Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Notices

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I purchased my 28 turnkey.
I know the previous owners very well and the history on the boat.

With such great confidence in my purchase, the day I picked it up was the same day I ran it in the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run "OUTSIDE" .

It kicked up a bit out there as it typically does. 3 to 5's.
I immediately found the sweet spot which was around 60 to 65.

She went right across the top of the waves just fine.

One other time I got caught off guard when the wind came around off shore while inside Shark River taking a slow cruise. I came back out and it already built to over 6 feet. Tried to run in it but wasn't getting enough water to my lowers. So rather than risk everything and beat on the boat, I dropped it back and took it easy until I made way to my home inlet....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who wants to ride in a 25 foot anything in rough sea's. And what year was your uncles 256 mastercraft240
Old 02-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Registered
VIP Member

My 1st boat that I ever owned all by myself, no partnership with dad or grandpa, was a 17 ft Checkmate with a 140 Johnson, what a freekin blast that boat was. I will say, the craftsmanship was not the best, but the boat was 15 years old and the price was right. I couldn't even imagine how much $ I have spent on boats since then, but I never had more fun on any other boat. Those days and that boat were so crazy that it got to the point where none of my friends would even go on the boat any longer. No doubt the big guy in the sky was watching out for us.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenstein
My 1st boat that I ever owned all by myself, no partnership with dad or grandpa, was a 17 ft Checkmate with a 140 Johnson, what a freekin blast that boat was. I will say, the craftsmanship was not the best, but the boat was 15 years old and the price was right. I couldn't even imagine how much $ I have spent on boats since then, but I never had more fun on any other boat. Those days and that boat were so crazy that it got to the point where none of my friends would even go on the boat any longer. No doubt the big guy in the sky was watching out for us.
I sure know that feeling.....

My older brother still has nightmares from the time I took him out.....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bimini run
Need an opinion, thinking of buying a 30 ft Checkmate with twin 2.5 racing engines (new). How reliable are these engines? I can change spark plugs, winterize and do a little wrenching, but nothing major. Are these things going to need major overhauls every 100 hours? Any opinions on this set-up? Is this too much HP for this boat? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Lightspeed, Mastercraft, and Indy,
OK perhaps it is just me, but did any of you guys read the original question? It was regarding specifically the Mrec 2.5's, their reliability, maintenance issues, etc... The only mention of the boat was is this too much HP for the boat?

I have a 96 253 Convincor with over 540 hrs on it that spent it's entire life at LOTO (for those of you that have never been to LOTO I can assure you Keytime's washing machine comment is no exageration). There is not a single stress crack on the boat. I looked at a lot of boats before I bought this one and it was absolutely the nicest I found.

And, what gives with comparing a 25" Checkmate to a 33' anything. Apples to apples folks...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Registered

Yeah but they had to open thier mouths with worthless posts and then when you challenge that the retreat or dont answer. Part of the Popous elitest S&F we know everything crowd. Now I will assure you there are guys over there like overhere that do know just about everything but that spoiled kid and the "BUYER" of old tired Progresions aren't them.
ChecKmate has a loyal following for one reason Quality.
And Masterdope stop with your Lake boat nonsense --There are lakes out there where on the weekends you would really need "driving lessons"
Remember this "Sonny Boy" that salt water is a softer more bouyant ride then fresh water and alot more forgiving -- -- -- So before you open your mouth with another one of you famous quotes "Lake Boats" Go get you your boat and bring it to Lake George in New York on a sunday in the summer or one of the great lakes -- Then you will see that you will need Superman to save the KRPTONITE THIS TIME.

Last edited by Getchecked; 02-08-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I Had One Of Those Checkmates A 28 With 2.5s On It And It Was One Of The Worse Boats I Ever Owned The Transom Had Gel Cracks All Over It And You Had To Run The Tabs Down At Mid Speeds Cause It Hopped Real Bad The Faster You Went Then You Could Raise The Tabs Up A Little If You Put Any Trim In It It Would Go To The Moon,,,It Was Set Up By Ocean Outboard Was The Twin To Tonys Boat Maybe The 30 Is Better But I Hated The 28,,,Bought It Brand New At The Factory As A race Boat No Cabin Just All Bulk Heads My Progression Would Run Circles Around It,,You Guys Dont Have A Clue Cause You Didnt Have Both,,,Just Stating If He Wanted To Get Into A Real Nice Boat For Little Money He Could Have The Progression,,, But Its Sold Now Anyway ,,, Heres A Pic Of The 28,
Attached Thumbnails Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs-picture-528.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lightspeed
Well I Had One Of Those Checkmates A 28 With 2.5s On It And It Was One Of The Worse Boats I Ever Owned
I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the 28... that was a beautiful boat and I've admired it in photos I've seen... it sure looked sweet! Sucks that it didn't handle worth a crap, I would have never guessed that

off topic: Did the Tempest sell? I see its outta the classifieds over there...
Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Getchecked
I apologize if the Son remark wa insulting-- I wish I was young enough so I could be refered as such, but please accept my apology.
Progress.......

And then when you call them out on it -- they cry like little girls with thier feelings hurt because they do not know how to retreat.
I said I was sorry to the guy just to end the chit. The fact is they can talk all they want. Imagine a guy who starts a thread looking for driving lessons -- bad mouthing a boat -- and then saying -- I never said anything bad. All these Pompous elites are full of themselves!!
Wait.... getting dumber....

Yeah but they had to open thier mouths with worthless posts and then when you challenge that the retreat or dont answer. Part of the Popous elitest S&F we know everything crowd. Now I will assure you there are guys over there like overhere that do know just about everything but that spoiled kid and the "BUYER" of old tired Progresions aren't them.
And Masterdope stop with your Lake boat nonsense --There are lakes out there where on the weekends you would really need "driving lessons"
Remember this "Sonny Boy" that salt water is a softer more bouyant ride then fresh water and alot more forgiving -- -- -- So before you open your mouth with another one of you famous quotes "Lake Boats" Go get you your boat and bring it to Lake George in New York on a sunday in the summer or one of the great lakes -- Then you will see that you will need Superman to save the KRPTONITE THIS TIME.
HOLY SH*TTT!!! HE'S.............DUMBER!??!?!? OMG You, me, and a good majority of this board could benefit from Tres Martin's course. Trying to make fun of someone who's aiming to be a safer, more intellectual boater is plain stupid.

Last edited by Mastercraft240; 02-08-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.