Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC??? >

63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC???

Notices

63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC???

Old 01-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the most fun I've had in awhile!

At least these two are allowed to slug it out here on YF they would have gotten booted 5 pages ago!

So, do you both of agree the boat stuffed and came apart (for whatever reason) and did not hit anything?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uncle first off IF you are building a boat for longevity Wood/Plyrot/Balsa is not on the input ,home depot-shopping list! Where the Plastics can be exposed to water and humidity permanently.
Now where the Behavior of the sandwich Structure under overload, Impact, fatigue. Vibrations and ETC the Plastic wins hands down.

Stiffness again Uncle not true by any measure in a well-designed panel! If anything it will be self-destructive. As if wood is used that does not have the consistency of Plastic.

And again your Data is NA where the Liner foams are concerned. Now off topic the best in Sport fishing Boats and Composite Yachts are built using Plastic Cores.

Last edited by Steve 1; 01-17-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe

At least these two are allowed to slug it out here on YF they would have gotten booted 5 pages ago!

So, do you both of agree the boat stuffed and came apart (for whatever reason) and did not hit anything?
It appears that way, but until a real evaluation can be made by both sides of this it is a touchy issue.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe

Well It came apart for sure and looks like delamination.

With the sophistication of todays radar and chart plotters I for one find it hard to believe he hit anything.

The buoy would not only show up on radar, (from miles away no less based on the height of the array) It would also probably be on his GPS's chart.

If hes using a raster chart like most capatains seem to prefer - buoys are definately marked.

Some guys will navigate that that though setting waypoints from buoy marker to buoy marker and he could have been blindly following a waypoint right to it.

Lets say he hit the buoy. Should that have brought a 63ft 1.8M dollar bertram to the bottom? I just dont see it. Chain wrapped around a strut yanked something off, damaged the boat- oh yeah sink it? ehh dont think so but its possible.

Im a big believer in waiting to see what the testing shows, but It sounds and looks to me like the boat just buckled.

UD
Attached Thumbnails 63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC???-dsc00374.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Uncle first off IF you are building a boat for longevity Wood/Plyrot/Balsa is not on the input home, depot-shopping list! Where the Plastics can be exposed to water and humidity permanently.
Now where the Behavior of the sandwich Structure under overload, Impact, fatigue. Vibrations and ETC the Plastic wins hands down.

Stiffness again Uncle not true by any measure in a well-designed panel! If anything it will be self-destructive. As if wood is used that does not have the consistency of Plastic.

And again your Data is NA where the Liner foams are concerned. Now off topic the best in Sport fishing Boats and Composite Yachts are built using Plastic Cores.
Its Not my data.

UD
Old 01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Its Not my data.

UD
Yes and I pointed the problem with that data!

OK then Explain why the Brand X Failed in My impact testing ,Supposed to be much stronger right?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy was driving that boat, its very unfortunate.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Yes and I pointed the problem with that data!

OK then Explain why the Brand X Failed in My impact testing?
First you said it was "bogus."

When I posted Gurits data now you cant really say its bogus anymore can you?

Your hammer test is interesting but one "test" does not trump all the other measurements of strength in the third party data.

You said Sigma labs did the testing??
Is it Sigma labs data, or yours?
Can you post the whole lab report?

If you can, then we can all compare all the third party data objectively.

Im off to Home depot to see what kind of deal I can get on a Cigarette Top Gun made from crappy wood. Its probably on the other side of the Skater aisle.

UD
Old 01-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CHEESE
My buddy was driving that boat, its very unfortunate.

Glad he is OK, thats really the only thing that matters.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 01-17-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: a spelling error in a one sentence mail grrrrrrr....
Old 01-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
First you said it was "bogus."

When I posted Gurits data now you cant really say its bogus anymore can you?

Your hammer test is interesting but one "test" does not trump all the other measurements of strength in the third party data.

You said Sigma labs did the testing??
Is it Sigma labs data, or yours?
Can you post the whole lab report?

If you can, then we can all compare all the third party data objectively.

Im off to Home depot to see what kind of deal I can get on a Cigarette Top Gun made from crappy wood. Its probably on the other side of the Skater aisle.

UD
Why did the D-57 and D-100 Balsa Break since by what you believe it is stronger? But the linear foam did not!

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzyw0Jo8Zg

You do not get it do you??

Last edited by Steve 1; 01-17-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.