Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What do you think the top 10 boating innovations were of the decade? >

What do you think the top 10 boating innovations were of the decade?

Notices

What do you think the top 10 boating innovations were of the decade?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaBeach
Ilmor V10 I think should be thrown in the hat

4 Stroke outboards

Offshore Only?? OK cheezy but think about what this site has done to organize people and share knowledge?

I think the # 1 should be "Racksters" Stripper pole on his 29 Fountain
good points!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who knows what the best is.....but I can tell you the v-berth with a brass pole is the epitome of pleasure boating
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Registered

of all the things I don't like about OSO this thread is not one of them!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where would stepped hulls fit into this discussion? I don't have one, so I can't speak with authority on the issue, but they certainly seem to be popular (probably more like 12-14 years out though).
Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

GPS speedo's becoming standard equipment on many boats.

In the early 1990's I bought a radar gun for my own use. It also ruined a lot of folks day who believed their dream-o-meter's!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Registered

Fuel injected supercharged engines, Smartcraft, GPS plotters, the Livorsi prop slip gauge and #6 drives are five things I could not live without.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

many thoughts have been mentioned already... here are a few.... the improvements made on trailers for V's and especially the tilting trailers for the cats. Silent exhaust that Nor-Tech came up with and Mercury should have paid royalties or partnered up properly vs coming out with their own version after much analization at the plant. The paint jobs have evolved... and a few more talented painters have risen to the occasion. Boats in general have really improved through competition. ...the monopoly has been broken..Mercury..and Ilmor will be a force to recon with.

Last edited by Jassman; 01-10-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jassman
many thoughts have been mentioned already... here are a few.... the improvements made on trailers for V's and especially the tilting trailers for the cats. Silent exhaust that Nor-Tech came up with and Mercury should have paid royalties or partnered up properly vs coming out with their own version after much analization at the plant. The paint jobs have evolved... and a few more talented painters have risen to the occasion. Boats in general have really improved through competition. ...the monopoly has been broken..Mercury..and Ilmor will be a force to recon with.
Jeff ,what boat are you building now, cat?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t500hps
I'm really impressed with something that came into the bassboat world 5-6 years ago. Those guys fish year round, and stand on the bow of boats with about 2 inches of freeboard all day........even the most nible have fallen in the water. Ever try climbing back into one of them? Especially in COLD water wearing 3 layers of wet clothes. Someone came up with the idea of a long internal compartment just underwater on the side transom of the boats. Inside it is a 3-4 step ladder that can be removed and hooked onto the boat to get back in. The guys that invented it wouldn't patent it wanting their competitors to use it since it's such a safety feature.

(My father is an avid bass fisherman, has been in the water, and has had to help pull healthy men back into a boat cause they simply couldn't get back in under those conditions.)
That has actually happened to me. It's a great invention! Thank God there was someone there to pull me out of the water! I would love to see pictures. Or is there a site...
Old 01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.scsgearbox.com/default2.a...ive_page_id=96

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.