Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker runs... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/22239-poker-runs.html)

RedWarlock 04-14-2002 06:48 PM

Poker runs...

Ok, I'll admit it. I don't have a clue as to how these things work. (I've only had the Warlock a month now.:D ) I have an opportunity to participate in one, and being the novice I am, any help on what to do, how it's organized and what to expect would be GREATLY appreciated! I look to my fellow OSO'ers for help and advice. (God help me... :rolleyes: ) :D

Gassticks 04-14-2002 07:53 PM

Well Redwarlock,
They go somthing like this : You pay a fee: this is usesally for
The captian and one crew member.
You start out on the run with Card stops along the way , The stops give you a single card most times in a sealed envelope. After you traveled to all the stops everybody meets and opens their cards and who ever has the best hand wins the big prize. And most times they have other prizes also.

Madcow 04-14-2002 09:15 PM

Go for it Red. There will be plenty of veterans there to help you with what you don't know. I gaurantee you'll love it. I've been on more poker runs than I can count, and I've never had a bad time!:cool:

RedWarlock 04-14-2002 09:23 PM

Thanks guys! It sounds like it will be a BLAST!!!:cool: BTW, how much, if at all, will speed factor into this? :D

Pure Energy 04-14-2002 11:06 PM

Speed is not an issue. These are for fun and bragging rights. You can go as fast or as slow as you want. Most people like to hammer down the whole time, some like to race those close to them and then back down to slower speeds(thats me), others just do the course and hope to win the pot at the end. Always fun and always a good party with good people at the end.

Congrats on the Warlock!

SHARKEY-IMAGES 04-14-2002 11:49 PM

You must do it!!! I ran my first Poker Run last year @ The NY Hudson River Poker Run. It was the wildest 75 miles that I had run in a long time. I then followed that up with NJPPC's Poker Runs for the rest of the season. I am now stepping up from my 13 footer to a 28 Checkmate. This season I expect it to a more comfortable ride...;) :D :D :D

Audiofn 04-15-2002 12:05 AM

GO FOR IT!!!! They are so much fun prize or no prize. You will hook up with some great people and see some nice boats and swap some good stories. The fees range from small to large but it ussually as has been said includes the entry fee for you and one crew. Add more for extra people, but ussually most runs include a lunch stop on the way.

Jon

RedWarlock 04-15-2002 10:11 AM

I've sent for the info and registration pkg. Will let you guys know how it went! Thanks again for the input! :D :cool: