Notices

Volts Jumping Around

Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volts Jumping Around

Hi ,

I was wondering if anybody could help? I have a 1989 Formula 311 and have been having the issue of the volts jumping all around the place. At anytime the volts could jump past the 16 mark to below the 9 mark. When this happens you can hear it in the the blower motors. I have never had a problem starting the boat or running out of jucie at all, but I would like to have this issue fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

When you say jumping around you mean the volt meter?

Check it with a hand held, maybe the diodes are bad in the alternator.When you are reading the DC volts, with as much load as you can put on, switch to AC and see what the reading is.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Past 16v!?!? i would lean heavy on the voltage regulator in the Alt. a normal one would not let the voltager go above 14.2 or so....your gauge could be off on the reading so definetly use a known good volt meter to see what the volatge is doing compared to the gauge...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!