Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Banks Engine At PRI Show (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/221086-banks-engine-pri-show.html)

Strip Poker 388 12-10-2009 02:50 PM

What would the difference between a blower gas vs turbo diesel in engine temps and Exhaust temps. Testing at full load[wfo] or steady state pull on the dyno,which one would have a higher temps???? Or would it be a issue?

Thanks
Rob

goof2 12-10-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3003906)
I agree. I should have more clear that when I said putting 2 - 850's in my boat would do the job, I was referring to one of these phantom super duper lightweight diesel engines that we all dream of but do not exist yet.

Bob

That is my fault for not making it clear I was joking. I was laughing at the thought of a couple Cats or Mans sticking out the back of a performance boat. I knew you were talking about these, as you said best, phantom diesels that add fuel to your tank as you run them, run for thousands of hours without a rebuild, and weigh so little you will have trouble keeping your props in the water.

Cat & Mice 12-10-2009 06:08 PM

Wasn't Bob at Eliminator working with Audi to get a high performance diesel based on the race motor from the R10 TDI into a boat? I remember talking to Bob about it awhile ago, he was really excited and had just got back from a trip out to Audi I just don't know if anything happened with it. I know he built the one big V with diesel but not sure it got the Audio racing motor.

Anyone know more about that?

MP

Catmando 12-10-2009 06:20 PM

650hp inline 6 diesel;

http://www.buckdiesel.com/index.php?Section=Products

HabanaJoe 12-10-2009 07:10 PM

the Buck engine is years away, the guy from Buck is on here sometimes, nice guy but the product is far from being available the last time he was on here or even remotely making the Hp/cui a old truck Mack engine could make!

I have to ask a question, why are many of you on here holding on to these half-baked attempts to build what would be a commerical disaster of a diesel project?

What is the fasination with an engine that will be bigger problems than any gas engine you could have in your boat today - why?

stainless 12-10-2009 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cat & Mice (Post 3004059)
Wasn't Bob at Eliminator working with Audi to get a high performance diesel based on the race motor from the R10 TDI into a boat? I remember talking to Bob about it awhile ago, he was really excited and had just got back from a trip out to Audi I just don't know if anything happened with it. I know he built the one big V with diesel but not sure it got the Audio racing motor.

Anyone know more about that?

MP

Went for a ride in that boat at last years Ft. Lauderdale show, it had a cummins/nxt power package

Uncle Dave 12-10-2009 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3004093)
the Buck engine is years away, the guy from Buck is on here sometimes, nice guy but the product is far from being available the last time he was on here or even remotely making the Hp/cui a old truck Mack engine could make!

I have to ask a question, why are many of you on here holding on to these half-baked attempts to build what would be a commerical disaster of a diesel project?

What is the fasination with an engine that will be bigger problems than any gas engine you could have in your boat today - why?

The buck is also HUGE and likely wont fit in a space designed for a BBC.

The banks duramax derivative - if it ever ships would be phenomenal.

Ray is correct Banks has the resources and R&D to make it happen on a reliable affordable fashion....

The fascination? Great power, fantastic mileage, great MTBO, every marina has diesel not every marina has 91/2 which high per engines need.

Uncle Dave

Cat & Mice 12-10-2009 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by stainless (Post 3004105)
Went for a ride in that boat at last years Ft. Lauderdale show, it had a cummins/nxt power package

That's what I thought. So anyone know what happened to the Eliminator Audi deal?

MP

HabanaJoe 12-10-2009 09:02 PM

Uncle Dave,

After you've had that Banks engine in boat you'll be begging for your gas engine back!

I agree Banks has knowledge how to build racing product as do his gas counterparts on this board. BUT, and I use capitals when you take that much Hp out of the little V-8 and with that hardware on there your MTBO will be in the hundreds of hours not thousands. Your fuel effeicentcy will not be .33 but more like a .39 or even .4 which will hurt the mpg.

Power at what price - you'll defeat every reason to have a diesel.

Why is Sterling or JC not taking a Cummins or a CAT and hot rodding them, it's very easy and all the marine parts are there already properly engineered and able to be sourced on a global scale.

Let me ask another question because I love to debate things - How many Gale Banks marine dealers are there today? (you know I driving at the fact that there will be no where on the planet to buy parts from and dealers when they find them won't stock even simple parts or have knowledge to work on them)

I remember talking with Hawk years ago about them branding our diesels and I remember how it went - they asked us about warranty, parts and where to service? I asked them the same question about there engines and the answers were for both pull the engine and ship back or bring the boat back to us for major things!

That is why engines like Banks in the marine world don't fly on a large scale - people like Bob the Builder buy brand name diesels because on the rare times they break, there is a large dealer network to service them. I bet you if Bob had diesels that last 800 hrs MTBO and whenever they had a problem had to fly someone in, or take the boat 800 miles to fix it or pull the engines and ship them to CA he would rip them out and put gas engines in!

Now it is fun to dream and hope and the Duramax is very cool and Banks is a good showman just like Reggie, but I'd put more money on Reggie to deliver a "real" cat killer than I would Banks to make a commerically viable 600hp- 1000hp Duramax.

Did I just say put more faith in Reggie? - that's scary:eek:

Raylar 12-11-2009 12:10 AM

Lets discuss the done and can do stuff!

Habana Joe keeps hitting the nail on the head!
When will we have a moderate cost, moderate weight, 600-800HP marine performance diesel and drive package - "When pigs Fly"!

Why do performance boaters get so intrigued with sometimes "over the top stuff"! Its because sometimes they are a little bored, locked down with winter weather and just generally want to split hairs and banter (bench race)over stuff in general. Its not unhealthy or unlikely , but it is generally worthless to the marine performance hobby and market.
What we should probably be discussing is how to save this sport and industry!
There are a lot of smart, knowlegeable, innovative and concerned individuals just here on this forum!
People , we need to spend more time end effort on these forums helping ourselves with some of the following:
1. Work to keep Big Government, bureacrats, politicians and Nimbys from legislating this sport and industry out of existence! You think they are not trying, inform and educate yourself and you will see they are working much harder at it than we are working to stop them!!
2. Lets work to promote better ethics in our industry and run the flakes and crooks out of this industry and sport that help tarnish its reputation. This goes for individuals too, who sell crap and junk to their fellow performance boaters
with the almost crimminal idea that what buyer don't know or find out right away won't hurt them!
Good people and individuals love sports and sports pastimes where your word is your bond!
3. Lets all do what we can to support the people, organizations and companies who support and promote this sport and industry, and stop blasting companies and individuals who try hard and are sometimes not successful!
4. We have to stop some of this "pie in the sky" and the "shouda, coulda, wouda" and concentrate more on preserving this sport, cause guys its slipping away and disapearing right before your eyes and when its gone a lot of you will cry like babies about how great it used to be!!
I hate to sound like a doomsday'r or preacher, but I gotta keep beat'in the drum until some more people wake up on this and other forums and get this sport and industry back healthy and growing again!
I hate to work alone!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar