Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Motion 35 trip outboards (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222110-motion-35-trip-outboards.html)

blueprint 01-01-2010 04:40 PM

Motion 35 trip outboards

I'm rigging a 35 Motion with triple outboards on CMC jackplates, where should the outer outboards be rigged, how close to the tunnel? the engine height is 25" for the outer engines and 20" for the center engine? also some help as to engine height both for the outer engines and the center engine would be appreciated.

Maritime_Eng 01-01-2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint (Post 3015912)
I'm rigging a 35 Motion with triple outboards on CMC jackplates, where should the outer outboards be rigged, how close to the tunnel? the engine height is 25" for the outer engines and 20" for the center engine? also some help as to engine height both for the outer engines and the center engine would be appreciated.

Sounds really cool. Any pictures?

stirling 01-02-2010 02:07 AM

I had a triple engine cat ,and a quad engine (and now I run this setup on my twin engine cat ),we set up the left and right mounted engines with the propellor tip running 1 to 1 1/2 inch in the tunnel,we found this on several racing cats with triples ,the height depents on a lot of things ,but on your boat that has a huge notch ,I would start with the center propshaft 1 inch above the bottem to see if there,s enough water pressure ,and then work up with 1/4 inch at a time adjustments.
The center engine on that triple boat was 2 inch above the lowest point of the side sponsons ,and had always enough water pressure .
Off course when you run external pick ups ,you won,t have water pressure problems when adjusting the engine heights.
I would not recommand this to anyone ,but we did this ...
I tied myseld up with a few ropes ,so I had a good grip when laying between the engines on the aft deck ,so I had a good vieuw on the lower units ,let my nephew drove the boat up to 100 mph on 100% flat water ,so we could adjust the engines so that all the water in front of the gearcases was going just under the bullets ,right into the water pickups ,and I could clearly see the upper cones free from the water .

Its not something I would do again ,cause its kinda scary ..

bor 01-02-2010 03:36 AM

Jesus Stirling I don,t know you where that crazy !

That must be a lot of years back when you was young ,if youre still interested we can do the same thing on the p21 ?!!:lolhit:

Velocity Tom 01-02-2010 07:31 PM

I tried to get in touch with someone at motion about a new 35 with trip 300s. I emailed and called no one ever called me back or replied.

AO31 01-02-2010 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by stirling (Post 3016077)
I had a triple engine cat ,and a quad engine (and now I run this setup on my twin engine cat ),we set up the left and right mounted engines with the propellor tip running 1 to 1 1/2 inch in the tunnel,we found this on several racing cats with triples ,the height depents on a lot of things ,but on your boat that has a huge notch ,I would start with the center propshaft 1 inch above the bottem to see if there,s enough water pressure ,and then work up with 1/4 inch at a time adjustments.
The center engine on that triple boat was 2 inch above the lowest point of the side sponsons ,and had always enough water pressure .
Off course when you run external pick ups ,you won,t have water pressure problems when adjusting the engine heights.
I would not recommand this to anyone ,but we did this ...
I tied myseld up with a few ropes ,so I had a good grip when laying between the engines on the aft deck ,so I had a good vieuw on the lower units ,let my nephew drove the boat up to 100 mph on 100% flat water ,so we could adjust the engines so that all the water in front of the gearcases was going just under the bullets ,right into the water pickups ,and I could clearly see the upper cones free from the water .

Its not something I would do again ,cause its kinda scary ..

I'd imagine most of your fillings would be rattled out with those outboards turning 6k+ only inches from your head!

glassdave 01-02-2010 08:54 PM

was it originally a triple engine boat? something to keep in mind, when you mount any outboard directly in the tunnel the mid case takes a huge beating unless you put a pod in to deflect the water.

LubeJobs42 01-02-2010 08:54 PM

Call Larry at Xtreme marine. He is the best there is in Motion set up. He set up more then anyone else. 954-610-2260. Don't drill a thing without talking to him!!!!

DirtyMoney 01-02-2010 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 3016443)
Call Larry at Xtreme marine. He is the best there is in Motion set up. He set up more then anyone else. 954-610-2260. Don't drill a thing without talking to him!!!!

Second that!

blueprint 01-03-2010 07:20 AM

Motion 35

yes larry is really tops, he's helping me a lot. glassdave yes i'm going to build a water deflector for the middle engine, as instructed by larry too.