Notices

Mercury's Turbo Engines

Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Platinum ( Vern Gilberts )
any pics of the lower units/drive on that boat? I saw some a while ago, and can't find them again. They had lengthened skegs and cut off cavitation plates.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have a bad taste with turbo lag I had with a car engine. I am told the turbos are much better now. In and out of the throttle in big water would be a problem with any kind of lag even slight. The next response will be they have the lag sorted out. How can you have zero lag when you are off the throttle and killing the exhaust in a wave hop? You need to spool up the engine to get boost. A roots or Whipple has instant response. Hair dryer style superchargers are another blower I do not like. Take too long to spool up. I remain skeptical.

Maybe VG turbos are the answer?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a bad taste with turbo lag I had with a car engine. I am told the turbos are much better now. In and out of the throttle in big water would be a problem with any kind of lag even slight. The next response will be they have the lag sorted out. How can you have zero lag when you are off the throttle and killing the exhaust in a wave hop? You need to spool up the engine to get boost. A roots or Whipple has instant response. Hair dryer style superchargers are another blower I do not like. Take too long to spool up. I remain skeptical.
I know my boat isn't consider to be a big boat, but it's not really that small either. It weighs about 6500 lbs. and although it has a #6 the prop is buried which means that we need to make good power at low rpms. The engine makes boost at under 1800 rpms. The throttle response is instantaneous with absolutely no lag.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Properly sized twins should not have lag, but they are much more complex, requiring custom headers, custom cooling and an engine fed oiling system. I would rather have a 572 with a 8.3L Whipple for cost and simplicity any day.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aTX427
Properly sized twins should not have lag, but they are much more complex, requiring custom headers, custom cooling and an engine fed oiling system. I would rather have a 572 with a 8.3L Whipple for cost and simplicity any day.
x2 ... except I would rather it be a 598 with a 8.3L Whipple.

Chris
Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those engines did not work very well at all. No torque and engines kept breaking. My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.
Brad People are always .scared of what they dont understand Ive been running turbos for years in a small boat like a Superboat 30 twin engine. Oh I forgot SUPERBOAT not a offshore boat
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

We built soem turbo motors a while back...biggest problem is getting on plane...no balls. Nothing accelorates quite like a whipple anyway
Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Maybe VG turbos are the answer?
There´s other ways around it too...

Just look at road racing cars..they gotta have throttle response too ..and instantly.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
x2 ... except I would rather it be a 598 with a 8.3L Whipple.
Yes

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Nothing accelorates quite like a whipple anyway
And yes.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Turbo's

Most of the efficiency come's from the lack of hp loss driving the blower. On a 900 hp blower motor it takes over 175 hp to turn the blower at 100% HP. The motor really has to make 1100 hp to see 900 at the crank. Turbo motors have very little parasitic loss so you see all the HP at the crank. Exaust temps on turbo gas motors are way harder to control at 100% HP. Blowers are more consistent. With all the new computer controls on engines these days I would think that a reliable production marine gas turbo 700+hp engine would be around the corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.