Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/22184-need-oso-opinion-couple-trucks-im-considering.html)

Waterfoul 04-13-2002 05:23 PM

Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering...

After the debacle last week, I've once again started looking for a used truck to replace my aging (and HIGH mileage) Dodge half ton.

1998 Chevy Silverado LE 1500 ext. cab, 5.7 Vortec, 4x4, dark blue, dura liner bed liner, taneau cover, decent tires, tow package, 73,800 miles, $15,600 (after dickering with him from $15,999) Fuel pump seemed kinda noisy to me, even for a GM vehicle.

1999 Dodge 1500 SLT, 5.9 Magnum, 4x4, dark green (kinda different and interesting color), quad cab, spray on bed liner, new tires, tow package, 80,000 miles, $15,000 and I have not dickered with him yet (salesman goes to my old church and I know him pretty well). Oh, and he ownes the dealership.

I know these trucks have some miles, but I am finding that is all I can afford without going to and older truck with fewer miles (which are often the same money). My truck currently has 172,000+ miles on it, so I kinda lean towards the Dodge.

If you were to have to choose between these two vehicles, which would you choose. Try to keep the chevy/dodge war comments to yourself please.:D

Thanks fellas (and you ladies too).

Shane 04-13-2002 06:44 PM

Hey Foul,

I have always onwed Chevy's and just got rid of my SUPER HIGH MILEAGE Chevy for a new one and it always ran and towed like a champ! Best of luck to you on the next go around.

Shane

Jassman 04-13-2002 07:33 PM

We have all of them in the construction yard. The Chevy has 255hp and 330 tq the Dodge has 245 and 315, but for some reason the Chevy feels much stronger when towing. I like the fact for maybe a 1k less you can get a newer vehicle (DODGE). We just have had less problems w/Chevys, 281,000 on a 1997, same vehicle you are looking at. Orig. motor but 2nd tranny. We tow between 6-10,000 with both the chevy and dodge. Buy which ever one is cleaner, you have had good luck with Dodge, work the guy on the price, good luck to ya.:D

Gordo 04-13-2002 08:51 PM

No Comparrison

Mike, dude, Buy the GM and don't look back.
My old 95 GMC just turned 211,000 miles this weekend and still runs strong as ever. Easy to work on, parts are cheap.

Biggus 04-13-2002 08:54 PM

Fowl, if I were you I`d find a nice low milage F-350 FORD to do the job:D

I`ve owned Ford 350`s since 1988 and I am very happy with thier trucks but it`s CHEVY POWER for the boats!!!!

Kurt.

Playn 04-13-2002 08:57 PM

Mike, I just gotta go with the Chevy

Waterfoul 04-13-2002 09:10 PM

Thanks guys. Weighing the trucks against eachother is hard. I like both. I will agree that the Chevy feels stronger going down the road. But the dodge is newer and I like the interior better. 6 of one, half dozen of the other........ The dodge would be easier for me to finance, and actually be less $$ a month. Decisions, decisions....

I'm so confused!!!!!

nebulous 04-13-2002 10:07 PM

Hey Waterfoul, Seems to me you anwsered your own deliema. Go with the Dodge, You like your old one, The interior, Less $$, easier to finance. You just like postin':p

Waterfoul 04-13-2002 10:10 PM

Dang....you figured me out.:D

car54driver 04-13-2002 10:14 PM

Everybody makes lemons and everybody makes good ones. I've never had a bad Mopar so the choice would be clear for me. It’s all about which one you like.

bowtie 04-13-2002 10:27 PM

I agree with car54 everyone makes lemons and they all make good trucks too. I like the Chevy's because you can put a lot of miles on them without a lot of maintenance. But I love my F250 powerstroke. My only Dodge was an old power wagon that just wouldn't die.

Sunsation 32 04-14-2002 12:29 AM

The price sounds kind of high. My father in-law bought a 95 extra cab Z-71 last year with 124,000 miles on it. He paid $12,000 and it was super clean and in excellent cond. It now has 175,000 miles on it and still runs great. It has a 6.5 deisel also.
I live in western NC and we have a classified paper called the IWANNA. They have a webb site, I think its Iwannna.com. You might can use it to compare prices.

candyman35 04-14-2002 01:50 AM

Waterfoul,
If it were between those two I would go with the Chevy mainly because some Dodge's were eating transmissions. If you go with the Dodge have someone run the VIN number to see the history on it. I agree that those prices seem high for that kind of mileage. I know you want to keep the price down but did you see what a new one would cost. I think Dodge has a back up of there half tons. We had such a mild winter no one bought any new snow plow trucks. One dealer by me has about 25 of the old style Dodge's on the lot. There could be some incentives and the payments might not be that bad. If you want I could stop in the dealer and see if they have anything going.

A friend of mine bought three extended cab 4X4's last year and paid around 23,000.00 and they gave him a good interest rate. The dealer only sells snowplow trucks.

Dan

Madcow 04-14-2002 08:08 AM

A couple of years ago a couple of builder friends of mine each bought a new Dodge truck at the same time (They got a deal) Within a year they both went back to GMs. Look around your town at what all the tradesmen use. These are guys who need their truck for a living. You don't see many Dodge commershal vehicles around

JIMKID Motorsports 04-14-2002 08:55 AM

gm or dodge

hay guys i own a auto repair garage solid gm guy the repairs on the dodges always way more exspensive than the gms i now have a 2001 gmc 2500 hd crew cab 6000 motor and just love it towed my 34 ft magic no problem just my 3 cents worth good luck:D :D :D :D

brakeless 04-14-2002 09:57 AM

If you buy a Dodge, your'e buying it for looks not strength or durability. I did once and learned from my mistake. The Dodges are light duty trucks good for 30,000 miles.

I have F250 Diesel and pull 8,000 lbs just fine. Good luck if you buy Dodge, you'll need it.

BadDog 04-14-2002 10:04 AM

Foul,
If you are doing long distance towing check with a tranny shop on the particulars of each. Trannies always seem to be the weak link. The 4L60e in the Chevy can be beefed up a some.
Tim T.

obnoxus 04-14-2002 10:56 AM

Mike,,, just beware that Dodge is a very thirsty truck for what it is. Everyone I know complaines about there poor mileage, even Dodge agrees.

If the Chevy is low on fuel the pump gets noisy, have them fill the tank then check it. Personally I am a GM guy so I lean that way. I see 200,000 mile Gm's all the time, Dodge eats valve trains plus all the trans problems.

Just opinion and preference though,,, It's your money and you have to drive it!!!! Get what you prefer and deal with the maintenance issus later as they arrise.

Mr Gadgets 04-14-2002 10:59 AM

Mike,
My son just told me they are selling the shop truck..a 97 3/4ton Chevy..with tow package, not extended cab. I think low miles.. I will ask him if you are interested.. he was talking about $11,500 I think. Not sure what condition it is in, I have not seen it for some time. It towed my 28' to hardy without any troubles.. The double pic of my boat and motor also has the truck attached to the front of the trailer..
Email me or call me if you want more info.. I will be home today, heading back to BC in the morning..

Dick

Madcow 04-14-2002 11:28 AM

My GMCs fuel pump is loud to. Always been that way (80,000 miles). I wouldn't worry about it. Its a high presure injection system.

Audiofn 04-14-2002 11:33 AM

Hey Mike for me it is plain and simple. Go with the Dodge. For one you have one and you like it. You will be even happier with this one as it is newer and it has the larger cab!!!! YOu have no idea how much nicer it is to have the larger cab untill you start to drive it for a bit then get into a regular cab truck. If he is asking 15000 before bikkering then you should be able to get him way down. What is trade in on that truck? You should be able to get at leaste that for a price. The dealership was asking 38,000 for my truck and I paid 28,000. So the used market is real soft still and you have all the power. Get the truck that is going to be easiest for you to pay for. You do not want to regret buying the damn thing after because it is hard to make the payments.

Jon

26scarab 04-14-2002 08:58 PM

Mike ,
I would wait a while, deals will come along. Bot those trucks sound nice put a little high. Drive yours as long as you can and keep shopping. For that kind of money you could buy a little older (96-97) 2500 /Cummins and you would be WAY better off.
Just my opinion.:)

formula1 04-14-2002 09:24 PM

Waterfoul,
I work at a Chevy/Dodge dealership. I agree with Sunsation32, those prices seem a little high. Check us out @www.sheehy.com and if you see anything you like (or just want some info), call me @240-299-0995 and I'll be happy to help!

Steve

GEORGE YURICK 04-14-2002 09:37 PM

decisions decisions... dodge sounds like a good deal .. personally i like the look of the dodges and they seem to run well .. although i am a gm guy.. local marinas around here seem to favor the dodges ... good luck on your search.. keep us posted..

Von Bongo 04-14-2002 10:03 PM

I think the chevy is a better truck, no doubt that Dodge makes a nice truck and very popular. Does the dodge still use the solid front axel? When I looked at them new in 98 they did and that turned me off. It rode rougher than both the Chevy and the Ford I also test drove, ended up buying a Ford because GM was on stike and the dealers thought the PU's they had on the lot were gold. So I bought a Ford and than bought another one last year because I still haven't forgiven the local GM dealer for being a jerk last time.

The dodge did seem to have a larger interior than the other two.

Check www.nada.com for prices of used. It's a little high maybe a grand to $1500 depending on the options, also it's the wrong time of year to be selling a 4x4 so you should be able to get a better deal.

Advantage_Rob 04-14-2002 10:08 PM

hey WF,
Are you trading in the dodge?? If not I'm looking to sell my 4 door Tahoe for an excursion PSD, you were in my truckat the fun run at metro last year. NO I DONT TAKE TRADE IN's. Who'd want a dodge anyway!!! Just kidding, I couldn't resist! 96 Tahoe SLT, 90K on it, black 4x4 grey leather, tow package, Vortec motor, and I'm a religious Mobil 1 user, plus the chrome 2002 denali rims. Cmon WF, you'd be pimpin behind the titnted glass!!

Red Stripe 04-15-2002 03:41 AM

Keep shopping around Mike. I think you can get a better deal than that. Otherwise, go with your gut.

dyno 04-15-2002 07:35 AM

Come on Mike you got to make the switch to a winner!!!!buy the Chevy!!!!!dont be in a hurry I think there will be some deals around........I'm going to start looking soon too,I want a 3/4 ton Suburban....VanDams have a nice one want to buy the wifes Tahoe? I'll make you a good deal.....

XTRM22 04-15-2002 03:29 PM

Hey Waterfoul, I like the post somebody else said about everybody makes lemons and everybody make good ones! I towed my 22' DCB (a little lighter then the Waterfoul) with my 94 GMC and never had a problem towing, I traded it a 117,000 miles (hard miles) and bought my F350. I know a lot of guys who really like the dodges, but I swore by my GMC until I felt like it was wore out. You gotta do what feels best, but I'd lean toward the chevy.
Chuck

Rambunctious 04-15-2002 04:14 PM

Mike

lets look at this one!!!

1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, 67,000 miles, exhaust and bedliner, loaded w/ out leather, 350 Vortec V8 engine, 3rd door, $15,500 OBO. Zeeland, MI. 616-772-6613.

26scarab 04-15-2002 07:37 PM

Hey WF,
Talk to Formula 1 , he has a F-250 for sale .
I know it's a Ford and all :D But it would be WAY better than a 1/2 ton truck . I think he wants $11k

powerqrudy 04-15-2002 08:42 PM

I think your best bet is the people on this board. Good people who are probbaly fanitc on maintance and keping them clean. I just traded the old 94 ram 4x4 180,000 on it for a Yukon the GMC seems to pull better and the ride is no compare...best of luck.

slydog2 04-15-2002 09:36 PM

waterfoul, whats up? yea it's me, i's been awhile but i had to stay away until my issues were resolved with eliminator. come to think of it you probably do have some pictures of my wife. don't show them though wait until you get more this year. i think you should buy the dodge, unless you have some friends with dodges, like me, who can help tow you back home when your chevy breaks down.
i just got back on this site last night and haven't had a chance to look around yet.so bring me up to speed on whether or not people are coming to the ozarks again this year. i hope to be water ready by the first of may.
seeeee ya
sly

Waterfoul 04-15-2002 11:00 PM

Hey Max dog!! Good to see you back. Yes, there are a LOT of us taking over LOTO on Mem. Day. You WILL HAVE to be a part of the festivities with your new boat! There are quite a few threads refering to it.

Mike

Going to look at the Dodge agian tomorrow after work.

slydog2 04-16-2002 09:36 PM

waterfoul
memorial weekend sounds great, the wife is on vacation this time. and you can't take over the lake, it belongs to me. but you can borrow it for the weekend. i'll try and find the threads about mem weekend. i still have 2 water cannons that don't belong to me.