Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ? for everyone about boat values? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222649-everyone-about-boat-values.html)

dieselmatt1 01-12-2010 10:26 AM

? for everyone about boat values?

im in the market for a 25-35 baja outlaw/or fountain ,

why does everyone think there boat is worth 10k to 30k over blue book value?

i have cash in hand and cant find a good market deal, im know it might be a little over blue book but whats going on?

curious what everyone else has to say - or if you are running into the same problem.

GLH 01-12-2010 10:38 AM

Make offers at your price don't get insulted when you get a no, there are plenty of those rigs for sale.

Wildman_grafix 01-12-2010 10:39 AM

I don't know about BB value but the boats condition, hours and how it has been taken care of makes a huge difference.

Repo's seem like good deals but you have to wonder how bad they were beat on and maintained when the owners knew they wouldn't have to fix them.
IMO

GLH is right, a lot of those out there, you could spend months looking for one that fits.

45SS 01-12-2010 10:46 AM

Check the blue book value to see if it truly reflects what the option packages are on the boat. When somebody steps up to 500 hp or 525's or 575's and the book only lists 496's. These packages can cost the orignal buyer 30,000 and up. I know it did in my case. Blue book and most banks don't care.

dieselmatt1 01-12-2010 10:49 AM

i know you can add for the big hp. motors, and thats what ive been doing - i dont care about the bank beacuse im paying cash,

but i know what you are saying if you are getting a loan they will only approve the loan on a blue book.

Ebay Ed 01-12-2010 10:53 AM

check the prices between blue book and nada there is usually a difference in pricing and almost eveyone ( banks and finance companies ) go off nada not blue book and nada is usually higher

Ebay Ed 01-12-2010 10:57 AM

my baja last fall had a nada of around 24k i think and since i have had it i put a new outdrive on it at 6k plus and a new interior and stereo in it and there is no way i would sell it for what nada is i would probably loose 10k or 11k selling it for book you have to look at all of the newer parts some people have just recently installed on their boats

dieselmatt1 01-12-2010 11:01 AM

belive me i had a 25 outlaw couple years ago lost an easy
10k bettween maint. upgrades and 3k stereo. in 1 year of owning, you can add a little but i think they say the upgrades are worth about half of what you paid,

i always use nada blue book . just to get the higher value

dennis1009 01-12-2010 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by dieselmatt1 (Post 3022321)

i have cash in hand and cant find a good market deal, im know it might be a little over blue book but whats going on?

curious what everyone else has to say - or if you are running into the same problem.

pm sent.

boatntrkr 01-12-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 3022326)
Make offers at your price don't get insulted when you get a no, there are plenty of those rigs for sale.

agreed:drink:

302Sport 01-12-2010 11:18 AM

There comes a point where it doesnt make sense to upgrade your boat at all because when you go to sell, if you have the nicest boat of that make/model you can only ask so much before people spending x amount of dollars are looking at much nicer stuff..........maybe that doesnt make sense to you guys. Maybe this is a good comparison: Sinking $300K into a 1980's POS would be like building a 10000sq ft house in the projects and then trying to sell it. Where as sinking $300K into an old apache is a better investment, kind of like building a bigger house in a better neighborhood. Bottom line is you never want to have to be the highest priced in your market when other people look at comps.........

theadamv1 01-12-2010 11:21 AM

The thing with using Blue Book is those $ are adjusted monthly, and adjusted based on economic times, market, and several other factors. So being in the economic state we are in most BB prices have dropped considerablly.... But Private indivuals may not have adjusted ther asking prices on the same curve that BB has... Blue Book is just that a book.. A referance guide. All those that are stuck thinking that BB values an oblect at a certian price are really out of touch. and most likely not moving their boat/car/truck whatever it is they have for sale. It is definatelly a buyers market and i would not pay a penny more than what you want to pay. If you look longe enough you will find someone that will want to deal with you assuming you are looking at realistic boats for a realistic price. We all know you can not buy a 47 Lightning for 20k. But there are some great deals out there. Given the times i would much rather be the guy standing there with a pocket full of $$ making an offer , than the guy standing there next to a boat he must sell before the bank finds it.. Keep searchinh you will be surprised what you will find...

Brad Zastrow 01-12-2010 11:44 AM

Often times with custom boats the NADA values can be way off for some boats. The difference can be the power packages which can vary quite a lot in price. A single 350 vs a twin 1075 would be a bizzare example. NADA prices work well when pricing a production boat with cookie cutter power. I do not think I have looked at the NADA value of any custom boat I have bought or sold as it really means so little.

GLH 01-12-2010 11:56 AM

Blue/NADA/Mouse Book...

I would not use anything out of those in this market.

Search what is for sale on boattrader.com, here in the adverts and a couple other sites and then start with the best priced for you with the power and shape you are looking for and offer, LOW...

apppedigree 01-12-2010 12:11 PM

Because they owe more than the blue book value!!

JaayTeee 01-12-2010 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by apppedigree (Post 3022396)
Because they owe more than the blue book value!!

+1

RT930turbo 01-12-2010 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 3022379)
Often times with custom boats the NADA values can be way off for some boats. The difference can be the power packages which can vary quite a lot in price. A single 350 vs a twin 1075 would be a bizzare example. NADA prices work well when pricing a production boat with cookie cutter power. I do not think I have looked at the NADA value of any custom boat I have bought or sold as it really means so little.

For late model, production boats it seems pretty accurate for a base line, but when you get into unique boats / options it becomes a matter of open market.

I had honestly never even looked at any of these guides before, but I was surprised to see NADA has an entry for my boat!

"1981 CIGARETTE RACING TEAM INC 24

Low Retail: $3,020
High Retail: $3,400

Low Retail Value — A low retail valued boat will show excessive wear and tear either cosmetically and/or mechanically. This boat may or may not be in running order. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. Low retail vessels usually are not found on a dealer's lot. Low Retail is not a trade-in value.

Average Retail Value — An average retail valued boat should be in good condition with no visible damage or defects. This boat will show moderate wear and tear and will be in sound running condition. The buyer may need to invest in either minor cosmetic or mechanical work.

Note: Vessels in exceptional condition can be worth a significantly higher value than the Average Retail Price shown."

The note at the end sums it up.

If anyone has any other 24's they are looking to unload, I'd gladly give them full retail book value :drink:

wjb21ndtown 01-12-2010 01:51 PM

Check out the baja owners forum. There are a few on there for less than book value, and they're really nice rigs too! (None of which are mine btw, I'm just passing along info!)

gottahaveone 01-12-2010 02:54 PM

bottomline..... take 10K to 15K off of LOW NADA nowadays. no matter how pristine/concours/perfect boat is. no matter how low the hours.

EVEN IF GOD OR BUDDAH OR MOHAMMAD OWNS IT-THATS WHAT THE MARKET WILL BEAR!

if you dont believe me look at the guy with the 2007 formula fastech 382 with twin 600SCI's. every known option known to man. 54hrs. concours condition a perfect 10. he cant sell it to save his ARSE at $189K on e-bay. booked out NEW at over 539K i think on the trailer.

its a sorry state of the economy and it will get worse before it gets better.

Scooter B 01-12-2010 04:16 PM

Blue book and NADA are a joke. I will say it again, the National Association of Automobile Dealears has no business telling us what our boats are worth. It really depends on where you are. In the south, the economy doesn't suck as bad as it does in the rest of the country. In this economy, in the boat/price range you are looking for, I found you may pay a little more than "the book" says if you want a clean boat that has been maintained, but then again, depends on who's selling. There a lot of things to take into consideration, for example, mine came with an all aluminum trailer that just had a complete rebuild (leaf springs, hardware, bearings, bunks, tires, etc....beats the hell out of a 10 year old painted trailer that is rusting out from the inside...add 3K right there.

and...every body owes more than they are worth. That's what happens when you finance for 15-20 years with 0 down.

Griff 01-12-2010 04:40 PM

NADA is a joke with regard to real market value. It has my 1997 32 AT at an avg retail of $37,700 + 3 k for a trailer. Even in this market, its worth about 20k more.

K & G Construction 01-12-2010 05:29 PM

I have a 1996 27' Fountain 23k. Come and get it. I have to many toys.

specialk 01-12-2010 05:51 PM

A book does not buy or sell items so throw it in the garbage. Items are only worth what someone is willing to pay. There are deals just have to be patient and educated so when something good comes up you are ready to pull the trigger before it goes.

tcuda499 01-12-2010 06:30 PM

and...every body owes more than they are worth. That's what happens when you finance for 15-20 years with 0 down.[/QUOTE]

Thats not gonna happen again. Banks want 20% down or they dont want to know ya.

H2Xmark 01-12-2010 07:14 PM

i just checked my 35 fountain, with 500 hp engines, with no other adds or trailer it showed 67300 for av retail. with the adds it showed 68420 then add 7210 dollars for trailer, total 75630. :lolhit:

302Sport 01-12-2010 07:28 PM

are you saying thats low or high??????? here are some comps

http://www.boattrader.com/search-res...t-Length:DESC/

H2Xmark 01-12-2010 07:47 PM

nada had low retail and average retail, that was all average retail price i found on my boat, it was re rigged with 500 efi's , extension boxes, so no add for that, only listed a carb 500. trailer is a 2005 alum, trip axle with disc brakes

OL40SVX 01-12-2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3022563)
NADA is a joke with regard to real market value.

Agreed Griff!!

H2Xmark 01-12-2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3022563)
NADA is a joke with regard to real market value. It has my 1997 32 AT at an avg retail of $37,700 + 3 k for a trailer. Even in this market, its worth about 20k more.

that has to be a typo on nada, Thunders are nice boats, there price there is screwed up big time!!! way to low

302Sport 01-12-2010 09:10 PM

How do they even figure a blue book value on boats??? I'm in the aircraft business and for jets every sale is recorded and made public knowledge to anybody who wants to pay the jetnet fee. It also gives spec sheets which show what equipment the airplane had, engine times, etc...so all you have to do is go online and you can see exactley what airplanes brought what money that month and you know where the market is....sure we have a blue book but the trend in the book is always a couple months behind

bob_t 01-12-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by H2Xmark (Post 3022668)
i just checked my 35 fountain, with 500 hp engines, with no other adds or trailer it showed 67300 for av retail. with the adds it showed 68420 then add 7210 dollars for trailer, total 75630. :lolhit:

Thats a little higher than they were showing for a 2001 35 twin step with 470hp 500's, no adders ... I looked at the 97 with 500's and you have the "7" and "3" reversed, its 63,700. Not trying to be a d!ck, but I've been checking to see what my current boat is worth and what they say a 2001 is worth that I have been looking at. They're only showing a 2001 twin step at 69K average retail with 470hp 500's, no adders, no trailer. If the other guy's comments of "take low NADA and subtract 10K - 15K" is anywhere in the ballpark, then sign me up for two 35 twin steps! :party-smiley-004:

PS: I'll take NADA average retail for the package of my 2006 29 Fever with a 114 hr 525EFI on its Myco trailer, if anyone is interested ... I won't add 10K - 30K to the NADA price!

GO4BROKE 01-12-2010 09:24 PM

http://www.bucvalu.com/
Haven't looked at it in a while, but its the most accurate I've seen.

H2Xmark 01-12-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bob_t (Post 3022767)
Thats a little higher than they were showing for a 2001 35 twin step with 500's, no adders ... I looked at the 97 with 500's and you have the "7" and "3" reversed, its 63,700. Not trying to be a d*ck, but I've been checking to see what my current boat is worth and what they say a 2001 is worth that I have been looking at. They're only showing a 2001 twin step at 69K with 500's, no adders, no trailer. If the other guy's comments of "take low NADA and subtract 10K - 20K and you will be close" is anywhere in the ballpark, then sign me up for two 35 twin steps! :party-smiley-004:

man a long day at work for me!! you are right, 63700, for boat and 500 hp motors, i was mostly posting just to show how there numbers are all over the place. does any dealers even use nada or other guides?

bob_t 01-12-2010 09:43 PM

I wonder if current advertised prices go into NADA's price estimate, or if their estimates are based on actual sales (and even those numbers can be misleading if someone is really upside down and the dealer "pays off their loan" ... and just adds that to that cost of their new purchase as trade in equity like they do with cars - that can really screw up an "aggregate used sale price").

H2Xmark 01-12-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by bob_t (Post 3022785)
I wonder if current advertised prices go into NADA's price estimate, or if their estimates are based on actual sales (and even those numbers can be misleading if someone is really upside down and the dealer "pays off their loan" ... and just adds that to that cost of their new purchase as trade in equity like they do with cars - that can really screw up an "aggregate used sale price").

Very good point!! i might try to email nada and see what they say there prices are based off.

gottahaveone 01-12-2010 10:14 PM

its the laws of supply and demand working here. the nuevo rich of the past few years have suddenly found themselves beyond upside down with various STOOPID investment practices that have forced them to eat alpo dog food and no longer afford a megabuck boat.

when things were good boat mfgs were selling the hell out of boats. now people cant afford them and they have flooded the market with them and will sell them for anything they can get to get out from underneath the high payments.

not very much different than real estate comps. you may a have a millyon dollar home but if yer neighbors sells for 500K yer gonna play hell getting your million out of yours. note to self...........FORECLOSURES SUCK!

watch this upcoming weeks barretts classic car auction and russo and steeles SELL PRICES. i think you will be astounded at where the hot rod muscle car market has gone. and its not gonna be pretty.

with unemployment looking up to 11% you have to be a FOOL to expect top dollar out of ANY TOY for many many years to come.

and then if gas prices soar because of some num-nut pirate hijacking a ship or a refinery fire or some other crap..............well boat sales will be hit even that much harder.

dennis1009 01-12-2010 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by bob_t (Post 3022767)
Thats a little higher than they were showing for a 2001 35 twin step with 470hp 500's, no adders ... I looked at the 97 with 500's and you have the "7" and "3" reversed, its 63,700. Not trying to be a d!ck, but I've been checking to see what my current boat is worth and what they say a 2001 is worth that I have been looking at. They're only showing a 2001 twin step at 69K average retail with 470hp 500's, no adders, no trailer. If the other guy's comments of "take low NADA and subtract 10K - 15K" is anywhere in the ballpark, then sign me up for two 35 twin steps! :party-smiley-004:

PS: I'll take NADA average retail for the package of my 2006 29 Fever with a 114 hr 525EFI on its Myco trailer, if anyone is interested ... I won't add 10K - 30K to the NADA price!

SO WHAT WILL YOU TAKE FOR YOUR 29?

Potomac Fever 01-13-2010 07:01 AM

We all know that NADA in not friendly especially to peformance boats, what I have found is, pricing is what YOU are willing to pay, resale is the downer because if your potential buyer needs financing, most banks and CUs use NADA, or at least so it seems. Thats why most don't want to pay to much outside of this guide IMHO. I agree with an earlier post, Make your offers and don't be discourgaged if you hear no. Just my .02