Notices

Jesel Rocker Shafts

Old 12-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your push rods will not work,the shaft rokers have to be set up with the correct center over the valve stem.If the engine is on the stand not to bad in the boat is a bit*H.
To set them up right you should remove each valve spring and check the geometry shaft center line to valve CL.
The chances that you wont have to grind on the head when there closed is slim. The push rod is closes to the head when the valve is close. My Big M darts work fine with no stand machine work but did have to grind in a few places to free the push rods.
Not trying to scare you away from them but warning of the install..
Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hot.. I do appreciate the incite...

I did ask Jesel tech support this AM about the install.. They were rather adamant that the shafts were a complete “bolt” on application.. No head modification what-so-ever..
They did say the pushrods will need to be shorter.. but not sure how much.. need to measure (of course)..

I might pull the trigger anyway.. I could always try the #1 cyl and see how it goes.. if it looks easy and smooth I can continue.. if the #1 cyl seems to be giving me a problem, just put my original stud back in and put new nuts on the rockers.. Perhaps replace the damaged rocker.. Keep the rocker shaft until winter next year when I pull the motor for a re-fresh..
Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
Thanks Hot.. I do appreciate the incite...

I did ask Jesel tech support this AM about the install.. They were rather adamant that the shafts were a complete “bolt” on application.. No head modification what-so-ever..
They did say the pushrods will need to be shorter.. but not sure how much.. need to measure (of course)..

I might pull the trigger anyway.. I could always try the #1 cyl and see how it goes.. if it looks easy and smooth I can continue.. if the #1 cyl seems to be giving me a problem, just put my original stud back in and put new nuts on the rockers.. Perhaps replace the damaged rocker.. Keep the rocker shaft until winter next year when I pull the motor for a re-fresh..
Shaft rockers are a great upgrade,,well worth the time to install.Your valve guides will live alot longer.
They send a simple tool for set up. Just make sure you check every push rod for clearance.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered

Thanks Hot..

I think I am going to grab a new upgraded set of Scorpion rockers. (that is what is on now, and they have served me well for 5 years without fail).

I am up for the challange of a shaft rocker system, but perhaps it is wise to wait till the motor is out. I can just skip the girdles this time around.. The motor is not run hard and has a mild cam. 2 more seasons.. then I can opt for the expensve and "better" choice.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Registered

Just my ap. i would not put Scorpions on my lawnmore i have had and seen them fail. I like the comp stainless if you are not going to use shaft. What everyone said, i would not try to put shaft on in the boat to much of a pain . i bet i had 10 hrs in getting mine right but i run a solid roller and when i check my valves they are never out . The one time i had one out i had a lifter fixing to go away i replaced the lifters.

Last edited by mikes280; 12-18-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Registered

thanks Mike..The advice here has been wonderful..

Since Canfield is out of business and these are only 310 heads making an investment into a Jesel setup just because they are on sale is not the best idea.. I am sure when I do a rebuild I will switch heads..

My Scorpion rockers have done me well.. The issue I am having is certainly their fault.. But remember.. I have a baby cam.. 570 lift and 230 @50 dur..

I think though I might run a 1.8 ratio on the intake.. Just to give it a try.. and switch all the intake rockers..