63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC??? >

63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC???

Notices

63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC???

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Dude Skater does a Dam good job with it is why.

No I build custom One Off boats I am not trying to sell core You have the Baltic link for The D-100

Corecell is on line I had the link on my site but Gurit is their site name since they merged with SP systems a while back then explain why the wood broke and the plastic did not! Remember Some static numbers are completely worthless in a dynamic world.
I see SB-100 but I dont see D-100- are they they same?

Is there a corecell test series available in any testing format you approve of? I dont see one when I go to gurit.

UD
Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
I see SB-100 but I dont see D-100- are they they same?

Is there a corecell test series available in any testing format you approve of? I dont see one when I go to gurit.

UD
Testing That would be from Gurit or Gougeon Bros The balsa sheets had a "D" Prefix there was no scrim on this material the blocks were all glued together.

I have always used the drop hammer results and was setting one up when I went overseas as it is more in line with the slamming loads,which are very mechanical like in nature and represents the ultimate trial!

Last edited by Steve 1; 01-15-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Quite amazing they are all built by eye huh.Paul showed me a video one time of him jumping 10 foot swells in a 54 he built like he was running around in a 18 foot Donzi.
whats the average cost of the 54 over a mil? and are they covered in glass on the out side ? I just looked quick at 2am last night, built by eye with a jig correct that they use to start them it looks. awesome looking like a BD SF with the flared deck.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Testing That would be from Gurit or Gougeon Bros The balsa sheets had a "D" Prefix there was no scrim on this material the blocks were all glued together.

I have always used the drop hammer results and was setting one up when I went overseas as it is more in line with the slamming loads,which are very mechanical like in nature and represents the ultimate trial!
Steve do you have any pics of the last boat you did and year to show uncle dave and me are you saying the foam flexes where the balsa doesn't. if so wouldn't a bottom made out of core and gel crack the stiff gel coat or paint in rough water or is it you have a skeleton ribbed frame the core attaches to. if I remember right your boats have a skeleton like frame jig?? thanks art
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
Steve do you have any pics of the last boat you did and year to show uncle dave and me are you saying the foam flexes where the balsa doesn't. if so wouldn't a bottom made out of core and gel crack the stiff gel coat or paint in rough water or is it you have a skeleton ribbed frame the core attaches to. if I remember right your boats have a skeleton like frame jig?? thanks art
No wrong when hit HARD HARD it will yield OR transfer the loading to a larger portion of thi inside lamnate .where The Balsa will Fail! How do you read cracking Gelcoat into that ? So you would rather have a failure instead?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here is a very old Airex boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esxxtLg8qJ4
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Somewhat similar boat (first Quad sportsfisherman I've ever seen) but I guess you can envision what it might look like running into a tow cable from this video:

http://www.quadzeus.com/media.html
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve- what the lab tested isnt "my wood". Nor Skaters, Schiada, Sabre, Lavey, Eliminator,Howard etc. etc. etc.

I've never seen non scrimmed balsa used in a core. How would non scrimmed balsa follow the shape of a hull?

We use labs all the time in my industry when they test they always post their name in a lower third on screen and state each manufacturer being tested along with the model number and date of material acquisition.

Ive never seen a Lab use a open locked stanley tape measure as a primary measurement tool.

I found Gurits test data on corecell.

Here are the #'s they post. You guys can all read em.

UD
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Corecell_A_Foam_v7_SP.pdf (36.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: pdf
sb_data_sheet.pdf (88.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Fascinating dialogue........

IMHO this is kind of like chocolate and vanilla...different strokes for different folks. Steve is probably the best foam core based builder around and has proved that over the years. Peter is the best performance boat builder on the planet and likewise has an amazing history.

My take is that foam core is wonderful in low surface impact applications, but repeated ballistic cycles tend to constrict the core. This leads to skin flex ( the natural result of the "bending" that Steve alludes to) and subsequent separation, followed by delamination and failure. Balsa , while certainly not perfect, is a better choice in these conditions. On the other hand, decks, bulkheads and other non impact areas are much better suited for foam core materials. Steve will disagree and certainly provide contradictory data, but if it were my nickle and my boat bottom, I would spec balsa on all running surfaces.

No disrespect intended towards Steve, as I believe he can build a foam cored boat that will withstand much more than most other builders and he is a genius at producing craft which limit impact levels through design and light weight.

T2x
Old 01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Steve- what the lab tested isnt "my wood". Nor Skaters, Schiada, Sabre, Lavey, Eliminator,Howard etc. etc. etc.

I've never seen non scrimmed balsa used in a core. How would non scrimmed balsa follow the shape of a hull?

We use labs all the time in my industry when they test they always post their name in a lower third on screen and state each manufacturer being tested along with the model number and date of material acquisition.

Ive never seen a Lab use a open locked stanley tape measure as a primary measurement tool.

I found Gurits test data on corecell.

Here are the #'s they post. You guys can all read em.

UD
Numbers ?? so what what do they really mean? Here too continue:
Uncle once again you cheap shot the discussion, the testing was done at Sigma Labs . The numbers are just that with the Plastic cores they do not indicate Failure Got it ! only the material moved and that was marked as it's physical VIA the ASTM Methods Now I just prefer the nasty moment of Inerita/Panel Beam Deflection Via any Extreme and Severe loading too be just that and not a Failure Point! Are you with me?? NON scrimmed Balsa LOL Uncle I will do another post.

Last edited by Steve 1; 01-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.