Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury's Turbo Engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/221481-mercurys-turbo-engines.html)

flat rate 12-17-2009 10:04 PM

Mercury's Turbo Engines

Anyone know any inside info on the new turbo engines mercury is building I hear the blower motors are on ther way out. Miami?

Raylar 12-17-2009 11:13 PM

Turbos Hmmm?

Interesting question. I've heard nothing, but I am not in their loop.
Turbos may be the new future as they are more efficient than blowers, and they help tone down the exhaust noise to help meet the new db standards.
We are working on a turbo kit package for 496's, but it won't be ready for Miami.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

vette131 12-18-2009 07:08 AM

top secret!!

Wildman_grafix 12-18-2009 07:33 AM

How do you get rid of engine bay heat when you use turbo's?

BDARCHER 12-18-2009 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3007785)
How do you get rid of engine bay heat when you use turbo's?

Water cooled eXuast housing. Water cooled these myself 17 yrs ago. It gets hotter in my BT with 500 than the twin turboed 350s in the cramped Superboat 30. It can still make 18 pounds of boost with water cooled Ex, and still dump ex in wastegate. Dont know why every ones not running Turbos. They idle like grandmas car and run like a raped ape. Id turbo the 46 BT but it would twist the XRs of the back. Bobby

cigrocket 12-18-2009 08:17 AM

Just look at what Tommy at Chief Engines has been doing the past few years. Turbos obviously work. Huge, reliable horsepower. Mercury is seeing the results and wants in on the game.

cougarman 12-18-2009 08:42 AM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by flat rate (Post 3007713)
Anyone know any inside info on the new turbo engines mercury is building I hear the blower motors are on ther way out. Miami?

So Mercury is getting on board eh ?:eek:

They have come a long way, here are some Picture's of Tom Earharts. NOTE: the Boost selection :drink:

Jon

Wildman_grafix 12-18-2009 08:58 AM

You know Cougerman, I seen the water cool housing in another thread after I posted. Did the motor loose any boost compared to not cooling?

Isn't Keith Eickert working on turbo marine motors also?

check300 12-18-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3007815)
You know Cougerman, I seen the water cool housing in another thread after I posted. Did the motor loose any boost compared to not cooling?

This is the engine that's in my boat. It did not loose any boost. The last testing that was done a week or so before thanksgiving, the ecu was holding boost at a programmed 24 lbs. The turbos will go to 30 but I don't think we need that much.

cougarman 12-18-2009 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3007815)

Too add to Check300's answer,...........the water jacket's are not touch the turbo's and pulling heat away from them.
They are just a water jacketed shield.

Talked with Carson Brummett a few years ago, he Builds and Sells the old gentry turbo package's.......Same stuff Chief engines uses. Anyways he uses a truely water jaketed turbo and says you lose about 50 hp. as soon as you run water through it.

Eickert did some engines with Vortech Superchargers. ... the belt-driven centrifugal super chargers which are similar to turbo chargers.

Thanks
Jon