now and she'll be boating in the spring.

Wife was boating pregnant all summer long.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Sean and congrats to you as well!!! Let's do lunch.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther

Congrats. you'll be in the same situation I was/am in. 2.5 is a tough age... I found that it was better to ask friends out. more entertainment. We also found that it was easiest to take the infant carrier seat with us. good for a place to sit/sleep and has the built in cover.

We did it in a Donzi classic at the beginning of this summer and really didn't have enough room... so we upped it to a Donzi ZXO the day after Father's day. thank God for the Mid cabin... shady and plenty of air flow.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

5 days old on the houseboat, 2 weeks old for her first boat ride, nothing crazy just use good judgement and watch the heat.. we had a mild August/ Sept here so it wasnt bad in the shade and we didnt over do it... wife did fine prego all summer we were on the boat the weekend before the baby was born..... just didnt get to rough/ fast with it, and she sat out the poker runs, rocked the bikini all summer though she;s a trooper