Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
42' Epoxy OL, your opinion? >

42' Epoxy OL, your opinion?

Notices

42' Epoxy OL, your opinion?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not specific to OL, but Skater has been using epoxy for a while. Also, I'm sure there are numerous epoxy sailboats out there. OL purchased that sailboat company (can't remember name) to get their epoxy process and people.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catmando
Indeed. Teague tested a 42 and he said it was like driving a block of concrete.
That's funny, why did teague and powerboat vote the epoxy 42 and carbon 42 Offshore V Bottoms of the year and Custom Boat of the year?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sean H
Does OL build any new boats out of VE? I know they build both glass and carbon, but do they switch resins as well?
No, the only VE we use is for Mold Construction.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Panther
Speaking of Epoxy boats... They all seem to be painted and scratch easily, why? Compared to a VE or Poly boat they have gelcoat... Do they make a Epoxy gelcoat if someone doesn't want to paint the boat? I've seen quite a few Epoxy boats 2-3 years old and they're going for paint touch-ups, fade spots and/or clearcoat fixes.
Most of the OL's are Gel Cote that is painted over, we have done a few that were just Gel, and we have done a few that had no gel. Anything is possible.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jassman
that would be a question for Fred.. I un-like most, prefer a softer ride and am not interested in getting the last mph out of my boat. In return I'm well aware that the ride I got from Mike and Fred was as good as it get's at 80+mph in 4-5's could not be achieved in a glass boat. It helped that Mike was driving also...OMGSMP. LOL
The new generation SL 36 and SL 44 and SL 52 are built out of e-glass with an all Carbon Monocoque Grid. That boat is extremely strong, but rides very soft.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by animalhouse
The new generation SL 36 and SL 44 and SL 52 are built out of e-glass with an all Carbon Monocoque Grid. That boat is extremely strong, but rides very soft.
Thanks for clearing that up.. cause I really like the lines of the 44 vs the 46..which was my favorite OL. I'm anxious to see the 36.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by animalhouse
No, the only VE we use is for Mold Construction.
that is what I assumed, but some of these guys throw the word out "epoxy" like there is an alternative.

here is a vote for anything built out of foam/epoxy/e-glass/carbon (OL, Mystics, DW's)...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Any owners on the board that have owned a 42' and the 46' OL's? Please let me know your experiences!

Last edited by Panther; 01-18-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

PS, the 46' with trip. 700's was on Worlds Most Expensive Rides last night, great show!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Any owners on the board that have owned a 42' and the 46' OL's? Please let me know your experiences!
I've got a 46 with 1075s. Last boat was a 46 cig with triple 575's. Rides are completely different. I can't say the OL is rougher, or more uncomfortable. The difference is there are no rattles or vibrations. You can tell the boat doesnt flex, and is strong as ****.

To me there are about 3 differences:
1. The OL rides flatter, is easier to see out of. It is also much easier to keep level because the beam is slightly wider, and with a bunch of people on in changing water, it is easier to drive level.
2. In really rough water, they both are tough rides, no free lunch there. The difference was in rough water that wasnt big, like in 5-7 footers, you could play a little more with the cigarette, and jump for air. It felt like it was hard on the boat, but always so much fun, you wanted to do it, even if the boat took a beating. In the OL, since it doesnt take off at an angle, and instead stays flatter, you tend not to go airborne so much, so you tend not to try, and therefore, I don't hammer it in big water (unlike when they race them I guess), since I've got a tv, ac, etc on board.
3. When it is 3 footers or less, and when slight chop, the outerlimits is really a fun ride. You can hit the throttles at 70 and feel the acceleration, and when it gets up at about 105 and lifts out of the water, it takes off again. When the water is really flat, it is ultra cool to run it up like that and feel it just take off. It is really comfortable like that.

As far as the gel coat, and paint, I can't tell a difference. I've had the OL 2 and a half years, and it is holding up great.

Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.