Like Tree0Likes

GM ends big block production permanently. End of Mercruiser big blocks, too.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

Doesn't Merlin and Dart cast those same blocks anyway, it's been a while since I have seen on cast by GM build up by the big boys.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Registered

Yes, Dart and World Products (makers of the Merlin block) do cast their own blocks. They are externally the same as the old Mk IV GM big blocks. However, internally, they are much beefier. Pretty much that is the reason that you don't see many builders like myself using a GM block. There is nothing wrong with the GM blocks as long as you don't try to make 1400 hp with one. They are great for up to about 900 hp reliably. The Darts and Merlins weigh approx. 75 lbs more than a Gen VI 502 block. That is 75 lbs more cast iron. If you think about it....GM saves 75 lbs of cast iron for every block they cast. The 502 block weighs about 225 lbs. So, every third block is free material. Since they are only making about 500+/- hp, the block is more than sufficient. Dart and Merlin blocks are specialty items that are a low volume seller. They can get damn near whatever they want for money, so a little more cast iron is not a big deal. They are strictly after strength.
Eddie
Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 34 Sea Ray

Does that mean GM will end production of "CRATE" engines also??
Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 28 Cigarette SS Race Edition
Default Crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake View Post
I don't believe so. I believe, and let me stress that this is what I BELIEVE, it is the end of the 496 truck engine and block. This was announced a long time ago. They just re-engineered the replacement 454 block to accept both GEN IV and GEN VI heads. In fact, we had one delivered last week.

GM Performance 19170538 - GM Performance 454 C.I.D. Bare Engine Blocks.

So IMHO it is the end of the GM 496 production but they still make a number of other engines, including the 454/425 crate engines.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake View Post
I would be surprised if they would discontinue them. They are big money makers for GM. They are selling more crate engines then ever before, so they would really be shooting themselves in the foot.
Eddie
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Registered

My Boats: Velocity 2008 290 600 SCI , whipple stage 2 kit. Sea Ray 1989 Sorrento S-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Performance View Post
I would be surprised if they would discontinue them. They are big money makers for GM. They are selling more crate engines then ever before, so they would really be shooting themselves in the foot.
Eddie
Rember its not GM anymore its Goverment Motors now Just look how they good they are with taxpayers money. WORTHLESS???
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Registered

V8 big blocks is one of the things that comes to my mind when I think of America , being a powerboating fan. SO yes it is sad and something should be done. Another +ve thing down the ****in' drain.....
Old 12-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcrafted View Post
Rember its not GM anymore its Goverment Motors now Just look how they good they are with taxpayers money. WORTHLESS???
Now you're not insinuating that our wonderful government would screw up a good thing, huh???
Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 34 Sea Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Performance View Post
Eddie
Exactly. I couldn't imagine them killing a cash cow as good as the Crate engine line.
Thanks all for the response.