Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What do you think the top 10 boating innovations were of the decade? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222394-what-do-you-think-top-10-boating-innovations-were-decade.html)

PhantomChaos 01-07-2010 06:41 PM

What do you think the top 10 boating innovations were of the decade?

Not just performance boating......but "boating" in general?

GPS & Weather Alerts?
LED lighting?
Flat screens?
Electronic instrumentation?
Volvo IPS engines?

Matt Trulio 01-08-2010 01:45 AM

Of the decade? Well, this one isn't over yet.

Stay tuned.

t500hps 01-08-2010 08:04 AM

I'm really impressed with something that came into the bassboat world 5-6 years ago. Those guys fish year round, and stand on the bow of boats with about 2 inches of freeboard all day........even the most nible have fallen in the water. Ever try climbing back into one of them? Especially in COLD water wearing 3 layers of wet clothes. Someone came up with the idea of a long internal compartment just underwater on the side transom of the boats. Inside it is a 3-4 step ladder that can be removed and hooked onto the boat to get back in. The guys that invented it wouldn't patent it wanting their competitors to use it since it's such a safety feature.

(My father is an avid bass fisherman, has been in the water, and has had to help pull healthy men back into a boat cause they simply couldn't get back in under those conditions.)

LAriverratt 01-08-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3019791)
Ever try climbing back into one of them? Especially in COLD water wearing 3 layers of wet clothes.

Been there, done that, plus landing on my ribs first before I hint the water!

Wildman_grafix 01-08-2010 08:21 AM

Why isn't any of the bass boats cats?

Quinlan 01-08-2010 08:33 AM

G strings and pasties!!! ok maybe over 10yrs old but hey

PhantomChaos 01-08-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3019791)
I'm really impressed with something that came into the bassboat world 5-6 years ago. Those guys fish year round, and stand on the bow of boats with about 2 inches of freeboard all day........even the most nible have fallen in the water. Ever try climbing back into one of them? Especially in COLD water wearing 3 layers of wet clothes. Someone came up with the idea of a long internal compartment just underwater on the side transom of the boats. Inside it is a 3-4 step ladder that can be removed and hooked onto the boat to get back in. The guys that invented it wouldn't patent it wanting their competitors to use it since it's such a safety feature.

(My father is an avid bass fisherman, has been in the water, and has had to help pull healthy men back into a boat cause they simply couldn't get back in under those conditions.)

Got a picture?

offshoredrillin 01-08-2010 09:40 AM

epoxy boats and layup from cosker and outerlimits. the strides that dustin has made in the technology and reliability of superchargers. the strides that were made in efi motors over the past 10 years. also the use of turbos from chief in the past couple years seems to be building. the return of the open race in Bimini was a highlight for me as well, topped off by winning my class..those are pros to me

the cons are national marine, hideaway marine and general dishonesty in boating.

BenPerfected 01-08-2010 10:15 AM

4+ blade props with a raised X and lighter composites has accounted for 25+% improvement in OS performance.