Notices

Duramax Diesel Upgrades

Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Duramax Diesel Upgrades

I recently traded my gas 6.0L Chevy 2500HD for a 2008 6.6L diesel GMC 2500HD and was wondering if anyone on the boards has experimented w/ any of the available software upgrades. I'm less interested in obtaining MAX HP & more interested in increasing the fuel mileage as well. This vehicle is basically a daily driver for me so I'm talking about increasing non towing fuel mileage. Any additional benefits I might yield while towing will only be a bonus.

With all the different tuners and their claims out (Hypertech, Superchips etc) tough to tell whose really work.

I'm ok w/ installing a cold air box but would rather stay away from an exhaust system if possible.

Please share your experiences good or bad!!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey NASCAT, you might also try your post on the Truck & Trailer thread here at OSO
Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Edge Attitude tuner in my Duramax. Works well and has five settings. From mild to wild. Setting 2 is for milage. On this setting I see roughly 18mpg empty. I have oversized tires on my truck so my main use is to see my actual speed on the display rather than my speedometer.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

I have had very good luck with the edge with attitude on my dodges. It gives you a full gauge display and 5 power levels, I have had two different trucks one with the 5.9 cummins and my new one with the 6.7 cummins both picked up 2mpg on the second power level witch is for towing. my friend has this tuner on his duramax and gained about 2.5mpg and the all around drive ability is much better!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a good place for info http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php?

I have the PPE Tuner. Great power but I hate the way it shifts. Slow off the line, lag when trying to accelerate fast, delayed downshifting. I don't think the tuners tap into the Allison trans.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Registered

I am a fan of programmers on diesels, I have a banks 6-gun on my Dmax. That being said I would stay away from a programmer on the new emissions control diesels if you dont want to mess with exhaust changes.
You can change out the exhaust(early aftermarket Dmax exhaust system without DPF fits great) it is easy to do yourself. Then you get a programmer called EFI live, it will come with a tune generally, but you can shut off all warning lights from removal of DPF, and tune the truck for as much power or economy as you desire. And last but not least you can get a EGR block off and cancel the lights from doing that with the EFI live also.After all this the truck will run like hell, and most guys that do it are seeing 21-22 mpg out of thier trucks. The bad part is bye bye warranty.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Registered

Stay away from edge on the new trucks, they have some issues, at least on the GM trucks. They will also plug up you DPF quickly and send it into active regen mode which kills fuel economy.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 2,972 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by NKissau
I have the Edge Attitude tuner in my Duramax. Works well and has five settings. From mild to wild. Setting 2 is for milage. On this setting I see roughly 18mpg empty. I have oversized tires on my truck so my main use is to see my actual speed on the display rather than my speedometer.
Agreed....We have the same set up on our 05 Duramax. Great package. I don't know if tx911 is just referring to brand new duramax' (09's) but we haven't had a bit of problems. My buddy runs the Edge Attitude on his 07 Ford F350 King Ranch too. No problems, he loves it.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my truck into limp mode twice while towing. Pulled over, shut the truck off, waited a few minutes. Started it back up and it was fine.

I got 125 hp and did not remove the dpf. Towing is when you can clog it.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

on the 07 and newer if you don't take the dpf off you will have nothing but problems. you will spend more time parked on the side of the highway then driving. that is what happend to me on my 07. I run mine in stock mode know and no more problems. check your millage at the pump not the dic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.