Notices

Stepped vs Deep V

Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stepped vs Deep V

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have a few questions regarding stepped hulls and was hoping the offshore racers might be able to offer a different perspective from my fishing forum.

I have the option of a stepped hull on a 31 foot CC offshore fishing boat or a conventional V. I fish off the coast of South Carolina, and usually encounter 3 foot seas. I run to the gulf, approx 50 miles each way, and want a faster ride.

The advantages of a stepped hull, as I am told, are faster ride and increased fuel efficiency at cruising speed. The V hull tops out at 65 mph with twin 350 Yahama 4 stroke outboards. The stepped hull, I am told, can do the same with twin 250 Yamaha 4 stroke outboards. They are on hull number 3 of the stepped hull, and have yet to power one with twin 350 Yamahas.

So what are the compromises, if any, of a stepped hull? How different is the ride? Are they hard to handle? Do they track well? How about slow speed handling (no wake zones might compare to trolling in the ocean).? Are stepped hulls better in lakes versus ocean? Do they spin end over end if I turn the wheel after hitting a wave?

Thank you,
Jason
Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the beam? Is the length inclusive of an integrated engine bracket?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Registered

Default Specs of Deep V

Length 32-7
Beam 9-8
Weight loaded 11,560lbs, dry 5850
Draft 23 inches
Deep V 24.5 degrees

http://www.contenderfishingboats.com/boats.aspx?id=454

I am led to believe the stepped hull has identical dimensions - with a $6K higher price tag.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-29-2009, 08:56 AM
RHC
Registered

I can tell you from experiance that a 30' boat with two big heavy 4 stroke's hanging off the back will be a single purpose boat , it might be fast, but the trade off is not worth it , make the company build it first and run it in all types of water before you committ , because once you own it , it,s yours !!!

RHC
Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

intrepid r stepped
dusky stepped
yellowfin stepped
ect
ect

go with yellowfin!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should take a look at the Renegades also. These boats are built well and rigged well. Handle the ocean well also. Great people to deal with. You have a choice of stepped or non stepped hulls and they will sea trial you in both. Latest model is a 38 Footer, You will also have quite a bit of coin leftover versus the contender to put in your fuel tank.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered

But what are the compromises, if any, of a stepped hull? More dangerous? Harder to troll with?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jrmdjr
But what are the compromises, if any, of a stepped hull? More dangerous? Harder to troll with?

Thanks,
Jason
The stepped is only going to help you in the flat water of the ICW, I live north of Myrtle Beach and run the ICW to L.R inlet out to the ocean all the time, you can spin a stepped boat out at lower speeds in low trim settings in turns. Trolling no difference. The chop of the ocean is going to make up for no steps. We only have a few days out there that the ocean is lake flat, without the s.e. winds.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
You should take a look at the Renegades also. These boats are built well and rigged well. Handle the ocean well also. Great people to deal with. You have a choice of stepped or non stepped hulls and they will sea trial you in both. Latest model is a 38 Footer, You will also have quite a bit of coin leftover versus the contender to put in your fuel tank.
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD DEAL, YOU CAN TEST BOTH and compare to the other boats you are looking at. test rides help a lot. thats what I did and bought the boat a year later 24 OL, 8' x 24' and have owned it for 19 years and very happy with the way it handled, compared to other 24 to 27 foot hulls with singles i/o. now looks like I am going up a few feet to a 28 or 30 single. ps UP HERE ON THE CAPE THE 8' BEAM handles better than my friends 7' beam 24footer. I have been in both lots of times plus the freeboard helps he stays around the bay close to home were we have gone to the islands nantucket and MV also block island and long island. he takes the ferry.but its time to move up a few feet for me after 19 yrs. art

Last edited by AIR TIME; 08-29-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do Not Even Think About A Renegade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.