Performance Boaters (?) on Lake Travis >

Performance Boaters (?) on Lake Travis

Notices

Performance Boaters (?) on Lake Travis

Old 04-14-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Performance Boaters (?) on Lake Travis

Got the Thouroughbred out for the first time yesterday and boy am I glad that I was well prepared...

Having just done a bunch of work on the boat, it was a bit of a shakedown cruise. Once on plane, the steering felt wrong so I backed off to find that I had neglected to top off the power steering reservoir. No problem, I had a quart in the boat.

We're sitting in the middle of the lake, engine off, hatch up, heads and shoulders in the engine compartment, and here comes a bunch of offshore boats blasting by. I learn later on it was some kind of Poker Run sponsered by the local Baja dealer.

Did anyone going by act at all concerned that there was a boat with some sort of trouble? Didn't seem so.

Did anyone stop to render assistance. Absolutely not.

Was I in distress? Not really, but I could've been...

Thanks for all you're help guys, NOT!
Old 04-15-2002, 01:53 PM
OutlawBayB

Sorry to hear about that JohnJan. We're all supposed to look after each other-but it does help if you have a cruising buddy-just in case!!! You never know what could happen.

We went on a run Sunday in Clear lake to Dickinson-whew, first time gulfing the new boat-NO GPS, NO SPEEDO, & NO VHF.......are we nuts or what??!!

We won't make it down for a run till later in the summer. We'll keep an eye out for ya!

Carina

Old 04-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear no one came to see if you were alright. This weekend & 2 weeks ago I am out trying to get motor tuned correctly. Make pass, stop & check plugs. I think everytime I shut motor down & raised cover about 2 or 3 people woulld come by & see if I was OK. I am thankfull that they came to check on me but sometimes we were ready to go again & would wait for them to get to us so we could tell them we were "OK & Thank You for stoping. "
Old 04-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Registered

John,
I was definitely concerned about your situation. especially since i was in the boat with you. i found that the shrimp boaters in matagorda bay won't stop for you either when you have your engine hatch up. there just isn;t a strong bond between boaters anymore.

those baja poker run boaters were almost as bad as the harley guys that don't wave to you when you're on your honda.

no respect !
Old 04-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Registered

Next time, bring your inflatable love doll and bend her over in the hatch and lots of people will stop, even if they don't stop you can always just keep your self entertained. Seems like a good idea to me.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:01 AM
Registered

Sorry to here about that. Though I am not surprised.

More important, how did the run go? Boat feel much better? Break 80 by chance?
Old 04-16-2002, 08:58 AM
Registered

Not quite, dammit. I was thinking about tossing Dredge out but I needed someone to hold the GPS.

Next time...
Old 04-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Registered

You could always tape the GPS to the dash. Dredge can float in the water for a while. He knows how to swim. At least your still faster than he is. Did the margin increase any?