First time boater.....help

Notices

First time boater.....help

Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time boater.....help

Hey guys,

I知 new here from Toronto. I知 looking into picking up a 1991 Warlock Euro 24 with a 454 and Bravo 1 drive. I don't know too much about boats, and this will be my first boat. Can anyone tell me about this boat? What should I look for? Any info is appreciated.

I tried to find some info on this boat but it looks like a pretty rare boat. What is the going rate for one of these boats in good condition?

Thanks for your help guys.

Yuri.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Steve_H

Have a marine survey done on it. It will hopefully find any and all damage, moisture, rot, etc. which you can use to negotiate the price. A good survey will also put a value on the boat so your not in the dark.

http://www.marinesurvey.org/index2.html

Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Your first boat!.....Why would you buy such a rare boat?

The best advice I ever received was first, figure out what kind of boating you will do...... ie. day boating, overnighting, inland lakes, offshore or bigger water, water skiing, poker running etc. Then once you have that figured out, buy the boat that best fits your type of boating. Buy a respected brand name boat with brand name power, or at least a set up that can be maintained by local mechanics in your area, assuming you will not do the maintenance yourself. Then when you are ready to move up.... (it happens to all of us eaten up on boating), you will have a better chance of trading or selling your existing boat yourself.

Just my 2 cents worth...from a 25+ year boating NUT.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Rare boats are hard to sell and difficult to price out since there are no comparisons. I would guess 10-14k. That being said, I think you would be much better off in the long run if you got a boat made by a well known manufacturer.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Registered

Default euro24

Originally Posted by yuiou
Hey guys,

I知 new here from Toronto. I知 looking into picking up a 1991 Warlock Euro 24 with a 454 and Bravo 1 drive. I don't know too much about boats, and this will be my first boat. Can anyone tell me about this boat? What should I look for? Any info is appreciated.

I tried to find some info on this boat but it looks like a pretty rare boat. What is the going rate for one of these boats in good condition?

Thanks for your help guys.

Yuri.
I HAVE A 89 WARLOCK EURO24. I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT HANDLES PRETTY WELL BUT I DONT USE IT FOR MUCH MORE THAN LAKE USE. I HAVE HEARD THAT THESE BOATS DO PRETTY WELL IN SOME WHAT ROUGH WATER THOUGH.THESE BOATS DO SEEM HARD TO FIND AND AS EVERYONE ELSE MENTIONED....HAVE IT CHECKED OUT (UNLESS YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF). IF YOU ARE DEAD-SET ON HAVING THIS BOAT AND ARE NOT ABLE TO INSPECT IT YOURSELF HERE ARE A FEW POINTERS:
1.) MOVE THE DRIVE SIDE-TO-SIDE (IT SHOULDN'T HAVE MORE THAN 1/4 INCH OF PLAY W/O THE STEERING WHEEL MOVING....THIS CAN BE COSTLY TO HAVE REPAIRED)
2.) GET IN THE BOAT AND LOOK FOR "UNEVEN AREAS OR BUMPS" IN THE CARPET (THIS CAN INDICATE ROTTEN WOOD
UNDER THE CARPET). YOU CAN EVEN "KNOCK ON THE FLOOR" AND LISTEN FOR CHANGES IN SOUND.
3.) CHECK ALL THE FLUIDS. ARE THEY CLEAN AND TOPPED OFF? CHECK THE DRIVE TRIM RESERVOIR FLUID. IS IT CLEAN? (THE REASON I SAY THIS IS BECAUSE IF ITS "MILKY".....THERE'S WATER IN IT AND THATS NOT A GOOD SIGN!).
4.) ASK THE SELLER FOR MAINTENANCE RECORDS IF HE HAS ANY.
5.) CHECK AND MAKE SURE THE DRIVE AND TRIM TABS GO UP AND DOWN NORMALLY, SEE IF THE BLOWER MOTOR WORKS (NOT AN EXPENSIVE FIX IF IT DOESN"T), ETC.........

THESE ARE JUST SOME "BASIC'S" TO HELP YOU GET STARTED BUT GENERALLY YOU CAN TELL THE CONDITION OF A BOAT BY HOW IT'S KEPT. IF IT'S CLEAN (IE: CLEAN MOTOR, ENGINE COMPARTMENT, INTERIOR, THE PAINT IS IN GOOD SHAPE AND NOT ALL CHIPPED OR SCRATCHED UP, THE OWNER HAS RECEIPTS FOR WORK AND REPAIRS DONE, FLUIDS ARE CLEAN AND NOT LOW, EVERYTHING WORKS, ETC..... THAN CHANCES ARE THAT YOU ARE BUYING A PRETTY NICE BOAT THATS BEEN TAKEN CARE OFF.

HOPE THIS HELPS, MARK
Old 01-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Registered

Default euro24

Originally Posted by mustangmark
I HAVE A 89 WARLOCK EURO24. I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT HANDLES PRETTY WELL BUT I DONT USE IT FOR MUCH MORE THAN LAKE USE. I HAVE HEARD THAT THESE BOATS DO PRETTY WELL IN SOME WHAT ROUGH WATER THOUGH.THESE BOATS DO SEEM HARD TO FIND AND AS EVERYONE ELSE MENTIONED....HAVE IT CHECKED OUT (UNLESS YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF). IF YOU ARE DEAD-SET ON HAVING THIS BOAT AND ARE NOT ABLE TO INSPECT IT YOURSELF HERE ARE A FEW POINTERS:
1.) MOVE THE DRIVE SIDE-TO-SIDE (IT SHOULDN'T HAVE MORE THAN 1/4 INCH OF PLAY W/O THE STEERING WHEEL MOVING....THIS CAN BE COSTLY TO HAVE REPAIRED)
2.) GET IN THE BOAT AND LOOK FOR "UNEVEN AREAS OR BUMPS" IN THE CARPET (THIS CAN INDICATE ROTTEN WOOD
UNDER THE CARPET). YOU CAN EVEN "KNOCK ON THE FLOOR" AND LISTEN FOR CHANGES IN SOUND.
3.) CHECK ALL THE FLUIDS. ARE THEY CLEAN AND TOPPED OFF? CHECK THE DRIVE TRIM RESERVOIR FLUID. IS IT CLEAN? (THE REASON I SAY THIS IS BECAUSE IF ITS "MILKY".....THERE'S WATER IN IT AND THATS NOT A GOOD SIGN!).
4.) ASK THE SELLER FOR MAINTENANCE RECORDS IF HE HAS ANY.
5.) CHECK AND MAKE SURE THE DRIVE AND TRIM TABS GO UP AND DOWN NORMALLY, SEE IF THE BLOWER MOTOR WORKS (NOT AN EXPENSIVE FIX IF IT DOESN"T), ETC.........

THESE ARE JUST SOME "BASIC'S" TO HELP YOU GET STARTED BUT GENERALLY YOU CAN TELL THE CONDITION OF A BOAT BY HOW IT'S KEPT. IF IT'S CLEAN (IE: CLEAN MOTOR, ENGINE COMPARTMENT, INTERIOR, THE PAINT IS IN GOOD SHAPE AND NOT ALL CHIPPED OR SCRATCHED UP, THE OWNER HAS RECEIPTS FOR WORK AND REPAIRS DONE, FLUIDS ARE CLEAN AND NOT LOW, EVERYTHING WORKS, ETC..... THAN CHANCES ARE THAT YOU ARE BUYING A PRETTY NICE BOAT THATS BEEN TAKEN CARE OFF.

HOPE THIS HELPS, MARK
p.s. TEST DRIVE IT AND IF YOUR NEW TO BOATS AND KNOW SOMEONE THAT CAN HELP YOU......ASK THEM IF THEY CAN COME WITH YOU. YOU MIGHT FIND DURING THE TEST DRIVE THAT THE BOAT IS NOT WHAT YOU EXPECTED.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chick magnet! Do it!