Looking for feedback on 36 nor-tech supercat >

Looking for feedback on 36 nor-tech supercat

Notices

Looking for feedback on 36 nor-tech supercat

Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my second 36 and love it. A great product and a great group of people that run the company(top to bottom). If there is any specific questions you have please feel free to pm me. Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I own a 36 Nortech Cat and I think it is awesome!!! Before I can give you advice I have a few questions... Do you have any previous Cat Experience?? If so what have you driven??? Where do you do the majority of your boating??? As I'm sure you're aware, it is important to take these factors into consideration when deciding what type of boat you should purchase. The Nortech has a solid ride and is generally on the heavier side from a MTI or Skater. As a result of the extra weight they have a tendency to be a little slower. If you do not have a lot of cat experience the extra weight is not a bad thing as it will make the ride feel a bit more stable and a little easier to drive. Don't get me wrong, MTI and Skater are fantastic boats however they come from a racing pedigree where the Nortech comes from more of a pleasure boat background. In addition, I think you'll find the insurance costs on a Nortech versus other cats to be a bit less. My cat has Mercury 850s and it cruises at 100 all day long and has a top speed in the mid-130s. There are a couple things that you need to make sure the boat you're considering has. Mercury #6 drives are the only way to go as Bravo drives are not strong enough for that boat. In addition Nortech pioneered stealth exhaust and I would absolutely NOT buy a boat without it. Loud exhaust is fun but it gets tired real fast and the super quite exhaust is a very nice feature. As far as power goes most of the older Nortech cats on the market do not have Mercury motors. Although Nortech has built some great motors, I personally feel that Mercury is the only way to go. My boat runs great and I know having black motors will help me with the resale... I know this thread may sound like a commercial for my boat because it is listed in the classifieds

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o32039-en.html

The only reason why I want to sell is because I would like to get something longer. Most of my boating is in New Jersey and the Atlantic can get some big water. The 36 handles the ocean as good or better then any 36 foot boat could however as we all know, there is no substitute for length. PM me and let’s talk more...

Last edited by maxonmike; 01-16-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Great all around cat. And I was severly impressed with it's rough water handling. A bunch of us went for a run a few years back up the pacific coast north of L.A. From Channel Islands harbor to Santa Barbara. About 8 boats, all V's except a 36 supercat. Turned out the water was snotty and about a legit 4-6' foot swell. We quartered the swell and still is was tough going due to the swell being stacked. I kept looking over and the cat was running strong and sticking to the water. I was very impressed.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:27 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by maxonmike
I own a 36 Nortech Cat and I think it is awesome!!! Before I can give you advice I have a few questions... Do you have any previous Cat Experience?? If so what have you driven??? Where do you do the majority of your boating??? As I'm sure you're aware, it is important to take these factors into consideration when deciding what type of boat you should purchase. The Nortech has a solid ride and is generally on the heavier side from a MTI or Skater. As a result of the extra weight they have a tendency to be a little slower. If you have not had a lot of cat experience the extra weight is not a bad thing as it will make the ride feel a bit more stable and a little easier to drive. Don't get me wrong, MTI and Skater are fantastic boats however they come from a racing pedigree where the Nortech comes from more of a pleasure boat background. In addition, I think you'll find the insurance costs on a Nortech versus other cats to be a bit less. My cat has Mercury 850s and it cruises at 100 all day long and has a top speed in the mid-130s. There are a couple things that you need to make sure the boat you're considering has. Mercury #6 drives are the only way to go as Bravo drives are not strong enough for that boat. In addition Nortech pioneered stealth exhaust and I would absolutely NOT buy a boat without it. Loud exhaust is fun but it gets tired real fast and the super quite exhaust is a very nice feature. As far as power goes most of the older Nortech cats on the market do not have Mercury motors. Although Nortech has built some great motors I personally feel that Mercury is the only way to go. My boat runs great and I know having black motors will help me with the resale... I know this thread may sound like a commercial for my boat because it is listed in the classifieds

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o32039-en.html

The only reason why I want to sell is because I would like to get something longer. Most of my boating is in New Jersey and the Atlantic can get some big water. The 36 handles the ocean as good as any 36 foot boat could however as we all know, there is no substitute for length. PM me and let’s talk more...
Jeese, the original owner really picked some ugly colors....... Just kidding, the boat looks great!

Never had a ride in 36, but for the fact that you can hide underdeck with a bit of room, and can run 150+ with 1075's, this would be the cat I would like to own someday! I really like the syling cues of the 36 as well. And if chicks don't like the engine hatches, they can go lay on the deck!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 AM
Bling Bling
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by thisistank
Great all around cat. And I was severly impressed with it's rough water handling. A bunch of us went for a run a few years back up the pacific coast north of L.A. From Channel Islands harbor to Santa Barbara. About 8 boats, all V's except a 36 supercat. Turned out the water was snotty and about a legit 4-6' foot swell. We quartered the swell and still is was tough going due to the swell being stacked. I kept looking over and the cat was running strong and sticking to the water. I was very impressed.

Hey Tank, some friends and I were just talking about that run the other day. I loved my Nor-tech. Terry Sobo is great to work with and Nor-tech is top notch. I miss those days looking over the bow and seeing 2 points instead of now 1 point.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Did I just hear Terry say "It's a NorTech Galaxy"
Old 01-16-2010, 07:48 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Did I just hear Terry say "It's a NorTech Galaxy"
Brown-noser!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Brown-noser!
lol I dont own one. dont be hater
Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Brown-noser!
Hey... even the Skater Guys are switching over..LOOK

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
No kids here let it ride. You can please some of the people some of the time but will never will you please all the people all the time. With all the crap going on in our great nation this is a great way to side track for awhile. Its all good offshore family with some step kids. Show me a family thats not disfunctional. The world can my ars its a NOR-TECH NATION

The truth never lies
Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by blingbling
Hey Tank, some friends and I were just talking about that run the other day. I loved my Nor-tech. Terry Sobo is great to work with and Nor-tech is top notch. I miss those days looking over the bow and seeing 2 points instead of now 1 point.
Damn greg, I wouldve mentioned you by name but you're never around here anymore! Of course I couldve added the fact that most of the boats turned around half way there and went to Ventura for lunch because the water sucked, but you and Sean kept going! :-)

I remember Chet huffman (owns way nutz) was with me and kept saying how much he loved his 43' nor-tech but how he was impressed with the way your 36 handled that water.

Last edited by thisistank; 01-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.