Notices

Is it over????

Old 01-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it over????

Growing up and living in Louisiana boating is a part of life. I bought my first speed boat when I was 18, a Switzer shooting star. From there I was a total Miami Vice fanatic. I owmed a Stryker, a Scarab and a Sonic among many other unmentionables.
I`m 44 years old and I just dont find the the passion I lived with all my life for boats and boating.
Is it just me? Boating has changed so much. My friends and I were such an elite club and I was always so proud of my boat because it was so unique. Now days, everybody and their brother has a boat that we would have givin our eye teeth for. Most of these boat owners are young folks that got into the "club" just by financial circumstance and dont have the appreciation for both the life style and love of the machinery.
Anyway, I just thought that someone would have something clever to say that re spark my interest.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Registered

I still like looking at the bikini girls, but even that is not enough to make me buy another boat.

By the way... I`ve got a lot on the Diversion Canal for sale if anyone around here is interested.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny g
Most of these boat owners are young folks that got into the "club" just by financial circumstance and dont have the appreciation for both the life style and love of the machinery.
Not sure that is fair necessarily. There are some of us young guys that do it because we love it. I enjoy wrenching, and maintaining so that I can get out and boat. My wife and I sacrifice other areas of our life so we can get out and boat. We never vacation, don't own newer cars, live in a 1200 SqFt 45 year old house, don't go out to dinner, don't splurge on other "stuff" - all so that when summer comes we can fire up the boat and do what we love.

That love and appreciation is still there in a lot of guys, there is just more exposure to the bigger/badder/faster/louder guys who might be doing it because of "financial circumstance"
Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

For me the way I feel when I'm running cant be matched, when I first got my tiger, I left out of Annapolis about 7 am just as light was breaking and the Chesapeake bay was calm, just small rolling waves. Just rolling along about 60 mph I remember thinking how nice it was and these were the moments that make it worthwhile. When other idiot boaters cause drama, I find it easier now to just smile and either go the other way or just leave. I have my friends that i boat with that make it enjoyable and just mind my own business and just enjoy my life. that was an hour and a half of absolutely perfect boating.

Sieze the day, dont let others ruin it for you. lots of the ones around here take themselves way to serious.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 01-24-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZdY...eature=related
Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Not sure that is fair necessarily. There are some of us young guys that do it because we love it. I enjoy wrenching, and maintaining so that I can get out and boat. My wife and I sacrifice other areas of our life so we can get out and boat. We never vacation, don't own newer cars, live in a 1200 SqFt 45 year old house, don't go out to dinner, don't splurge on other "stuff" - all so that when summer comes we can fire up the boat and do what we love.

That love and appreciation is still there in a lot of guys, there is just more exposure to the bigger/badder/faster/louder guys who might be doing it because of "financial circumstance"

I agree with you Seafordguy. I'm 27 and have owned my own boats since 16. My family does not boat nor have they ever owned a boat. Nor have they ever given me any money for a boat! If anything I think its been harder for us younger guys to break into the offshore boating scene. The reason I fell in love with the sport is because of the passion and excitement I found in boaters who were older than me. It made me think, "man I want to be a part of that." Unfortunately your statement keeps me out of some boating circles. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to introduce myself to a group of offshore boaters only to be treated rudely and unfairly. Why? Because those guys were thinking the same as you were. "Look at this young punk riding around with daddy's boat!" When really I am killing my self at work and sacrificing other luxuries (bigger house, better cars, etc...) just to have my boat.

It's sad that you have lost the passion, but don't try to blame others for it!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NKissau
I agree with you Seafordguy. I'm 27 and have owned my own boats since 16. My family does not boat nor have they ever owned a boat. Nor have they ever given me any money for a boat! If anything I think its been harder for us younger guys to break into the offshore boating scene. The reason I fell in love with the sport is because of the passion and excitement I found in boaters who were older than me. It made me think, "man I want to be a part of that." Unfortunately your statement keeps me out of some boating circles. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to introduce myself to a group of offshore boaters only to be treated rudely and unfairly. Why? Because those guys were thinking the same as you were. "Look at this young punk riding around with daddy's boat!" When really I am killing my self at work and sacrificing other luxuries (bigger house, better cars, etc...) just to have my boat.

It's sad that you have lost the passion, but don't try to blame others for it!
i agree!! i am 54years old i own 26 pc and a 24baja rxt wave runner and a avon 11 ft with 25hp . my son is 18 and is looking for a small donzi to buy .i say go for it and be happy
Old 01-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a huster 32 1990 an an 87 cafe racer. Only way i afford it is to work on it my self and wheel and deal. Im 26 live with my girlfriend and just make it work. Depense how much you love it will determinre what you will sacrifiece to have it. I need to sell the hustler to finish the cafe. It is what it is.
-Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Growing up and living in Louisiana boating is a part of life. I bought my first speed boat when I was 18, a Switzer shooting star. From there I was a total Miami Vice fanatic. I owmed a Stryker, a Scarab and a Sonic among many other unmentionables.
I`m 44 years old and I just dont find the the passion I lived with all my life for boats and boating.
Is it just me? Boating has changed so much. My friends and I were such an elite club and I was always so proud of my boat because it was so unique. Now days, everybody and their brother has a boat that we would have givin our eye teeth for. Most of these boat owners are young folks that got into the "club" just by financial circumstance and dont have the appreciation for both the life style and love of the machinery.
Anyway, I just thought that someone would have something clever to say that re spark my interest.

Thats too bad I love being out on the water water with other boats or out there by myself just for a sunday ride. As for being the elite there is always someone bigger and better, don't let it get to ya.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a curious post...in the wee hous of the morning.

Seriously though, I wonder if there is something else going in your life to make you ponder your desire to be on the water. I too grew up on the water and have a desire to be ON it, that I'm pretty darn sure will never leave me. What may change will be my desire to enjoy THIS sport of high dollar, high performance boating. That thought has crossed my mind. But, there will always be another boat in my future...until I'm 6 feet under!

But why do look down on younger folks who have the same passion for being on the water? Our boat club is loaded with them. Most are hard working folk like mentioned above. The others, well, there are plenty other places to hang out. And we know they can rarely keep up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.